Not enough sleep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanddancer

Promethazine Hydrachloride (Brand name Phenargen or weaker is night nurse) is indicated for a sedative effect and I know a lot of colleagues use it when rotating on/off nights. It's an anti-histamine. Just follow the instructions on the Patient Information Leaflet inside.

Personally I would rather have a few tired days than resort to drugs ;)
Unless its alcohol :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Personally I would rather have a few tired days than resort to drugs ;)
Unless its alcohol :biggrin:
Not a 'drug'....well they are but antihistamines are far far far less harmless than booze. Booze has the complete opposite effect, it disrupts the circadian rhythms and stops the rem cycle.

sanddancer

Not a 'drug'....well they are but antihistamines are far far far less harmless than booze. Booze has the complete opposite effect, it disrupts the circadian rhythms and stops the rem cycle.

Have you seen the potential list of side effects ? :eek:

Mind you i could do with some this morning, I've only had an hour after my last 12hr night this morning :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Have you seen the potential list of side effects ? :eek:

Mind you i could do with some this morning, I've only had an hour after my last 12hr night this morning :biggrin:
Still less than booze and sugar. I agree they're not for me but they are widely used to aid sleep for short periods of time.

sanddancer

Still less than booze and sugar. I agree they're not for me but they are widely used to aid sleep for short periods of time.

My body is attuned to alcohol, especially red wine :biggrin:
I am just looking at some case studies on alcohol and circadian rhythms but I am afraid I will need more sleep to take it in :biggrin:

do your colleagues just take night nurse as and when required ?
As I have heard people say it takes a week or so to adjust to it ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You get in at 6pm and go to bed at 1am.
Thats 7 hours... what are you doing with all that time?

Cooking a meal and cleaning up after shouldn't take more then an hour. What are you doing for the other 6 hours?

david k

Hi
I`m wondering............

I have a busy job, and as a result, I try to make the evenings as long as possible, so more often than not I am retiring to bed at about 1am, only to be awoken by the alarm (bastard thing LOL!) at 6.10am. I cycle to work too which is 23 miles round trip, but I always look tired and drawn, with "bags" under my eyes.

Am I staying up too late? If so what is a good time to call it a day? So many people have told me I look "run down" lately, and it`s starting to make me think..............

You need more sleep, m surprised you're not tired and sleepy in the evenings?

Ian A

Über Member
I've never slept well but the last few years I've had consistent poor sleep with no real respite. Family health problems being the cause rather than a rock star lifestyle. I've gone from being told I look younger than my age to looking like my dad. Address it now before it's too late :tired::ohmy::laugh:.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I`ve taken to eating sarnies for tea, just because I`m sick of being tied to the bloody kitchen!
Buy a slow cooker. Put it on before you go to work and your meal will be ready when you get home. If you do enough, you can have enough for two or three meals .

Another one in the "no sleep" club here, I see so much in this thread that I relate to and it's not doing me any good. Since I'm technically an ecommerce manager but increasingly a graphic designer plus the sorry state of the cycle department frustrated me so that is now my domain and we now have a decent entry level range, a good women's range and increasing e-bikes and accessories - but with no-one except me to run it and do the assembly, servicing, buying, stock replen, add to the website etc..

Which means I get to work at 9, finish work between 7 and 10, eat a takeaway or a pot noodle, feel cheated if I were to go to bed at 10/11 with no "me time" - couldn't sleep anyway with things going round my head, so then end up getting a "second wind" and going to bed at 1. Oh and working 7 days, with only 2 days off so far this year.

And I'm breaking, with only a 12 mile round trip....

I'm good at telling other people not to do things though, and not so good at getting out of the habit myself.

I definitely think that there is an "over-tired" which becomes a self perpetuating cycle because at 22:10 tonight as I type this, there is no way my brain will shut off and allow me to sleep for at least another couple of hours

Ian A

Über Member
Another one in the "no sleep" club here, I see so much in this thread that I relate to and it's not doing me any good. Since I'm technically an ecommerce manager but increasingly a graphic designer plus the sorry state of the cycle department frustrated me so that is now my domain and we now have a decent entry level range, a good women's range and increasing e-bikes and accessories - but with no-one except me to run it and do the assembly, servicing, buying, stock replen, add to the website etc..

Which means I get to work at 9, finish work between 7 and 10, eat a takeaway or a pot noodle, feel cheated if I were to go to bed at 10/11 with no "me time" - couldn't sleep anyway with things going round my head, so then end up getting a "second wind" and going to bed at 1. Oh and working 7 days, with only 2 days off so far this year.

And I'm breaking, with only a 12 mile round trip....

I'm good at telling other people not to do things though, and not so good at getting out of the habit myself.

I definitely think that there is an "over-tired" which becomes a self perpetuating cycle because at 22:10 tonight as I type this, there is no way my brain will shut off and allow me to sleep for at least another couple of hours
I appreciate nothing is easy and these kind if situations can happen to anyone but I would suggest your main priority should be changing job.

Top Bottom