Odd things stolen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Parking enforcement would have no jurisdiction as bins aren't motor vehicles. Council enforcement officers might have the ability to issue a fine but that would depend on local byelaws. Otherwise it would have to be a prosecution under Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980.

But whinging about bins on streets is such an Eric Pickles thing to do...
Contract for issuing the fines has been passed to local Parking Enforcement, for certain areas.
Almost as soon as the council realised they couldn't cover the area.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
To be fair he said parkin enforcement, although I'm not sure what ginger cake has got to do with wheelie bins...
Yorkshire cake, Hebden Bridge is in Yorkshire.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're not supposed to store your wheelie bin on the street!
Parkin Enforcement catch you, you'll be fined.
Strictly speaking, in this case it is a back alley between two terraces.

It is annoying to have to put the bin in the yard because there are 2 steps up from the alleyway. Having said that, it is more convenient to empty the kitchen bin into the wheely bin now so I think it is worth the extra effort lumping the wheely bin up and down the steps once a fortnight.

A passing couple saw me taking the bin down the steps last time and the young woman said "Excuse me sir, do you need a hand with that?" I must be showing my age! :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When my brother was stationed at RAF Brize Norton the Americans landed a large aeroplane and parked it at the far end of the base.

The USAF and RAF men didn't get on well, not least because one of the RAF lads stole a Jeep which had arrived inside the American aeroplane.

Matters escalated, and the base commander made it clear the Jeep should be returned.

It was - minus the steering wheel.

An American got in it and drove off towards his aeroplane using a large adjustable wrench as a steering wheel.

The wheel was later used to decorate a wall in the officers' mess.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This morning I discovered my wallet stolen from the top of the cabinet in the hall. I had to go out without it. Nothing odd about having a wallet stolen, no. But when I came home I found it had been returned and was lying on the windowsill!
If you live alone, that is definitely pretty odd! Presumably, if you don't, then one of the other members of the household raided it?

I had my wallet stolen from my kitchen on the one occasion that I forgot to lock the kitchen door. (I had come back from the pub feeling 'very relaxed'!) I was paranoid for weeks after that. It seemed really unlikely that it was the only time that somebody had tried the door to see if it was locked ...

Sandra6

Veteran
After we were flooded we put the old sofa out to be collected and it went missing. I spotted it two days later under a bridge about 5 min walk - possibly 15 pushing a sofa! - from the house.
I'd forgotten about that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For many years i had the flowers of my hydrangea bush/tree whipped off by passers by. They didn't steal the flowers, just ripped them off and picked them to pieces or threw them in the road. One year i taped some rose tree branches to the hydrangea branches.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Many years ago I moved into a 3rd floor council flat with my then girlfriend. We were skint and had to scour the local 2nd hand shop for furniture. We found a pretty decent bedroom set, including a large, very solid oak wardrobe, which we had delivered. The delivery driver dropped the wardrobe off on the ground floor and buggered off.

I'd arranged for 3 of my rugby teammates to give me a hand carrying the wardrobe up the 3 flights of stairs. We managed to get it up 1 and a half before realising that it was NOT going to fit round the bend. We left it on the small landing and went to phone the chap to collect and return to the shop.

Now It had taken 4 forwards - all 6'+ and built like brick outhouses an hour to get this bloody thing to where it was.... in the 5 minutes it took to walk to the phonebox and ring the shop, someone nicked it.....still no idea how they did it so quickly.

Top Bottom