Phobias

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
spandex said:
Why it looks so cool I would love to see it (Where is it?;)) and does any one know what it would be like if there was no water?:blush:

Peak District Spandex. Apparently there's 2 other dams nearby that were used when experimenting with the bouncing bomb.

It's an interesting place to visit but that overflow... errr no, thanks. :blush:

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

puddleglum said:
Apart from that horrible devil's plughole

It's worse without the water!!! ;) :blush: :blush:

800px-Ladybower_Reservoir_Outlet.jpg

puddleglum

quote=snapper_37;674889]It's worse without the water!!! :blush: :ohmy: :ohmy:

800px-Ladybower_Reservoir_Outlet.jpg
[/quote]

:blush:;):cry:][
I have tried to look it up on wikipedia etc, but can't find much. Does anyone know where the water goes and how deep it is???

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

puddleglum said:
:blush:;):cry:
I have tried to look it up on wikipedia etc, but can't find much. Does anyone know where the water goes and how deep it is???

I can't find anything either - just loads of piccies.

Cubist

Still wavin'
puddleglum;674903]quote=snapper_37 said:
It's worse without the water!!! :blush: :ohmy: :ohmy:

:blush:;):cry:][
I have tried to look it up on wikipedia etc, but can't find much. Does anyone know where the water goes and how deep it is???[/quote]

I believe it's simply a siphon to keep the reservoir at fixed level (in other words to stop it overflowing when it rains). The water goes into the river at the bottom of the dam.

The area is fantastic for cycling. Ladybower res itself has a forestry track all the way round, with granite chippings over a compacted surface, and the next door reservoir, Derwent, has a visitor centre, a series of cycle paths and routes ranging family friendly to reasonably technical rough stuff. Bike hire at the visitor centre and loads of ducks. It's a great day out, with wonderful scenery.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you really want to have nightmares about the giant plughole, watch this YouTube video or this one or this one! :sad:

You can see that 'plughole' right next to the road at the southern end of the reservoir. I stopped to have a sandwich there and heard a whooshing sound coming from the water. I got the shock of my life when I peered over the wall. ;)

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

ColinJ said:
If you really want to have nightmares about the giant plughole, watch this YouTube video or this one or this one! :sad:

You can see that 'plughole' right next to the road at the southern end of the reservoir. I stooped to have a sandwich there and heard a whooshing sound coming from the water. I got the shock of my life when I peered over the wall. ;)

Grrrr I hate having youtube blocked!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
xpc316e said:
I find it very odd that homophobia has been morphed into meaning a dislike, or hatred, of homosexuals and not an irrational fear of them.

It's the same with xenophobia - whence the modern use of homophobia comes, I think. And I think the reason is fairly obvious. It is not usually irrational in the sense of being involuntary, but is irrational in the sense of being ignorant.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
A sea-canoing mate of mine told me about a tidal race between the mainland and a Scottish Island which, when it gets going, forms a huge whirlpool which can take a trawler down. But at other times you can just canoe across. Apparently you can hear it roaring from the shore. Thinking about that makes me shiver with dread. I also saw a photo of the maelstrom (the original tidal whirlpool) and if I remember correctly there is a foot bridge above it. You wouldn't get me on that.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

puddleglum said:
Colin and Cubist - those you tube videos and all the great cycling there have sold it to me. I'm off the next chance I get to confront those fears!

I think we should all meet up! I'd never push you in, honest ;)

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

ColinJ said:

You can see that 'plughole' right next to the road at the southern end of the reservoir. I stopped to have a sandwich there and heard a whooshing sound coming from the water. I got the shock of my life when I peered over the wall. :thumbsup:

What is that creepy thing lying over towards it?

Is it where we hang Puddles by her cycling top for a quick shower?

;)

Top Bottom