PMT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blonde

Arch said:
Also, does anyone else get this - about a week before the period actually starts, I get sort of ghost symptoms - a mild backache or stomach cramp, just like I get on my period, but not as bad... Then it passes off for a few days, until it comes back for real.

Not exactly, but I get a little bit of ovulation pain (mild ovarian pain and a mild lower back ache) and sometimes a tiny amount of spotting half way through my cycle.

I have noticed that PMS is less when I'm out cycling every day and in the summer months (don't know if SAD is involved or just more exercise in summer). I am less emotional and have hardly any pain at all when I've been doing a lot of cycling and eating well in the weeks before. If I've been ill the PMS (pain and the depression) can be worse, but again, I'm not sure if it's due to lack of exercise during illness or to depression associated with illness and lack of exercise - don't know which comes first, it seems a vicious circle. It is well documented that exercise helps though. The truth about food telly programe also suggested that research has shown that eating lots of calcium helps stop the emotional state associated with PMS. The book I had on the subject suggested that allowing cells to fill with water (by not eating carb-rich food regularly and keeping blood sugar stable) was the cause of PMS bloating. Having massively reduced my carb intake, I no longer get any bloating at all, but I used to put on 7-10 pounds every single time, so I think it's more to do with keeping blood sugar stable than eating carbs - so no sugary snacks and no skipping meals! Low blood sugar also makes you feel cross and weepy of course.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blonde said:
Not exactly, but I get a little bit of ovulation pain (mild ovarian pain and a mild lower back ache) and sometimes a tiny amount of spotting half way through my cycle.

Yeah, I wondered if it was that, but the timing's apparently wrong..

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Arch said:
I
Also, does anyone else get this - about a week before the period actually starts, I get sort of ghost symptoms - a mild backache or stomach cramp, just like I get on my period, but not as bad... Then it passes off for a few days, until it comes back for real.

Yes, I get this. It starts around ovulation time. I put it down to the cyst that grows, then bursts, then grows (causing the pain).

I does my head in sometimes. Had the same about 4 years ago and it went away until a couple of months ago.

Blonde

Arch said:
Yeah, I wondered if it was that, but the timing's apparently wrong..
Unless you ovulate twice? My sister does apparently and is chuffed as she wants more children and is more likely than other people to have twins due to the double ovulation!

My own cycle is 36-40 days, so I have a lot less chances to conceive than her, but it does mean I don't have PMS quite every month!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blonde said:
Unless you ovulate twice? My sister does apparently and is chuffed as she wants more children and is more likely than other people to have twins due to the double ovulation!

Blimey... Bit of a shame, all my eggs going to waste....

When you stop to think about the workings of the human boby, it all gets a bit mindblowing...

Blonde

Chuffy said:
I've always had a soft spot for that tired old piece of sexist crap particular old gag. ;)

Heh! My partner is nothing like that stereotype. He never complains when he's ill. He just looks all pale, purple eyed and puffy and I feel terribly sorry for him and protective. I think I'm much more of a complainer! It's partly to do with body awareness though. Ahtletes will always be aware when they are not 100%, whereas others with the same virus may hardly notice it - sitting at a desk with a cold is not the same as pedalling a bike with a cold. I suppose that's why I always notice on the bike that I feel tired before a period. If I didn't cycle I probably wouldn't notice it so much.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blonde said:

That would be public spirited, but would also involve going to a doctor, which I avoid mostly... Always felt it was unfair that men got paid (not sure if they do now) to donate sperm, whereas women didn't for eggs - what with the whole process being a bit more invasive. Interesting gender attitudes. Where women assumed (or expected) to be purely altruistic?

This could go a bit OT now...

Blonde

I think it might be a bit painful - I think they sort of "scrape " them? For men it's a bit more fun! (well, if they don't mind eveyone in the waiting room/corridor knowing how long they've been at it!)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blonde said:
I think it might be a bit painful - I think they sort of "scrape " them? For men it's a bit more fun! (well, if they don't mind eveyone in the waiting room/corridor knowing how long they've been at it!)

Well exactly - men got (get? I'm not sure about whether they do now) paid for something that was a) pleasurable and :tongue: possible quite often (although I think they cap how much one man can give), whereas women never got paid for something a) painful and :biggrin: restricted due to all the drugs and the cycle you go through. Seems jolly unfair, and I wonder why it was that way.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Blonde said:

Look away if you're squeamish, but Mrs Cube's were harvested by inserting a hollow rod like a wide bore hypodermic needle through the navel :smile: and then sucking the eggs out of the corpus luteum (the ripe egg sack on the outside of the ovary) Being a stoical type she didn't make much fuss....... but managed to dig three large hollows into the palm of my hand. Next time I'm going to make sure she cuts her nails first.

Top Bottom