Poaching an egg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Put the egg in shell in the boiling water for 20s. Thus helps it set very slightly. Then when you crack the egg into the water it doesn't fall apart.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yebbut, assuming the soggy thing survives the ducking, it's covered in water. With a poaching pan it's got a generous layer of melted butter.:hungry:
Oh, do behave!! the sogginess is drained away whilst lifting from the saucepan. The melted butter is already on the toast awaiting the aforementioned perfectly poached egg to be lowered lovingly onto it.

midlife

Guru
I've got some paper things that seemed to work quite well, hold the egg in a sort of school chemistry lesson filter paper ....

Shaun

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdnCoVju-1BMOx_LDpEg-Cm6i6_HqjQ6LWwerSE-Q4-h0kl6lh.jpg
Yup, shallow poached in oil every time - but I'd use the same oil and pan as I shallow poached the sausages in.

No vinegar - why does anyone want their egg to taste of vinegar? Vinegar is for chips.
Not boiling water - it breaks the egg up and as with @PeteXXX use a 'summat' to get the egg in the water gently.

Feck. I'm starting to sound like Patrick

ayceejay

Guru
Of course you need very fresh eggs....fortunately my hens lay half a dozen daily. and using my other hand (I change at three) I pop them in the pan and a few strokes later bingo.

U

User482

Very fresh eggs are essential. And no vinegar, please.

Pumpman

I am probably the world's worst cook, but I have had some success with the cling film method. You need to use some oil (cooking variety, not bike chain oil !) To stop the egg clinging to the cling film. The steps are:-
Lay the cling film inside a cup, to stop the oil and egg spoiling all over the place.
Put some cooking oil in - and tilt the cup and film to spread it a little.
Add the egg.
Pinch the cling film into a closed sack shape.
Lower the whole lot into boiling water.
You may need to experiment with the quantity of oil, but the results should be good. The beauty of the method (compared to the poaching pans and silicon cups, etc) is that it looks very much like a "real" poached egg, done in open swirling water - so you just need to practice the smug look as you serve it.
Best of luck

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I am probably the world's worst cook, but I have had some success with the cling film method. You need to use some oil (cooking variety, not bike chain oil !) To stop the egg clinging to the cling film. The steps are:-
Lay the cling film inside a cup, to stop the oil and egg spoiling all over the place.
Put some cooking oil in - and tilt the cup and film to spread it a little.
Add the egg.
Pinch the cling film into a closed sack shape.
Lower the whole lot into boiling water.
You may need to experiment with the quantity of oil, but the results should be good. The beauty of the method (compared to the poaching pans and silicon cups, etc) is that it looks very much like a "real" poached egg, done in open swirling water - so you just need to practice the smug look as you serve it.
Best of luck

+1

Although I find that a saucer works better than a cup - spread the clingfilm over the saucer, with plenty to spare all round, then wipe the clingfilm with some kitchen towel soaked in cooking oil before cracking the egg into it and twisting it into a sack like the ones you used to get with the salt in your crisp packet. Four minutes in boiling water gives an egg that's just runny in the middle - perfect !!

Top Bottom