November forum ride from Hebden Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
I'll see you there tomorrow, folks.

Just looked at the Metcheck weather forecast for Halifax and notice that gusts are 10,12,16 mph for normal people and 21,22,32 for us cyclists. I don't think that's very fair!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
just checked weather forecast on bbc site. it supposed to be 'heavy snow' today!!!! light rain tomorrow. one thing that all the sites have in common.....low tempretures...bbbrrrr!!!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another night being kept awake by the sound of heavy rain beating down on the window above my bed... I hope it's not like that tomorrow! Things have settled down here now - it's just grey and drizzly. I'm at an altitude of 100 m and parts of the route go up to well over 400 m and conditions up there could be very different. :biggrin:

I've just received an email back from Coldwell Activity Centre asking me to ring them if we want to make a booking because it can be busy on Sunday lunchtimes. I think I'll tell them that 8 of us will be coming. That way, they should set aside two tables for us. If only 6 or 7 of us turn out then we will have plenty of elbow room. If 9 or 10 turn out then we might have to squeeze in round the tables. I reckon that we should get there at about 13:00.

PS The NE wind will be really cold, BUT... it will be helping us on the longest climbs of the day (Cragg Vale and Oxenhope Moor). Usually the wind comes from the SW and makes those climbs harder.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

shauncollier said:
i live at 260m altitude and it sucks. longs climbs home and the grass is a pain in the ass to grow
When I first moved here, I nearly bought a house well up the south-facing hillside of the town. It would have been a great sun-trap with fine views down over the town centre but yes, it would have been a pain to have to ride up to it from the valley. It would also have been far less convenient for the shops. I don't drive so it is very handy being able to just stroll round to the shops and not have to cart my shopping back up a steep hill. 'Live low, play high' is my motto! :biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
I really want to come along tomorrow. I really do. But...

I have a little gremlin at the back of my mind that keeps reminding me of the cold and the wet. Keeps nagging away with all the 'downsides' of a November ride.:sad::sad:

I needs some reminders of all the 'upsides' of a November ride. I'm struggling with it right now. I need some positive input, some damn good reasons why I should get out of my nice warm bed, abandon my nice warm Mrs, and crawl up and down the cold wet windy hills around H.B.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
hard.cold crisp air. hills. laughs. repeat.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

colly said:
I needs some reminders of all the 'upsides' of a November ride. I'm struggling with it right now. I need some positive input, some damn good reasons why I should get out of my nice warm bed, abandon my nice warm Mrs, and crawl up and down the cold wet windy hills around H.B.
Er, it will prepare you for those cold, wet and windy December rides!

It will feel really great when you get back to your van and think "Thank God that's over"!

You can take part in our "ride up very steep hills slowly without falling off" competition.

:smile:

Bokonon said:
Sorry, not going to be able to make it. Those that do go - enjoy yourselves!!
Fair enough - catch you later!

I'm quite intrigued to see how many do turn up apart from myself, Alun and Shaun.

I've just fettled my Basso. I'd been getting a clicking noise from somewhere on the bike on steep climbs and it was really annoying me. I discovered that the lock ring on the cassette was fairly slack so I'm hoping that tightening it will have fixed the problem.

See you in the morning - I'm off to carbo-load (drink beer! :sad:).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

shauncollier said:
colin, where we meeting? checked out google maps, it comes up with loads. is market place car park the one next to the pedestrianisation?
Once again... I refer the honourable cyclist to my somewhat lengthy first post! ;) The map there shows all the car parks.

To get to Market Place car park, if you are coming from Todmorden down Market Street (A646), turn left down Old Gate 100 metres after the Co-op. It's the little one way street before the traffic lights, down the side of the river. Follow the road round to Hanging Royd Lane. Market Place car park is on the right as you go up Hanging Royd Lane.

Right, I'm definitely off for those beers now!

PS I think the car park you are talking about is St Pol and we don't use that one because it costs more and is short stay.

Top Bottom