Pot roast chicken with 100 cloves of Garlic ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

The late Keith Floyd had a recipe for Garlic Roast Chicken.
1/2 kilo of peeled cloves stuffed inside chicken
1/2 kilo of unpeeled cloves in roasting tin around the chicken.

OH and I like garlic a lot so we tried it once.....
followed by 3 days during which ALL (and I really do mean ALL) bodily secretions smelt of garlic.

Put us off oral sex for years....:rolleyes:

Far too much information.

TVC

On holiday in Switzerland this year I had wild garlic soup, really fresh and light, I'm going to have to secure some wild garlic leaves myself next spring.

Garlic Relish (originally a recipe for lemon relish)
Ingredients
- Either the equivalent in size of 2 large lemons in peeled garlic cloves, or

- the equivalent of 1.5 large lemons in peeled garlic cloves + half a large lemon (Pare off the thin yellow rind, and keep; cut off and discard the white pith)

- 1 pepper (green or red - with the core and seeds removed)
- 6-8 large spring onions
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 fresh red chilli
- parsley
- half teaspoon dry mustard
- half teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 120 ml vinegar (cider vinegar? white wine vinegar? - your call!)

Chop garlic (and lemon rind and flesh if used), pepper, onions, celery, chilli and parsley (if you're using a food processor, don't overdo it).

Pop everything into a pan, bring to the boil, and simmer for 15 minutes or so. Pour into sterilised jars and seal.

Pickled Garlic (kids used to eat this like sweeties :wacko:)

- Enough cloves of garlic to fill the pickling jar - separated, but not peeled;
- Enough vinegar to cover the garlic (I've used a variety of vinegars, but I like a white wine vinegar best);
- About 2 ozs sugar to each 1 lb of garlic (try more or less to taste) and a wee bit of salt;

Vinegar and sugar - boil over high heat for about 10 minutes; add unpeeled but separated garlic cloves, and carry on cooking for only a minute or two. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit - put garlic in a sterilised and warmed glass pickle jar, pour over enough vinegar to cover, and tightly seal.

Keep for at least a month (unlikely - make a double batch).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
All this talk of garlic reminds me of garlic tart, haven't had this for ages and can't find my recipe but looks pretty much as this one. It's really good!

http://britishfood.about.com/od/adrecipes/r/caramelisedgarlictart.htm

Caramalised-Garlic-TartH-9f03c5d9-592f-4462-a9f8-04bb67974781.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
On holiday in Switzerland this year I had wild garlic soup, really fresh and light, I'm going to have to secure some wild garlic leaves myself next spring.

I found a Wild Garlic Flower pesto at a farmers market in spring this year which was delicious. Definitely going back for more next spring.

This thread is fantastic... my mind is now trying to decide which recipes to try with our large store of garlic.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I sometimes make an iced garlic soup - like Vichyssoise, but with garlic instead of leeks.

Put some shot glasses in the freezer - one each.
Finely chop a clove of garlic per person. Fry gently in butter or olive oil. Add a finely diced (very small) potato and chicken stock. Simmer till cooked, leave to cool. Add cream and another crushed clove, and blitz. Season, and chill, while the soup is in the freezer.
Add milk or cream to sort the thickness out - you're after thickish, but still runny. Like double cream or emulsion paint (other metaphors are available). Rub a cut clove around the rim of each shot glass, dip in salt and fill with soup. Garnish with chopped chives.

Enjoy!!

And yes, oral may well be off the agenda for a few days afterwards.
Even if you both had the soup.
Perhaps especially if you both had the soup.

Top Bottom