Poaching an egg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks for got many helpful replies and I may even get round to reading them one day. @User14044 , I'll have you know that we have bistros and deli's round here.

And greengrocer's?

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have 2 poached egg on toast most mornings. Small saucepan half filled with salted water, bring to bubbling, break 2 eggs gently into pan - go away and butter the toast, just checking pan doesn't boil too hard, remove eggs when they look done.

90% of the time the eggs are great. No idea why the other 10% of the time they seem to disintegrate.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Look you useless lot. The Swirl is a great way to make poached eggs. But what you mustn't do is have the water boiling when you do it. If you do the bubbles will cause the egg to disintegrate when you put it in.

Get your water up to simmer/boiling.....then turn it down. Swirl then pop the egg in the middle. Let it set a bit for say, 30 seconds, then start turning the heat back up. But don't get a ferocious boil going or it'll wreck the egg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Crack an egg into a pan
Boil kettle
Pour boiling water onto the egg in the pan .

let me know how it turns out .

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
+ a dollop of fresh hollandaise Reg?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I had the best Eggs Benedict I've ever tasted in a breakfast cafe in Southwark a couple of years ago.

....the alternative is a runny fried egg and chips with tomato sauce.

stephec

Legendary Member
Look you useless lot. The Swirl is a great way to make poached eggs. But what you mustn't do is have the water boiling when you do it. If you do the bubbles will cause the egg to disintegrate when you put it in.

Get your water up to simmer/boiling.....then turn it down. Swirl then pop the egg in the middle. Let it set a bit for say, 30 seconds, then start turning the heat back up. But don't get a ferocious boil going or it'll wreck the egg
This is the way, always works for me

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm with User on this topic. Get the water boiling then reduce heat and add the eggs. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. Once the egg has turned white all over it is done.

2015-04-20%252012.11.15.jpg

I was tempted to try this hot water tosh again, to prove it's tosh. My results are better than Rich's but hey, that's no target but really. If you believe that's a poached egg, you probably make your own baked beans and hummus. A fair percentage of the egg travels loosely around the pan and makes a right old mess. Tasted nice though :hungry:

Top Bottom