Pick-up trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably the same reason a 50 year old 18 stone* cyclist might ride a £3k plastic bike with gears operated by electrickery, simply because he/she/they can ride/drive what ever floats their respective boats ;)

*age and weight used purely for illustrative purposes

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4097615, member: 43827"]Why do people in the UK drive these huge kick-ass 4WD trucks? I can understand it if you're a farmer or a builder who has to lug stuff around, or needs to chuck the odd dead elk that you've shot in the back, but nearly all the ones I see in our city are shiny things without a scrap of mud or any dents in them.

They've always got butch names such Shogun or Warrior or Serial Killer (OK I made that one up) and I have a theory that ownership would drop rapidly if they were compelled to have names such as Petunia, Fairy or Geranium.[/QUOTE]

there is, or used to be, a big tax advantage for having one as a company car. A light commercial used as company van had a very low benefit-in-kind tax, so there was a great demand for fairly posh vehicles which could be counted as a van. Irish import Discovery "vans" with no rear windows fir instance, or these big pickups - wheras if you had a £50k jag, or Discovery (car) then you'd have your arse taxed off.

stephec

Legendary Member
there is, or used to be, a big tax advantage for having one as a company car. A light commercial used as company van had a very low benefit-in-kind tax, so there was a great demand for fairly posh vehicles which could be counted as a van. Irish import Discovery "vans" with no rear windows fir instance, or these big pickups - wheras if you had a £50k jag, or Discovery (car) then you'd have your arse taxed off.

This is the very reason I almost got one about twelve years ago, don't quote me but I think the law's changed now.

Booyaa

Veteran
Probably the same reason a 50 year old 18 stone* cyclist might ride a £3k plastic bike with gears operated by electrickery, simply because he/she/they can ride/drive what ever floats their respective boats ;)

*age and weight used purely for illustrative purposes
Exactly this.

What is more concerning is why is it a problem to some people what others do?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Exactly this.

It is (at least somewhat) a problem if people are paying less tax, and by implication I have to more.
It's also a problem if people are driving vehicles causing more hazard to pedestrians / cyclists because they are encouraged to do so by the tax system - especially as said vehicles are typically less "green" and take up more parking spaces.

Not to say such vehicles "should be banned" or whatever, but at least the tax regeim should not encourage socially undesirable choices

[QUOTE 4097615, member: 43827"]
.....They've always got butch names such Shogun or Warrior or Serial Killer (OK I made that one up) and I have a theory that ownership would drop rapidly if they were compelled to have names such as Petunia, Fairy or Geranium.[/QUOTE]

Penis compensation.

The Misubishi Pajero

Mitsubishi-4x4-10.jpg

Marketed in large numbers in the European market but not all of it...... then someone pointed out that in th Spanish speaking countries a "Pajero" is an onanist, which explained the lack of sales

All those driving around in a vehicle that proudly proclaims they are...........

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!

As far as I can make out from a quick Google, double cab pickups with a payload of 1000kg or more can be classed as a van for company car tax purposes.

It's a bit of a pain in the 'arris, as some vehicles, such as the recently departed Land Rover Defender, are commercial vehicles for VED purposes, but depending on specification can be classed as a car for company car benefit purposes. This allows the slimy salesman to tell you it's a commercial vehicle whilst he's waving the keys under your nose, whilst leaving it to your friendly accountant to give you the really bad news...

Last edited:
Exactly this.

We drive on the crowded roads together and what one person does may affect those around them.

Driving this sort of vehicle affects those around them-
The are using up about twice the amount of fuel and kicking out twice the pollution compared with a normal car.
They hog parking spaces and make the space next to them too small or difficult for users.
General bullying and pushing mentality.
They are taller and heavier and generally cannot stop so quick and so are more likely to kill or injure the driver in front of them.
Following from above they are just trying to have an advantage over those around them by denying you visibility and room. Just mean people, like if the person in front of you at the cinema sat on a fat cushion to see better over the person in front of them. Or the person on the train with their elbow over your side of the seat.
Hate them and never let them out at a junction.

One parked near me on a hill, the back fills up with water so he drives off with it all gushing out down the road. Knobheads.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I wish i could afford the bloody fuel to run one let alone by a bloody thing..
pointless trucks as the pay load area is pi55 poor..

as said posers and tax relief..

Drago

Legendary Member
I had my pick up because it was 4wd and cheap to buy and run. The fact that it was a pick up and was painted camo was by the by, but the running on veg oil was welcome.

I always have a fourbie with at least some moderate off road ability partly for going shooting, but mainly for SAR work. It never does the school run or the quarter mile to the local shop for a pack of Bensons and the Sun. These sort of journeys are why God gave us feet.

And as for emissions... Well, as stated elsewhere, I do 2500-3000 miles a year so I'm responsible for less emissions than a Leaf owner doing average mileage.

Top Bottom