November forum ride from Hebden Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

Think I can get a lift off of my brother w/ bike carrier on back, so if you want a lift it'll be fine :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Originally Posted by ColinJ
If you did it clockwise, how did you cope with this climb? :rolleyes:

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the full image.
thursden_climb_large.jpg

thursden valley to widdup bastard climb....did it today colin, part of this route.....

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=25799

i cleaned the hills but only averaged 10 mph so i know coming on your ride i will be seriously be holding you up. it will probably take me 6 hrs. how long do think the group will do it in? beware it was icy up there. one place near slack is so bad they've put warning signs up. it was really windy and bloody freezing.

Attachments

• thursden_climb_large.jpg
    thursden_climb_large.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
shauncollier;993618][QUOTE=ColinJ said:
If you did it clockwise, how did you cope with this climb? ;)

thursden_climb_large.jpg

thursden valley to widdup bastard climb....did it today colin, part of this route.....

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=25799
[/QUOTE]
Well done - I (nearly) always find that a tough climb. Fortunately we will be coming down it!

shauncollier said:
i cleaned the hills but only averaged 10 mph so i know coming on your ride i will be seriously be holding you up. it will probably take me 6 hrs. how long do think the group will do it in?
I refer the honourable cyclist to my somewhat lengthy first post... :smile:

ColinJ said:

After some discussion, we've decided on Sunday 29th November, start time 09:45. [Alun and I have averaged roughly 14 kph (including stops) on similar hilly rides this year so 85 km should take us about 6 hours. Sunset will be 15:53 that day. If Will (Bokonon) is coming in by train from Leeds, the earliest he can get to HB station on a Sunday is 09:29]

If we got delayed by mechanical problems, there's a chance we might do the last few miles as it is getting dark so it would be a good idea to carry lights just in case.

shauncollier said:
beware it was icy up there. one place near slack is so bad they've put warning signs up. it was really windy and bloody freezing.
Yes, I am concerned about the possibility of ice on our ride.

The Thursden descent (photo above) is always potentially icy because it is pretty much in permanent shadow at this time of year and doesn't tend to be gritted.

We will have to be very careful if conditions are very cold. In fact, if they are really bad...
ColinJ said:
I propose a backup plan to ride to the Country Kitchen cafe in Waddington along the valley roads if freezing conditions keep us down off the hills.

Attachments

• thursden_climb_large.jpg
    thursden_climb_large.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 32

RedBike

I've got to give this ride a miss. I'm full of cold and the weather forecast is less than optimistic. I don't think i'm capable of doing a 200mile ride at the moment.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

RedBike said:
I've got to give this ride a miss. I'm full of cold and the weather forecast is less than optimistic. I don't think i'm capable of doing a 200mile ride at the moment.
I hope you get well soon RB. I've got a cold too, but fortunately the 29th is two weeks on Sunday so there is still plenty of time to recover! ;)

As for 200 miles... yikes! :smile: I don't think I'll ever do 145 miles of cycling to and from a 50-something mile forum ride!

RedBike

For some reason I thought the ride was this weekend. Maybe I will make it after all!

I've not plotted my route yet but I think it's about 70/80miles each way to /from the ride. I can always cheat and take the train home if it turns out to be too much!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

ColinJ said:
As for 200 miles... yikes! :biggrin: I don't think I'll ever do 145 miles of cycling to and from a 50-something mile forum ride!
Especially not in the dark at the end of November in northern England!

RedBike said:
For some reason I thought the ride was this weekend. Maybe I will make it after all!
There was some discussion about the date early in the thread but we eventually settled on the last weekend in November.

Hopefully you will be able to make it.

RedBike said:
I've not plotted my route yet but I think it's about 70/80miles each way to /from the ride. I can always cheat and take the train home if it turns out to be too much!
That train home sounds like a good idea!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Garz said:
One can only assume Colin has arctic-wear for his insane habitat.
I don't do much cold weather and/or wet weather riding because I usually choose to go out when conditions are better, but for special occasions such as audax rides, sportives and forum rides (when I make more of an effort), I have a pair of thermal shower-resistant bibtights, an Endura waterproof jacket, a long-sleeved base layer, a long-sleeved jersey, long-fingered thermal gloves, two buffs for neck/face insulation and I recently found a Gore Windstopper skull cap my size which should keep my head and ears snug (I think PaulB is wearing a similar one in the photo below). Oh, and a pair of neoprene overshoes. If things get really bad, I have a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks somewhere too!

Here's a picture of me thus attired with some fellow Cycle-Chatters on a cold forum ride in mid-February this year:

longers_calum_paulb_colinj_waddington_cyclists_cafe.jpg

L-R longers, Calum, PaulB, ColinJ

Speaking of longers, Calum and PaulB - do any of you fancy coming along on this ride? :laugh:

It's gone quite mild again here, only with stupidly strong winds and heavy rain instead of the cold.

Attachments

• longers_calum_paulb_colinj_waddington_cyclists_cafe.jpg
    longers_calum_paulb_colinj_waddington_cyclists_cafe.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 31

aJohnson

I'm saving up for some more winter gear, the things top of the list are overshoes, skull cap & some thermal gloves. I can currently use leg warmers for my legs with thermals underneath if needed be.

Garz

Squat Member
My feet have only been the problem lately. Shall try some thermal socks and overshoes on my next ride.

Top Bottom