People trying to out 'special forces' each other on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why bother? I know a load of squaddie types, some have been working in the kitchen, peeling spuds, some have had people shoot at them, every man jack of the genuine ones never go on about it, I'm sick and tired of billi big balls bullshitters, trying to convince me they know / were in (insert special force). What is up with these knobbers? The latest thing, seems to be a 'tacet' knowledge about the name of the S.A.S. Headquarters (Stirling lines / Credenhill). Muppets, get a grip.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I was in the SAS too, 40 years man and boy.

:girl:

Drago

Legendary Member
In only got in t'Army at all by promising to join the infantry and not try and be a pilot. Seen a few things, did one or two things, but nothing special in the grand scheme. You can spot a Walt a mile off, especially the "Sass" ones.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I could tell you what special force I was in but I'd have to use the SBS little finger technique to kill you. ;)

A colleague of mine was ex SAS (verified true) it took years before he mentioned it to any of us & then only because he was drunk.

Drago

Legendary Member
Did you know Lewis Collins passed selection, but failed the interview? It was decided by the top brass that having all the bad guys shouting "f*** me, that's Lewis Collins" every time he tried to free some hostages might get in the way of doing his job. Supposedly true.

Most ex SF or Det boys don't keep quiet out of modesty. They keep quiet because there are bad people all over the place who'd probably dearly love to pay them a visit, hence Spinney's words being spot on.

TVC

We used to have one at work, claimed all sorts, Iraq and Afghanistan, tank commander, sniper, covert ops, killed a man with his bare hands. Actually he had turned up at the TA just enough times to get a uniform. He was wider than he was tall and told of 20 mile 'yomps' on the weekend, but he'd break a sweat trying to do up a screw.

In the end we used to let him spin the yarns and fein interest just to see how far he would take it. A sad lonely man really, and if he ever got caught spouting off in front of some proper servicemen he would end up flat on his back.

TVC

Did you know Lewis Collins passed selection, but failed the interview? It was decided by the top brass that having all the bad guys shouting "f*** me, that's Lewis Collins" every time he tried to free some hostages might get in the way of doing his job. Supposedly true.

Most ex SF or Det boys don't keep quiet out of modesty. They keep quiet because there are bad people all over the place who'd probably dearly love to pay them a visit, hence Spinney's words being spot on.
Lewis Collins used to live down the road from me in Bucks. Not SAS material, a bit of a lovey who knocked around in tennis gear holding his belly in.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I think everyone knows someone like this. We have a guy at work who makes out he was this that and the other and did this and that but he runs and sits in his office whenever anything kicks off and needed 6 weeks on sick with stress when a complaint backfired on him.
On the other hand I have a mate who did a couple of tours who did do and see some stuff and never ever talks about it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Lewis survived 10 Para for a number of years, and really did pass selection for 23. The story I relate above is apparently true. Despite passing they wouldn't take him because he was too well.known.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My father in law was a Chindit. He never told anyone about it until my brother in law was spouting off about being seconded to the SAS and doing parachute training at which point my father in law dismantled all of the guff that he was spouting then explained how he spotted the lies. He refused to be drawn further on his military experiences and took his secrets to his grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom