Petition "To introduce a permanent, minimum passing distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's up elsewhere as well.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Whilst it may be, in practical terms, unenforceable, I think it's introduction would be great, in that it would call attention to the need to allow a safe passing distance.

I have encountered motorists who seem to think that if passing in a double white line zone, they need to pass without crossing the white lines! Clearly they need to brush up on their highway code. In my view educating road users is the primary issue (I know that some drivers being irresponsible, stupid, or just not caring is a secondary one, but these I feel are in the minority).

rugby bloke

Veteran
Signed. As much a gesture as has been stated its probably unenforceable. However if it can prompt a conversation on the subject at a national level then all the better.

si_c

Guru
I don't think it calls for sufficient distance. 1m at 30mph and 1.5m at 70mph are not going to make enough people comfortable on our roads.

Signed. I generally agree, 1m is a bit close at 30mph, and 1.5 too close at NSL, my wife certainly isn't comfortable with that sort of margin, but it's a good starting point.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I'd rather efforts were made to define more clearly the offences of careless and dangerous driving which are opaque and open to (mis)interpretation, than add a law that is clear, but will hardly ever be enforced. That said, I can see how a minimum passing law would help to clarify for a jury/magistrate what constitutes a poor pass if they were faced with a careless or dangerous driving case.

I think what's needed is a neutral witness. A sufficiently qualified person who looks at all the available evidence and describes to the court exactly what a 'careful and competent' motorist should have done, so the jury has a yardstick to compare against.

I've signed and shared the petition.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To me it looks like a minimum passing distance is not really enforceable. Unless you have a copper behind every bike or have the ability to photograph the incident with exact measurements?
Just seems an impossible thing to do. Also most drivers don't see anything wrong with close passing cyclists.
Photos with horizontal calibration markings is certainly one possibility and it doesn't need every incident to be prosecuted to help to change driver attitudes.

Its biggest challenge is that most cyclists are motorists too and many want to keep the freedom to punishment pass lesser cyclists who get in their way while driving, isn't it? They've suffered this for years, don't see why "newbs" should escape and not have to HTFU, and want to dole it out.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Photos with horizontal calibration markings is certainly one possibility and it doesn't need every incident to be prosecuted to help to change driver attitudes.

Its biggest challenge is that most cyclists are motorists too and many want to keep the freedom to punishment pass lesser cyclists who get in their way while driving, isn't it? They've suffered this for years, don't see why "newbs" should escape and not have to HTFU, and want to dole it out.
I don't think many motorists deliberately close pass cyclists as some sort of punishment pass. They just do it as a Matter of fact.
Me personally here in London it happens all the time. Infact it's rare for anyone to give adequate clearance when passing. Is that ok? No, of course not. But if I got upset every time I would never ride anywhere.
It is real problem!

Top Bottom