Planning a solo tour in the Outer Hebrides .... any advice/recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh and you must visit the Butt of Lewis, then we could have endless fun asking you if you enjoyed it up the Butt, childish I know.
I'm sure there's a Harris pun in there somewhere :-)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Under reconsideration regarding hostels. As I spend most of my life in hotels, it's low on my list. I'm looking for escape ....
I suspect the concept of "hotel" in the Hebrides is rather different from the industrial boxes you're probably used to!

[edit]

One other thing I'd suggest - take the train up there rather than driving. I find a long solo drive extremely tiring, and I tend to push on beyond my sensible limit. There are trains, including sleepers, which go right the way to the relevant ferry ports.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I suspect the concept of "hotel" in the Hebrides is rather different from the industrial boxes you're probably used to!

[edit]

One other thing I'd suggest - take the train up there rather than driving. I find a long solo drive extremely tiring, and I tend to push on beyond my sensible limit. There are trains, including sleepers, which go right the way to the relevant ferry ports.
I'm sure!

But I like slumming it at the antidote to my usual jet-set lifestyle :-)

I love driving and long solo stuff I don't find a strain .... I don't really do trains unless in extremist .... Or good company!

I used to go to Lewis fly fishing in early August each year, and the midges were at times unbearable!

As already mentioned, if you're camping take a head net with a very fine mesh (the midges are tiny - but all teeth and wings).

Enjoy. Should be a great trip.

Graham

iandg

Legendary Member
This tour report might give you some ideas......http://www.hebrideancycleclub.com/ride2006300k.htm

Include both options in South Harris, the east and west coast roads are very different.
Also in Lewis fit in the loop out to Callanish/Carloway.
The Butt to Leverburgh in a day sounds a bit much, why not take a little more time and look around?
Googling hostels in Harris and Lewis throws up a number of options, might be worth booking a day ahead if there in peak season.
Worth doing a little research regarding eateries, the islands are not over endowed with options.
Enjoy, sounds like a grand plan!!

That's (a much younger looking) me in the Team Swine top ;)

Snorri's right about eateries - the islands are not over endowed and the beer (in most places) is not good either

At work at the moment but will reply later when I have time to read properly.

edit: I do run this ride as a 300km audax event now :

http://www.westernislesaudax.net/stornoway-300km.html

Last edited:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
You'll love it. There'll be midges and headwinds, but somewhere in there will be one of those perfect, golden days you only get in the west of Scotland.

This and this may provide some inspiration, warning, information or entertainment.

Wild camping spots can be hard to find inland, because the islands generally are tussocky or boggy. Beaches and dunes are mainly your best bet. In August you'll find plenty of folk 'wild' camping close to roads; it's tolerated if not always welcomed. If you're willing to look a bit harder you can find some dream spots where you can have that escape and be all on your lonesome (although you might have to tolerate the odd midge).

Harris is a lumpy island, much more so than any of the other outer Hebrides. The Golden Road from Leverburgh to Tarbert (or vice versa) has charms, but they're over-rated. The north/west coast is nicer, flatter (there are climbs, but fewer and steadier), and has dream beaches. The Butt of Lewis kind of has to be done, especially if you've also been to Barra, but there's really not much there to linger for.

Check out Jonathan Meades' "Isle of Rust" before you go too. Gives you a different perspective on the islands - and his production style is quirky and amusing too.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There are some lovely places up there. :smile:

DSCF2018.JPG

One place we stayed last autumn was Ravenspoint Hostel on Lewis, which was a nice little hostel attached to a shop and visitors centre
http://ravenspoint.net/

Earlier someone suggested that you get the train and don't drive. I would suggest this isn't practical as there are no direct trains to any of the ports. If you were to leave from Oxford there would be at least three changes and also disruption due works at Glasgow Queen Street that won't be complete until August. Even without the disruption the journey would take anything between 12 and 20 hours. On top of that, the west coast trains are now limiting bikes to 2 per train. So I would say take the car and enjoy the drive. There's nothing better than getting the car loaded up and heading off on your own adventure.

If you are likely to be on Lewis mid July be aware that the Hebridean Celtic festival is on in Stornoway from 13th to 16th. The island and the roads will be particularly busy for at least all of that week. That said, it's a great festival and makes a good break in a cycle tour (tickets still available).
https://www.hebceltfest.com/
Maybe see you there. :dance:

Top Bottom