Odd cycling habits/rituals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
when riding in a group, i've developed a habit of pointing out hazards then trying to click my fingers afterwards.
oddness.

Tony.

D

Deleted member 1258

I sometimes talk to my bike, when I'm out in the car and alone I'll talk to that as well.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I cycle by pointing the bike in a straight line and when I start falling over to one side I turn that way until I start falling over to the other side so I then turn that way too. I'm so good at it people can't tell the difference from cycling. Also, when I walk, I lean forwards until I'm falling over and then I stick the other foot forwards to stop me falling but, to cover up my imbalance, I repeat the process with the other foot. That fools people into thinking I'm not always falling over.

I've been known to count pedal turns musician-style in 4-4 and 3-4 (1-2-3-, 2-2-3, 4-2-3, etc.). 3-4 seems to make me cycle a little faster. On hills I sometimes find myself counting but I've no idea when I started counting. I could probably work it out by counting backwards but I find it's easier to simply turn the bike around and retracing my steps. Not that I was actually stepping.

Oh, and I talk to strangers at lights. Do Donald Duck impressions when I see ducks, that kind of thing. Nothing unusual.

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Safe to say, on balance, we can be an odd bunch :blush:

I quite often thank my bike after a ride, they have feelings too!
If mine has feelings she'll be thanking her lucky stars for having landed up with me! :smile: She's got a revamp coming that'll make her happy to have found daylight again I'm sure. I'll talk to her gently while we're pulling her wheels off!

stephec

Legendary Member
If mine has feelings she'll be thanking her lucky stars for having landed up with me! :smile: She's got a revamp coming that'll make her happy to have found daylight again I'm sure. I'll talk to her gently while we're pulling her wheels off!

It's a good job it's after the watershed if you're going to start with that kind of filth. :biggrin:

Learnincurve

I now have a radio in the basket in front of my bike so I can listen to radio 2 as I ride.

Katherine

Guru
So, we're an odd bunch but also creatures of habits. The thread in technical know how about which foot you put down when you stop plus this thread made me conscious of everything I did on my ride yesterday! I noticed that not only do I leave my right foot in the pedal when I stop but I always free wheel with my right foot down as well.

Retribution03

Right that's it I'm leaving you bunch of weirdos lol...I do the same as Katherine with my right foot kept on pedal at a stop and right leg in down position for freewheeling except when cornering the which way I'm leaning the pedal has to be up.

If we go under a longer bridge that could have an echo, we make a train whistle noise... :whistle:

It stems from having done so in such a tunnel on a shared use cycle track in Sweden where unknown to us there was an elderly woman descending the steps on the other side... when we finally spotted her she was laughing and smiling so much at 2 adults making train whistles under a bridge that we have continued to do it ever since!

(but I will confess to only doing this when I am riding with my OH...)

Top Bottom