Phobias

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

puddleglum

[but how can spiders be an indirect fear of death???? Unless it's an extremely vemenous one, of course.

a genetically inherited fear of creatures that may harm us?

PashleyPrincess

Hot air balloons. Or sails on a boat. :biggrin:

PashleyPrincess

Yep. Any big material. Large flags. Curtains in school halls. Parachutes.

And yet I'm a fully qualified sailor... Once I sailed a yacht and had to haul in the main sail as it was pulled down. I nearly died. I was sweating, dizzy. Ridiculous really :biggrin::ohmy:

puddleglum

PashleyPrincess said:
Yep. Any big material. Large flags. Curtains in school halls. Parachutes.

And yet I'm a fully qualified sailor... Once I sailed a yacht and had to haul in the main sail as it was pulled down. I nearly died. I was sweating, dizzy. Ridiculous really :biggrin::ohmy:

I suppose it's a rare one - maybe it's a subconscious thing about being trapped or smothered.....

PashleyPrincess

puddleglum said:
I suppose it's a rare one - maybe it's a subconscious thing about being trapped or smothered.....

Yeah it's the being smothered thing I think. The fear it'll come down on me and I won't be able to breathe. I am amazed at those people who can walk inside a hot air balloon when it's being inflated. God the thought makes my blood run cold....

puddleglum

Apart from that horrible devil's plughole in Ladybower reservoir, any large moth is guaranteed to have me flapping. I remember seeing a huge, fuzzy, brown one at the age of 7, and a kid who was a couple of years older told me that if I touched it and then rubbed my eyes, I would go blind. That was enough.

barq

An ex of mine had a real phobia of tupperware (or other similar plastics) and wouldn't eat food that had been in contact with it. For me, I've held snakes and tarantulas but can't cope with worms or spiders.

I'm also very scared of flying and as an adult avoided it until I was invited to the University of Michigan. I tried everything to get out of it but eventually realised it would be career suicide to pass it up and got prescribed some pills by my GP. I have to do it more regularly now and although I'm better I still need a bit of chemical help... Although on the upside, used strategically, the pills can help ease me into the correct timezone. :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ladders. not heights, just ladders. We used to have a cottage with ivy growing up the front. It needed cutting back every year, and I used to have to tie the ladder to the wall, and get Mrs Cube to hold it while I climbed up and cut as far either side of the ladder as I could, bearing in mind I was actually hugging the ladder and pressing my face into it at the same time.

A lad at school had an absolute phobia of foam rubber. Never once did we fill his bed with chopped up cushion fillings, nor did we ever chase him with a piece as he ran screaming and sobbing along the corridor, for that would have been evil.

puddleglum said:
:biggrin: I can't believe that devil's plughole at Ladybower reservoir has already been mentioned. I saw it for the first time last night on another post and had loads of nightmares.

Why it looks so cool I would love to see it (Where is it?:wacko:) and does any one know what it would be like if there was no water?;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have a relatively normal fear of heights and an irrational fear of dead things and looking at faces, ones that look at me in particular like portrates, photos and people.

Top Bottom