November forum ride from Hebden Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Not long ago I had a weak cold certain symptoms only lasted total of say three days (sore throat one day, off colour another, cough at end). For some reason the sporadic chesty cough took me about five weeks to get rid of. Dont know if the cycling prolonged it, either way it didn't effect me in any way and I continued cycling.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
can't wait. had 3 days off the bike so far (well a cheeky 8 miles this morning), it's driving me mad. i must be hooked. going to be tired come sunday night and wet by the look of the weather.

Garz

Squat Member
I had a week and a half off, couldnt believe it! Thing is its too easy to slip off the pace and this winter period I can tell is going to be really tough to maintain good fitness. Must try harder. :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't done anything more than a walk to the shops and back since November 9th so I'm probably going to find Sunday 'a wee bit tough'! :smile:

I've checked 3 different weather forecasts for Sunday and 2 of them suggest that it will be cold, but dry, with sunny spells. :biggrin: It would be better not to talk about the third forecast... :smile:

If any of you arrive at the Market Place car park early, you can probably get a cup of coffee (and some shelter, if you need it!) at Cafe Belview, directly opposite. I'm assuming that the cafe opens at about 09:00, but to be honest I've never checked it out that early on a Sunday.

I'll appear at about 09:35 and we should aim to get off on time (09:45) to make maximum use of the remaining daylight.

If anybody turns up late and we've already set off, just head for Mytholmroyd and turn right up the Cragg Vale road. I won't be racing up that climb so you should be able to make up 10-15 minutes on me before the top.

If you are really late, we will be going past the mini-roundabout in the centre of Todmorden at about 11:15 so you could head straight down the A646 to Tod and wait for us there. If you are tempted to head up the A6033 towards Littleborough to meet us, please note that we will be doing two little detours off the main road so there would be a good chance of you missing us unless you did them in reverse.

It would be much simpler just to arrive on time and then we can all set off together.

Oh, by the way... If it is as cold as I think it is going to be, the quicker climbers might well not want to hang about at Blackstone Edge waiting for me (and any other slow riders) to get up there. You'd have two choices then - turn back down towards Cragg Vale and ride back until you meet up with the stragglers and then do the last bit of the climb again to keep you warm (and get another mile or two in!) OR turn right at the junction (***CAUTION IF IT IS FOGGY/MISTY UP THERE!!!***) and descend to warmer condtions in Littleborough. NB - we are going straight through at the traffic lights, so don't turn right towards Todmorden - wait BEFORE the lights!

PS It would be nice to get an idea of who is still intending to come, so could you post below if you are (or aren't and haven't already said so)?

See ya Sunday!

colly

Re member eR
Garz;1015897[B]]I had a week and a half off[/B said:

Oh dear! Since June I have done about 50 miles in 3 short, weeks apart, rides.

If I make it on Sunday I may need a push.:smile::sad::smile::sad::smile::sad:[/B]

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

colly said:
Oh dear! Since June I have done about 50 miles in 3 short, weeks apart, rides.

If I make it on Sunday I may need a push.:laugh::sad::ohmy::sad::sad::sad:
Take your place in the queue, colly! :tongue:

What's happened to Calum? I bumped into him on a train in Leeds a couple of months ago and he said he'd like to come on another ride, but since then there hasn't been much sign of him. I sent him a PM about this ride, but he hasn't replied.

Hmm, PaulB seems to have gone very quiet recently too!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'm in. i had to go out on the bike to run some errands. it seemed really really hard. i hope it's just a bad day and that i'm not coming down with something. i've got 100k ride planned tomorrow, returning quite late in the dark and cold. i feel ok.weird.

see you sunday. oh, the weather has really turned cold up here in the hills of rossendale. make sure you are prepared for the cold. for example, where i live, according the cars temp gauge, it's always a minimum of 2 degrees cooler from burnley centre, so i can only imagine it will be near freezing later on in the day. one of the weather forecast has predicted 'possible' wintery showers on the hills across the pennines.

Garz

Squat Member
Agreed. The low temperature coupled with the windchill especially on the open sections and descents making it even more bitter.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Hi,

I am not sure about this ride on Sunday myself, I have been getting a couple or so thirty five mile commutes in each week but no real weekend rides, so I honestly don't think I am going to be fit enough to tackle the kind or terrain involved on this un...

Oh and here is a weather forecast for Sunday:-

Sunday
Chance of Snow. Overcast. High: 4 °C . Wind NNE 28 km/h . Chance of precipitation 40% (water equivalent of 12.86 mm). Windchill: -4 °C

Windy, cold and with a chance of snow... Mmm not ideal conditions for belting around the tops of Calderdale etc, I will let you know Saturday if I am there or not.

Russ

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think we can safely say that it will be really cold and full winter kit will be needed! Obviously, I'd prefer it to be sunny and dry, but what would really worry me would be if there was ice on the roads, some of which may not have been gritted.

I may or may not get a gym bike session in this afternoon, but one way or the other it won't make much difference to my (un-)fitness for Sunday. I'm going to get tired on the ride and that's that!

I've just received a new rear LED light from Wiggle which I rather like. It has 4 LEDs and a rather novel 'running' mode where the middle two LEDs appear to be on permanently while the outermost two flash. That's a good compromise between steady and flashing modes. Oh, and I got my first ever free bag of sweets too!

I'll email the cafe and tell them to expect maybe 10 of us at 12:30-13:00 on Sunday. (They asked for notice if a fairly large group was likely to turn up.)

Crimmey

I'm still up for it, if that's ok? I take it that you'll still be riding if its raining? What's the worst weather conditions to be if you were to call it off?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Crimmey said:
I'm still up for it, if that's ok?
Yes, that'll be fine.

Crimmey said:
I take it that you'll still be riding if its raining? What's the worst weather conditions to be if you were to call it off?
If the rain was really hammering down at 09:45, I'd be tempted to give it a chance to stop before setting off, but if we get caught in some nasty stuff after that we might as well just carry on.

If conditions were actually dangerous on the hilltops (ice, blizzards, freezing fog...!), we'd have to modify the route - for example, ride to the cafe at Waddington instead. It would be a less interesting ride, but it would be better than just calling the ride off. The valley A-roads should be pretty safe in all but extreme weather conditions.

aJohnson said:
Doubt I'll be there Colin, but I'll be sure not too miss any of your rides next year.
Okay Andy. If you do decide to come though, make sure you arrive in good time or you'll be chasing after us! There will definitely be some good rides next year.

Top Bottom