November forum ride from Hebden Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
ColinJ said:
Shucks, but friends come first - see you in spring 2010 perhaps? (A group of us will probably be doing the Mini North-West Passage again if you fancy coming along for that - starts from Rochdale, Saturday 20th February.)

I am determined to do a ride in or around hebdon before the year is out big C!

If it does fail however I am definitely in for some fresh spring activity. :sad:

trio25

Über Member
Yes loved the mini-NWP last year. Was it feb, I had thought it was later!

BearPear

Veteran
Hi Colin - you posted the link to this thread on my "lost mojo" thread. I forwarded the link to hubby at work to see if he & his mate would be interested.
Would you take a CC member-by-proxy (he reads over my shoulder!) as part of your merry bunch if he is interested in the challenge?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
BearPear said:
Hi Colin - you posted the link to this thread on my "lost mojo" thread. I forwarded the link to hubby at work to see if he & his mate would be interested.
Would you take a CC member-by-proxy (he reads over my shoulder!) as part of your merry bunch if he is interested in the challenge?
Of course, as long as he understands that some of us are not very quick on our bikes, especially going uphill! I always make a point of emphasising that the average speed will be pretty low. I reckon that we will take about 6 hours including the cafe stop. I also hope that he likes hills because there will be lots of them, some very long and some very steep! :evil:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Garz said:
:thumbsup:

Does hebdon have a dinghy shop big C? :thumbsup:
Not yet, but we might be needing one if it carries on raining the way it is! I've been kept awake every night for a week by heavy rain battering down on the Velux window above my bed.

We have had local flooding in the last week, though fortunately not on the scale of what has been happening in Cumbria overnight. Tragic news about the policeman who was swept away to his death when the bridge he was standing on collapsed in Workington. R.I.P.

A lot of flood precaution measures have been put in place locally over the past few years, including a clever scheme in nearby Todmorden. Centre Vale park was dug up and landscaped to create large storage areas for flood water. The idea was to be able to flood the park rather than the town centre if water levels rose too high. It got used on Wednesday, for the first time.

If it carries on like this, we can forget any worries about ice on the ride but the kayak idea becomes more tempting!

Garz

Squat Member
Wow, great that the new flood defences are not only installed but actually working!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Crimmey said:
can anyone tag along??
I wouldn't like there to be a huge number of people because either there wouldn't be room in the cafe or it would take us ages to get served, but I can't see there being more than about 12 or 13 of us, so a few more wouldn't hurt.

If you'd be okay with 53 very hilly miles in about 6 hours including the cafe stop, yes, come along. If that is much too slow for you, then no, because I won't be riding fast enough! :laugh:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm afraid it's looking fairly slim whether I can make it. I got taken down and a fair bit of me is wrapped up in opsite. I can't forsee riding through a bit of pain at the end of November far away from home an especially enjoyable experience. So sorry yet again if that's it until 2010.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'm still in. doing 100km on friday to get to c.m and back (plus bit extra to top up to a cheats century). like i said before tho, i don't mind being left behind. i may be a bit slower due to a small case of saddle sore (weird tho, i'm fastidious and done a couple thousand on my current saddle) and tired legs from friday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

marinyork said:
I'm afraid it's looking fairly slim whether I can make it. I got taken down and a fair bit of me is wrapped up in opsite. I can't forsee riding through a bit of pain at the end of November far away from home an especially enjoyable experience. So sorry yet again if that's it until 2010.
Ouch! I hope it all heals up nicely and we get together in 2010.

aJohnson said:
I may be there I may not. It's a bit iffy so probably dependent on weather as I doubt I'll be able to get all my winter gear by then so here's hoping.
One way or another, I'll be surprised if we don't need the winter gear. It will probably be very wet, very cold or perhaps even both at the same time! :tongue:

shauncollier said:
i'm still in. doing 100km on friday to get to c.m and back (plus bit extra to top up to a cheats century). like i said before tho, i don't mind being left behind. i may be a bit slower due to a small case of saddle sore (weird tho, i'm fastidious and done a couple thousand on my current saddle) and tired legs from friday.
I haven't done anything other than walk a few hundred yards to the shops and back most days for the past couple of weeks. I'm just about over my cold now, though my chest is still wheezy. I'm going to give the gym bike a go today and see how I feel. If I feel good, I'll try and get another 2 or 3 sessions in before the weekend to get the old legs working again. If I don't feel so good, I'll just have to take it easy and do the Sunday ride just on 'muscle-memory'! :blush:

Goodspeed says that he will join us if he doesn't have to work on Sunday.

Top Bottom