Planning a solo tour in the Outer Hebrides .... any advice/recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Earlier someone suggested that you get the train and don't drive. I would suggest this isn't practical as there are no direct trains to any of the ports. If you were to leave from Oxford there would be at least three changes and also disruption due works at Glasgow Queen Street that won't be complete until August. Even without the disruption the journey would take anything between 12 and 20 hours. On top of that, the west coast trains are now limiting bikes to 2 per train. So I would say take the car and enjoy the drive. There's nothing better than getting the car loaded up and heading off on your own adventure.

If you are likely to be on Lewis mid July be aware that the Hebridean Celtic festival is on in Stornoway from 13th to 16th. The island and the roads will be particularly busy for at least all of that week. That said, it's a great festival and makes a good break in a cycle tour (tickets still available).
https://www.hebceltfest.com/
Maybe see you there. :dance:
Though not direct, there are trains to Oban and Morar and a sleeper to Inverness (with the DE coaches bike bus to Ullapool). Uig on Skye is more difficult.

http://www.westernislesaudax.net/travel-to-stornoway.html

Hopefully I'll be free for Hayseed Dixie at the hebcelt - but I'm not a Runrig fan - and if you make it to Stornoway the weekend before you could consider a 300km bike ride ;)

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Also dont forget that a lot of places to eat are shut on the Sabbath.!!!. Its wicker man land up there.

Temple Cafe, Northton
Loch Ersort Inn, Shieldinish
Doune Braes, Carloway
Poll's Pantry, Callanish
HS-1, Caberfeidh, Eleven in Stornoway
Engebret filling station/take away/mini market, Stornoway

are all open on Sunday

iandg

Legendary Member
Ha! That's what you think. They are already out. Admittedly last week's snow made them retreat but I can hear them revving up as we speak.

No midges here yet, usually later than the Scottish Mainland and don't start until late May. Have even got into July without noticing them - but by the end of July and throughout August they're at their worse.

Last edited:

robing

Über Member
I did a Hebrides end to end last year. My highlights were camping on the beach at Vatersay, cycling across the many causeways, Howmore, Berneray, Callanish standing stones, butt of Lewis.

L Q

Über Member
I did a Hebrides end to end last year. My highlights were camping on the beach at Vatersay, cycling across the many causeways, Howmore, Berneray, Callanish standing stones, butt of Lewis.
I think you went just before I did.

I missed the Callanish stones due to the wind and rain and we needed to keep going. The causeways were Superb, the one down to Eriskay from South Uist was superb, it was flat calm and you could see the bottom, I am sure it was an otter that was swimming about 20 meters away.

I am going to go back next May for a week and re do the trip but go South to North this time.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I want a picture of you in said Midge hat :biggrin:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
We did it some time ago (with much shorter days!). Got the ferry from Oban to Lochboisdale. On the north island we got the bus from Stornoway back to Tarbert, to avoid having to cycle the exact same road again but against the wind this time.
The only time we were bothered by midges was when the wind dropped (so that was only for part of one day!). The wind was always from the SW.
We used B&Bs & Gatliff hostels, so can't advise on camping.

Top Bottom