November forum ride from Hebden Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
This ride clashes with a cyclocross race I want to do, so knowing me the decision will be made on the day. If Ali wants to ride we'll be out in the hills. If not I'll probably be cross racing!

aJohnson

Garz said:
My feet have only been the problem lately. Shall try some thermal socks and overshoes on my next ride.

Ah, on my last ride my feet and hands were cold and I presume my head may be a problem on a longer colder ride, so a skull cap is in my list.

Garz

Squat Member
I went for a ride today and solved the feet problem. However I received a lovely punture not long after it started hammering down with rain. Faulty inner tube rubber weld below the valve split a large hole so marred what would have been a triumphant day in the saddle.

Onwards and upwards as they say! :sad:

aJohnson

I was going to go out today... then it started raining... heavy. I've not had a proper ride since last sunday (Done one or two turbo sessions), best get out tomorrow.

EDIT: Wow, a week of little riding really makes a difference, did a quick 20miles today and the first(out of two) hard hills in Ashworth Valley really got to me. Didn't do the 20miles I planned but did 20 nonetheless (Ashworth Valley was flooded near the end so I had to turn back)

Garz

Squat Member
Got out today for a short 25 miler, then the sun came out! :biggrin:

Did you do all three ashworth climbs andy?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
aJohnson said:
EDIT: Wow, a week of little riding really makes a difference, did a quick 20miles today and the first(out of two) hard hills in Ashworth Valley really got to me.
That doesn't bode well for me then! I had a week away visiting the family when all I managed to squeeze in was about 12 miles of singlespeed riding and about 6 miles of brisk walking.

For the week since then I've been laid up with a cold and have done nothing other than walk to the shops a few times (a 0.5 mile round trip). :thumbsup:

I probably won't feel like riding for another few days while I fight off this bug, so that will only leave me about a week and a half to get the old legs working again before the forum ride. :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
did this today.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26059

set off trying to go round your route colin. it was really windy all the way from oxenhope to the top of the crag vale climb (little restbite in hebden). i was pretty tired by this point so i just went the direct way home. 300m less climbing but about 6 miles longer. averaged 9.65 mph. (i think i worked it out right, 6hrs 13 minutes, not including about 1 hours worth of breaks). got scalped twice on the crag vale climb, second time just as i shouted out to myself.."yes i've done it". bet he thought i was a bit odd. i don't think i did too bad considering i was on a brompton, it was windy and i was my second silly hilly ride this week. crag vale is not as bad as i thought it was going to be, but the bloody wind was relentless.

aJohnson

Garz said:
Got out today for a short 25 miler, then the sun came out! :biggrin:

Did you do all three ashworth climbs andy?

First two, couldn't get to the last one due to the road being flooded, I couldn't have walked around it either due to the fences :biggrin:

@Colin, guess it's dependent on your body, the climb was always pretty hard but it really got me today.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

shauncollier said:
got scalped twice on the crag vale climb, second time just as i shouted out to myself.."yes i've done it". bet he thought i was a bit odd. i don't think i did too bad considering i was on a brompton, it was windy and i was my second silly hilly ride this week. crag vale is not as bad as i thought it was going to be, but the bloody wind was relentless.
Yeah, the wind is what can make that climb difficult. The gradient isn't anything to worry about. It nearly always comes at you as a cross-headwind from the right. I've experienced it so bad that I could hardly make forward progress once I got onto the open moorland.

The wind is usually not quite so bad coming up from Oxenhope but sometimes that climb can be a beast as well, especially as it is steeper than the Cragg Vale climb.

On one rare occasion, the wind was coming up the hill and it just happened to be a day when I was doing the loop the other way round, descending from Blackstone Edge towards Cragg Vale - typical! :biggrin: That headwind was so strong that I had to stand up in my lowest gear (then 40/28) in order to get down the hill. When I stopped pedalling, the wind almost blew me backwards up the hill! :biggrin:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the wind is a bromptonauts worst nightmare, that useful bag can be a bit of a handbrake.

i agree the oxenhope climb is worse than crag vale, but the one coming out of colne, the lenches rd, that was part of my ride earlier in the week is much much worse.

good to know that you will be not up to speed on the 29th, gives me a chance of hanging onto the pack...:biggrin:

Garz

Squat Member
Bit disappointed I found this event clashes with a visit from friends across the pond. Chances of attendance are slim now. :wacko:

Svendo

Guru
Hello all,

My frame is back from the menders, so assuming I can put it all back together properly, I hope to be along for this ride. It turned out the frame was cracked at the seatstay/dropout weld after all, so its been welded back together and part of the frame resprayed. The last forum ride I did was what moved it about and cracked the paint enough for me to be sure it wan't just the edge of the weld but an actual crack that was spreading!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Garz said:
Bit disappointed I found this event clashes with a visit from friends across the pond. Chances of attendance are slim now. :rolleyes:
Shucks, but friends come first - see you in spring 2010 perhaps? (A group of us will probably be doing the Mini North-West Passage again if you fancy coming along for that - starts from Rochdale, Saturday 20th February.)

Svendo said:
Hello all,

My frame is back from the menders, so assuming I can put it all back together properly, I hope to be along for this ride. It turned out the frame was cracked at the seatstay/dropout weld after all, so its been welded back together and part of the frame resprayed. The last forum ride I did was what moved it about and cracked the paint enough for me to be sure it wan't just the edge of the weld but an actual crack that was spreading!
Well spotted that man!

I hope that my body is 'back from the menders' in time - I currently feel like I'm a 70 year old with a 70-a-day smoking habit! :laugh:

I am also hoping that we get a day that isn't wet and windy, but is also not cold and icy - fingers crossed!

trio25

Über Member
Totally can't make this. I've got the cross races mixed up and its my local event on this day. Seeing as it starts less than 2 miles from my house and is ran by my club and I really have to be there!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

trio25 said:
Totally can't make this. I've got the cross races mixed up and its my local event on this day. Seeing as it starts less than 2 miles from my house and is ran by my club and I really have to be there!
It is possible that I might arrange something else in December or January if we have a good spell of settled weather but in reality I'm more likely to just nip out and do a quick 25 mile ride here and there to keep my legs ticking over and do most of my exercise indoors over the winter.

See you at the mini-NWP in February then?

PS Good luck with the cyclo-cross race!

Top Bottom