Pick-up trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The drivers of these vehicles break the law more often. They use mobiles more or ignore the seat belt law. They are often driven stupidly and aggressively, especially those L200s. Popular with thugs and rednecks in Norfolk and marketed directly toward inadequate men, that's why they choose those stupid names. It's advertised as "Aggressive".

The lack of sophistication is almost endearing, and the car exudes a toughness both to look at and when driving it that makes you feel invincible.

Perhaps this is why they're often driven so aggressively.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/Mitsubishi-L200-Barbarian-Black-206#sthash.ekmgGYxB.dpuf

Katherine

Guru
I thought this was going to be another enthusiast thread like the trains, planes and ships.

General bullying and pushing mentality.
The reason I liked having worthless crappy cars. Those with the Chelsea 4x4's, especially Range Rovers- oh how I loved new Range Rovers, trying to bully their way along then the realisation that it wasn't going to work and my heap cost less than 1 panel of their theirs.

BTW I did have a RR Classic for a while, but it became obvious it was just too much once we had moved back into the city. Fine vehicle, but it became unnecessary for our needs.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
A colleague of mine drives one as he uses it for pulling a trailer of rowing boats out through fields. However most of the time its for city use.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
They annoy me in London because they tend to reduce the road to a single lane when more civilised cars can pass each other freely in both directions. In Canada, which has oodles of space, they look rather wonderful. We parked next to a Dodge Ram in the middle of the wilderness somewhere on Vancouver Island. It had an 8.3 litre engine but didn't seem to be hauling much stuff apart from a couple of fishing rods. I think it was a little over seven and a half metres long. Anyway, I wouldn't have minded a test drive as long as I didn't have to go to a gas station.

Austin Devon, slightly upgraded
Motoring. Austin. Devon. 918 XUH. 1.JPG

I see this '47 Chevrolet around my area every so often

Motoring. Chevrolet. 1947. 901 UXC.JPG

This belongs (belonged?) to an engineering company to the south-west of Pontefract
Motoring. International Harvester. 155UXH.JPG

Oh yes!!!
The ultimate 'go anywhere'/'do anything' (even on rails!) pick-up

Motoring. Mercedes. Uni-Mog. GSS 919V. 2.JPG

And, as a 'Don't do it!' thought

This is real, I took the photo, near Whitby, it is not digitally altered

Motoring. Vauxhall. Nova. Pick-Up (Whitby).JPG

Come on, when was the last time you saw a Sherpa?, let alone the rarer pick-up??

Attachments

• Motoring. Leyland. Sherpa. XUU 991T.JPG
    Motoring. Leyland. Sherpa. XUU 991T.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 23
A few Land Rover pick-ups

'Mog-Rover'
I like this!!
Billing%202012%20021.jpg

101FC, a huge pick-up bed, when the canvas is off (& they sound fantastic, when driven 'in anger', petrol V8, as standard issue)
This lived not too far from me
Land Rover. 101FC. OAW 217P.JPG

109FC (totally different beast, to the 101FC)
Used to be seen a lot in Castleford
Land Rover. 109FC. RHL 297G. 1.JPG

Ag-Rover
Portal-axles (to increase ground clearance), 'live' PTO, & hydraulic lines
Only half-a-dozen or so were built, this lived around the Halifax area for a few years

Land Rover. 110. Ag-Rover. F602 RPH. 2. Piece Hall 1998.jpg

Centaur
Possibly the ultimate LR conversion? - despite such other offerings as hovercraft, amphibious (some with a DUKW style body) & armoured car
Based, initially, on the Stage 1 V8, with the track assemblies from the Scorpion tank (built by Cammell-Laird)
Land Rover. Centaur 110.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
7490423078_59ec1a5104_b.jpg

MK1 VW Caddy. I've owned one of the these for many years although I tend to only tax it for the summer now to keep it away from salt. Sadly it's not in the condition this one is but it's not too bad for 25 year old. 1.6 NA diesel engine, not much get up and go but 60mpg is achieveable and it will take a half ton payload. Drives just like any other MK1 Golf really, sadly they cut the legroom available to make the load are larger so I find it a little cramped on long journeys, it sits high and is reasonably competent off road.

A very practical vehicle which is easy on fuel and cheap to maintain. Sadly apart from the Skoda Favorit thing (is that still available?) the only new pickups on the market today are big clumsy 4wd things that I don't want or need.

MK1 VW Caddy. I've owned one of the these for many years although I tend to only tax it for the summer now to keep it away from salt. Sadly it's not in the condition this one is but it's not too bad for 25 year old. 1.6 NA diesel engine, not much get up and go but 60mpg is achieveable and it will take a half ton payload.

A very practical vehicle which is easy on fuel and cheap to maintain. Sadly apart from the Skoda Favorit thing (is that still available?) the only new pickups on the market today are big clumsy 4wd things that I don't want or need.

Nice!!, there's still a few around

The Favorit can still be found in some corners, I saw one on Saturday, as I was heading into Sheffield (through Grenoside, on the A61)

I've also seen a couple of Subaru pick-ups recently - the first shape, when it came over here in 1977, it was available as an estate, saloon, hatch, or pick-up
(a long time before '555', McRae, Burns & Sainz)

There's also one I sometimes see parked up in Ilkley

DSCF0509.JPG

I'll include these, I know it's the GPO van, but seeing as pick-ups were available
Spot the special features (although, one does seem a bit odd, when paired with another item)

DSCF0502.JPG DSCF0503.JPG DSCF0504.JPG DSCF0505.JPG

Top Bottom