Pick-up trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
7490423078_59ec1a5104_b.jpg
Nice. We had several of these (with matching canopies) at work. Ours had alloy-block petrol engines, and apart from really needing a 5-speed gearbox, they were brilliant. With mud-and-snow tyres on and being so light, they'd go just about anywhere. If they did slip, you could jump out and push - but they never got bogged.

I had a P100, the Sierra-shape one. It was great; drove just like a car and with its 1.8l turbo diesel, was amazingly frugal. Tragically fragile, though, and after it wrecked its fourth engine, it had to go.

Since then I've had 2WD Hiluxes. A lot less thirsty than the 4WDs, more manouvreable but just as tough and you could pull a train with one if you had to.

Why pickups? Because:

BILD0056.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4098885, member: 9609"]For the total brain dead thicko they have a bright red one called the Raging Bull.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rag...isch&q=raging+bull+l200&imgrc=MsiLyo9TPOsLuM:[/QUOTE]Yes, you'd have to be a thick as they've taken a fairly capable commercial vehicle and fitted wheels that make it almost useless.off road because no one makes decent mud rubber that size. Much derided by L200 owners that actually use their vehicles for work or off road, much prized by the sort of tool who'd buy an Audi in S-Line trim.

If you think flares are cool, it's for you.

D

Deleted member 23692

My old Hilux was the most comfortable, practical, adaptable and reliable vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

D

Deleted member 23692

My father in law managed to kill a Hilux. He also managed to kill a Series III. The guys a butcher with vehicles, could probably make snuff movies.
That's some going. Mine was a Series 6 extra cab... known as the 'sports utility coupe'

tyred

Legendary Member
Nice. We had several of these (with matching canopies) at work. Ours had alloy-block petrol engines, and apart from really needing a 5-speed gearbox, they were brilliant. With mud-and-snow tyres on and being so light, they'd go just about anywhere. If they did slip, you could jump out and push - but they never got bogged.

I had a P100, the Sierra-shape one. It was great; drove just like a car and with its 1.8l turbo diesel, was amazingly frugal. Tragically fragile, though, and after it wrecked its fourth engine, it had to go.

Since then I've had 2WD Hiluxes. A lot less thirsty than the 4WDs, more manouvreable but just as tough and you could pull a train with one if you had to.

Why pickups? Because:

BILD0056.jpg

I put a 5 speed box in mine, I'm convinced VW lowered the final drive ratio for the pickups as the 4 speed Golf/Jetta never felt chronically undergeared in the way the pickup did. The 5 speed box isn't really a complete success as there is a huge gap between 4th and 5th gear (I must have got myself one of those 4 + E boxes that VW did at one point) and on the sort of country roads I'm using driving on 4th always seems too low and 5th too high. Great on the motorway though. Mine now has in excess of 300,000 miles, engine still seems good enough although tappets noisy when cold and the bodywork is still pretty sound although I did replace the driver's door years ago which inexplicably rusted to bits when the rest of the body didn't. The only real problems it's ever given are electrical issues with poor connections and switchgear. I don't believe VW/Bosch reputation for electrics is justified.

I would love an Austin A35 pickup because they're cute and very rare and also a Peugeot 504 pickup. They were built like a lorry.

Crikey!!!
Even Clarkson, May & Hammond didn't kill one with what they did to it

That said, even though I'm a Landie man, I'd like a very early Hi-Lux, from when they first came into the country (circa 1981-1982), when they ran on skinny tyres, & were only offered with a 1.6 petrol engine

I would love an Austin A35 pickup because they're cute and very rare and also a Peugeot 504 pickup. They were built like a lorry.

504, the African workhorse!!

Dangel derivatives are fun, if rare, ie; http://auta5p.eu/lang/en/katalog/auto.php?idf=Dangel-Peugeot-504-Break-4x4-3805

And still going!!!! http://www.dangel.com/en/dangel-0

Sinpar, made trucks for desert (oilfield) use

Drago

Legendary Member
Or get one that you can use to carry more people about in if required or lots of stuff which you can put in the back on the INSIDE and it keeps dry and is not nicked.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJ0lOZcOKAofZZX6Nj3kKrCgqeIshONPCIpmvdFhVTco6U_Djf.jpg

There aren't any estate cars out there that can handle a standard sized pallet, or haul a 1.2 tonne payload on board.

And if you do like i did and get a canopy, you can clip them on in under a minute and keep your more delicate cargo dry.

You can haul a pile of manure while keeping the cabin smelling sweet and fragrant.

You can chuck bikes in the back without taking wheels off first or worrying about getting the chains on the upholstery.

I do agree they should be used for the school run- but then no car should be used for that - but they have uses and up sides. When you've owned a few yourself then you'll know that first hand.

Top Bottom