Private Bridges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As a non-cycling aside to charging for crossing a bridge, the Dartford Crossing, ie: the Queen Elizabeth Bridge, was supposed to only be a toll bridge until the cost had been recuperated.
Strangely enough, just before that happened, it was sold the the French, who, conveniently, forgot about that particular clause in the contract.

Not long after moving to the area I was driving home and came across Warburton Bridge. Never knew it was toll so wasn't prepared for it and only had £20 notes on me. They let me off with the 12p. I think my obvious not local accent helped :laugh:
I live very close to Warby Bridge and used to cross it regularly by car to and from the airport.

More than once I've seen the "only gotta twenty" excuse and more than once seen multiple bags of copper given in change.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
As a non-cycling aside to charging for crossing a bridge, the Dartford Crossing, ie: the Queen Elizabeth Bridge, was supposed to only be a toll bridge until the cost had been recuperated.
Strangely enough, just before that happened, it was sold the the French, who, conveniently, forgot about that particular clause in the contract.
Or in reality the government changed the "toll" into a "charge" once the cost had been recuperated. At some point the toll administration was subcontracted to a French company, but now isn't.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Or in reality the government changed the "toll" into a "charge" once the cost had been recuperated. At some point the toll administration was subcontracted to a French company, but now isn't.
Yet still we pay....

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
How long is the bridge?...I'd have been tempted just to cycle over it anyway...whats the worst they can do?

A short while ago a club from out of the area rode over this bridge without realising that the toll applied to cyclists (The attendent is usualy slow to come out and acost you) and the owner took off after them in his van, nearly knocking some of them off and threatening all sorts of violence to them!

Venod

Eh up
I use Aldwark Bridge on occasions, I have never had any problems and its free for cyclists, but I don't think thats the case for everybody as the name of this Strava Segment suggests otherwise.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5064278

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
A short while ago a club from out of the area rode over this bridge without realising that the toll applied to cyclists (The attendent is usualy slow to come out and acost you) and the owner took off after them in his van, nearly knocking some of them off and threatening all sorts of violence to them!
jeez...what a total arse the owner seems to be

Stinboy

Über Member
In these circumstances I would have politely explained that I don't have the 20p with me, but will pay twice next time through. Surely that is a reasonable compromise?

Sounds like a nice extension to your ride though so everyones a winner I suppose :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I seem to remember a private toll bridge in Shrewsbury that was about 20p for a car. No idea about cyclists. Paging @Rickshaw Phil
:hello:

That's Kingsland Bridge and yes the toll is 20p for a car. It's not a way I generally cycle as there are several more convenient ways into the town centre so I had to look up what the charge is for a cyclist; it's a penny, the same as for a pedestrian, and collected in an honesty box.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The private bridge at Witney near Haye on Wye is free for bikes.

they also sell tea and coffee at very reasonable prices.

Top Bottom