Private Bridges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Its the Cartford bridge in Great Eccleston, by the way. A quick google tells me that the locals have been urging the council to buy it for years to no avail.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Can we have an abridged version of the post please.
Would you like an attention span?

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Pick up the bike and walk across. You are then a pedestrian that happens to be carrying a bike. Like to see them arguing that away if protested,

This was my thoughts at the time. It was a nice day and added an extra 10 miles onto my journey - they turned out to be 10 lovely miles apart from a 3 mile strip of A road. Can't complain.

But I will next time :laugh:

D

Deleted member 23692

Without knowing the full story behind the bridge, the 'usual accompaniments' for a pedestrian to have with them are things like dogs and pushchairs - and things that you might take with you on a walk.

Bikes aren't a usual accompaniment... you're a dismounted cyclist

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Without knowing the full story behind the bridge, the 'usual accompaniments' for a pedestrian to have with them are things like dogs and pushchairs - and things that you might take with you on a walk.

Bikes aren't a usual accompaniment... you're a dismounted cyclist

Can you point me in the direction of where I might find documentation supporting that? I've no reason to disbelieve you, but I'm quite curious either way!

D

Deleted member 23692

The Highways Act 1980 (I think - I'd have to check in my magical tome of things like that... which is at work).. but like I said, without know the full story of the bridge it's not possible to ascertain whether that applies or not.

The bottom line is that the structure is private, and you'd need to establish what (if any) public rights exist across the bridge. if there are non, then the owners can charge or allow whatever/whoever they feel like to cross the bridge

Last edited by a moderator:
Was she Joanna Lumley?

I would pay 20p to be given a stern talking to by Joanna Lumley

Dave7

Legendary Member
As @User33236 says....I use Warburton Bridge regularly and its free.
Today I drove over and paid 12p.......I was returning 2 hours later but a return is 25p ......but I understand that 25p allows unlimited crossings for the day.
Sounds like your bridge owner is extremely mean spirited.
NB...When I cycle over W. Bridge they will normally give a friendly wave which is nice.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There is (or was) a toll bridge near Oxford that charged 5p per car. You cannot imagine the rush hour queues. All that congestion and unnecessary revving of engines for five lousy pence. Suspect the attendant had one of the worst jobs in the world.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This is going to sound super petty, and I'm more curious than upset or angry, so please take the following with that in mind!

I was cycling around the Fylde in Lancashire last week with a route I'd planned in Strava and it took me to a private toll bridge across the river Wyre.
There was a big sign that said "cyclists stop here!", so I did, and a woman came out of her little hut and said "It's 20p for a bike". I literally didn't have 20p on me (I was only a few miles from my parents house - I should carry money, I know!)

Anyway, perfectly politely I said I thought it was unusual for bikes to be charged as we don't cause any damage and we're usually a nice bunch! To which she replied "Oh, the owners don't like cyclists"
"They don't like cyclists?"
"You're quite abusive"
"Am I? I'm incredibly sorry I don't intend to be"
"No not you, Cyclists"
"But I am a cyclist!"
"It doesnt matter, its a private bridge and if you cant pay the toll you can't come across".

... Mental.

I noticed it was free to cross if you where a pedestrian, I chanced my arm by suggesting actually I'd finished riding my bike and I was now a pedestrian with luggage. This idea was not entertained.

For the sake of 20p I'm not going to be writing any complaints, I'd have paid 20p if I'd have had it on me, but after the conversation I had it seemed it was in place as a punishment rather than a tax - if you see my meaning.

Any thoughts? Could I have been a pedestrian? I've a mind, next time I'm headed that way, to be a pedestrian carrying a cycle just to prove a point... :laugh:
You're right - it does sound super petty. If you really want to get your own back (but it would make you sound even more super petty), go back with a £50 note and ask for change.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
You're right - it does sound super petty. If you really want to get your own back (but it would make you sound even more super petty), go back with a £50 note and ask for change.
Nah. Get yourself a bag or two of pennies from the bank, and cycle back and forth a few times.

Top Bottom