November forum ride from Hebden Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
colly said:
Oh boy are my legs aching now?:sad:

I had quite forgotten what fun feckin lunacy it was climbing the hills around Hebden bridge.

Thanks Colin. :biggrin::biggrin:
Having pretty much had a month's break from cycling, I found the steep hills tough too. At least I had low enough gears to cope with them though. I think I could get away with compact chainsets like yours and Alun's if I was fully fit and slim again, but for now I'll continue to depend on my trusty triple.

I could certainly feel the ride in my legs when I walked downstairs this morning.

colly said:
Colin, do you fancy a ride at the velodrome? That would be right up your street.
Ah... I can really see the appeal of it, but I find the whole idea very intimidating! :tongue:

I went to watch a day's racing at the velodrome when it first opened and I was shocked by the steepness of the banking. I remember thinking "You wouldn't catch me riding up there!"

I also worry about riding fixed wheel. My one experience of that was on a gym bike a few years back. I did a 10 minute warm-up on one with a heavy flywheel, then did a few minutes at a very intense level, after which I decided to transfer to the nearby treadmill. The damn bike kicked back so hard that it lifted me into the air and almost broke my ankles! :biggrin:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
go oooooon have a go. you'll love it.

colly

Re member eR
ColinJ said:
Having pretty much had a month's break from cycling, I found the steep hills tough too. At least I had low enough gears to cope with them though. I think I could get away with compact chainsets like yours and Alun's if I was fully fit and slim again, but for now I'll continue to depend on my trusty triple.

I could certainly feel the ride in my legs when I walked downstairs this morning.

Ah... I can really see the appeal of it, but I find the whole idea very intimidating! :tongue:

I went to watch a day's racing at the velodrome when it first opened and I was shocked by the steepness of the banking. I remember thinking "You wouldn't catch me riding up there!"

:biggrin:

You would be fine Colin.

Just ask 4F. He found it as easy as falling off a bike.:biggrin::smile::sad::smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

shauncollier said:
doing it this weekend. so not just honorary, but bloody late!!!lol
Watch out for ice! Be especially careful descending into that dip at Thursden - it can get really icy down there where the sun doesn't reach at this time of year.

It's probably just a coincidence, but colly - have you been buying bike bits online today? :ohmy:

colly

Re member eR
ColinJ said:
It's probably just a coincidence, but colly - have you been buying bike bits online today? :tongue:

Is that steep bit at Thursden the spot where my hub went??:laugh::wacko:

If it was then..............i'll go t'foot of our stairs. I never realised.:laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

colly said:
Is that steep bit at Thursden the spot where my hub went??:wacko::wacko:

If it was then..............i'll go t'foot of our stairs. I never realised.:biggrin:
Nearly, but not quite - it was 17 km away as the crow flies! ;)

Here, in fact.

Alun made a similar mistake when he thought the steep little climb at Blake Dean was the Jowler climb we did about 6 months ago. He was only 9 km out!

I've often noticed this phenomenon when navigating for other riders. A mate once asked me if the town we could see from our hilltop road (Burnley) was Halifax! I laughed at him and asked how his sense of direction could be so far out. He said that all he could remember from my rides was "going up one hill after another" and he usually didn't have a clue where we actually were!

Alun

Guru
9 Km is pretty close, anyway I find it difficult to navigate when gasping for breath!

Keith Oates

Janner
Good write up Colin, I enjoyed reading it in a nice warm room with a hot cup of tea. One thought I had was, I'm glad I wasn't in a position to say I would join the 'party'.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

shauncollier said:
i think you described the day perfectly, it really was a horrible day weather wise. i did say sorry for making you wait.
Shaun - I'm sorry if it came across as me moaning about you - I was just trying to be humourous! We only waited a few minutes for you and weren't annoyed, it was just a bit disappointing that you had mechanical problems. See you next time! ;)

Top Bottom