Presumed liability - e-Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't get this. Surely the person that causes an incident/collision is responsible and therefore liable? Why do we want to move away from this?

OP
OP
H

hatler

Guru
Because it might change vehicle driver attitudes as to how to conduct themselves around more vulnerable road users ?
Because it might change cyclist attitudes as to how to conduct themselves around more vulnerable road users ?

I don't get this. Surely the person that causes an incident/collision is responsible and therefore liable? Why do we want to move away from this?
Cos what usually happens is everyone denies responsibility thus it's goes 50:50. Easy get out for cars. Presumption is that the most vulnerable and most likely to be hurt will do the most to avoid.

We'd get it if everyone voted libdem.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I would prefer a system where people that were subsequently found to be making false or fraudulent claims or accusations to avoid liability were massively penalised on the excess and future insurance premiums. This way the system would work as it should and there would be no need to presume anything.

I have been involved in an RTA where the other party went as far as moving the location of the accident to another street to try and make it fit with their account of how my wife was supposed to have driven her car into them! When this was exposed as the lies it was the claim simply proceeded as if nothing had happened. There is no penalty and every incentive to make up these lies and that is what needs to be addressed. If people knew that if they drove like idiots and caused injury or damage then they would without fail be held responsible and heavilypenalised if found to be attempting to evade liability for their actions, then they might think twice before trying it on?

snorri

Legendary Member
If people knew that if they drove like idiots and caused injury or damage then they would without fail be held responsible and heavilypenalised if found to be attempting to evade liability for their actions, then they might think twice before trying it on?
Isn't that what signatories to the petition are hoping to achieve in the case of bike/car incidents?
Although it would also help pedestrians in bike/pedestrian incidents.
Car/car incidents are another kettle of fish!

Top Bottom