Planning a solo tour in the Outer Hebrides .... any advice/recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
The 1 hard day from Lewis to leverburgh will be your killer.

I did Stornaway to leverburgh last September but we got 8 miles past Harris before calling it quits and stopped at a right crappy campsite.

The wind was in our face the whole time and it rained for a fair bit, the mini mountain in between Stornaway and Tarbet seems to drag on for ages.

The hostels are brilliant but beware of the Midges when camping at the one on south uist, stay inside and grab a bed instead.

Agree, the Butt to Leverburgh is do-able but tough, I've done Stornoway- Leverburgh a number of times but the Butt to Leverburgh only once (as part of a DIY 300km) and aborted attempts a couple of times. It's 90 miles into the prevailing south westerly that gets you.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Let me know if I can be of help if you visit the metropolis. We have spare beds, lawn for tent etc. if needed.
Brilliant! Thanks :-)

I'm gonna replan this for Hostels/B&B etc and maybe see if I can fit the 300k Audax into it. Appreciate the offer, I'd love to take you up on it!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh no! Here we go again .....

knocked-out.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Midges out in my garden on Isle of Mull today Sunday even tho' pretty cold wind. Utter Hebs. wind can be a killer. Don't believe that rubbish about it being always from SW. Given high pressure and sunshine northerlies can be ferocious. The Sabbath is dying out a bit but in northern isles cannot rely on everywhere being open. The ferry no longer goes Oban to Lochboisdale by the way. It is only Oban to Castlebay, the Lochboisdale ferry now goes to Mallaig. Pressure from I suspect a vocal minority on Uists. Cannot see any sense in it myself and limits my choice to Castlebay or cycle to land of nowhere aka Mallaig.

robing

Über Member
Midges out in my garden on Isle of Mull today Sunday even tho' pretty cold wind. Utter Hebs. wind can be a killer. Don't believe that rubbish about it being always from SW. Given high pressure and sunshine northerlies can be ferocious. The Sabbath is dying out a bit but in northern isles cannot rely on everywhere being open. The ferry no longer goes Oban to Lochboisdale by the way. It is only Oban to Castlebay, the Lochboisdale ferry now goes to Mallaig. Pressure from I suspect a vocal minority on Uists. Cannot see any sense in it myself and limits my choice to Castlebay or cycle to land of nowhere aka Mallaig.
I didn't know that, that must be a recent change. It might actually suit me this summer as I want to cycle back via Mallaig - Ardnamurchan - mull - oban without having to cycle the length of Skye.

Top Bottom