Principles or Job

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

even if you are not in a union, you can take someone in with you to make notes ....no i will re-phrase you SHOULD take someone in with you to make notes.

Fight your corner, take whatever proof you have along with you. Then make a decision...is it worth losing your job for? in this economic climate i would say take the disciplinary on the chin. It will only stay on your record for a relatively short period of time. However if they do sack you and it really is not your fault then sue them for unfair or constructive dismissal.

U

User482

Get representation, and stick to the facts. Ask them to explain what you did wrong - put the ball in their court.

Right, so that explains what happened, but what part of it is supposed to be your fault? Are you being accused of supplying faulty/incorrect equipment? Are you responsible for the engineers? What caused the 4 hour delay? etc. etc.

Good luck btw.

Echoing what others have said, if you're out of your depth then take a representative. Someone with clout if possible.

Bigtwin

I take it they have set all this out in writing, inviting your response?

If not - none of this means jack.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Thanks for your support Guys, I am asking someone in the office to sit in with me (good idea chhers)

Will let you know how it goes.

Sparkyman

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's crap.....if you have done your part, then others should be expected to do there's...........although....as has been pounded into my head, don't ever assume anything....it makes an ASS of U and ME....too bloody true.

I got blamed by my Chief Exec once for a lack of evidence of client contacts (public sector) for a 'grant' we had, the Director over the programme was supposed to do this, I was the bloody accountant - Boss said - your fault, money is involved..... FFS....all turned out fine, we got the evidence (other Director got off scott free - mates with the Chief Exec).... and I told then to stuff the job and walked out. There were a few other sneeky things he did - needless to say, if I ever saw him again...:eek:

jack the lad

Some good advice above about getting representation, preparing for the meeting etc. Don't just jack your job. Always go down fighting (unless you are caught with your hand actually in the till).

In the first instance you should separate out your part in this. You do not take the rap for other's incompetence, only for what you have contributed.

You should not accept that just because something has gone wrong it is appropriate to deal with it by blaming someone, however wrong they might have been. If you work for a half decent organisation i bet you can find something somewhere in a mission statement, a quality assurance system or some document created to get an external accreditation like Investors in People, or ISO9000 that talks about learning from mistakes, continuous improvement or something of that ilk. Remind them of it!.

Even if you were 'incompetent', you should throw it back as a failure of your manager - were you given adequate training, support, resources and facilities to do your job properly. Are the systems for managing and prioritising equipment bookings fit for purpose?

The best form of defence in most employment cases is attack, but keep it polite, respectful, professional and based on facts and evidence not opinions and personalities.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I can only echo what others have said..
1) stay calm
2) take someone with you
3) they have to make a case
4) don't say anything in the meeting that is detrimental to you, and only accept fault if it really is your fault

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Sounds like no case to answer. You allowed plenty of contingency time; the director overruled your plan so your engineers didn't have enough contingency time to sort out the problems. Problems always happen.

Hugo15

Über Member
fossyant said:
That's crap.....if you have done your part, then others should be expected to do there's...........although....as has been pounded into my head, don't ever assume anything....it makes an ASS of U and ME....too bloody true.

I got blamed by my Chief Exec once for a lack of evidence of client contacts (public sector) for a 'grant' we had, the Director over the programme was supposed to do this, I was the bloody accountant - Boss said - your fault, money is involved..... FFS....all turned out fine, we got the evidence (other Director got off scott free - mates with the Chief Exec).... and I told then to stuff the job and walked out. There were a few other sneeky things he did - needless to say, if I ever saw him again...:tongue:

Why is it as soon as a number is mentioned it suddenly become the responsibility of Finance to sort it out. Drives my flippin' mad.

Sparkyman I take it that all these communications took place by Email (most communications do these days) if so ensure you have hard copies of everything to hand and if possible a copy of the Email from the director to the engineers regarding the change of time. At least then you will have something to refer to. Oh and BTW good luck.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Well that was not fun, he reamed me out for half an hour mostly for not testing the laptop with the PowerPoint and not thinking forward about needing to stay behind on a day when we were shipping out equipment for a an important demo. (He was very red in the face)
But to cut it short I apologised but insisted that I did not and would not send him out with equipment I did not have full confidence in.
To prove it I got the laptop out in front of him and connected it to the Boardroom screens and had it playing within g 60seconds of boot up… Made no difference to him but he was happy with my apology but said I had to up my game in the future-

Bullet dodged but I think my card is defiantly marked with him.

Sparkyman

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
He sounds like a tit.

When you say powerpoint, do you mean Microsoft PowerPoint or AtoD power inverter used to connect the laptop to the mains?

Top Bottom