Private Bridges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
In these circumstances I would have politely explained that I don't have the 20p with me, but will pay twice next time through. Surely that is a reasonable compromise?

Sounds like a nice extension to your ride though so everyones a winner I suppose :smile:

I have given out over 20 inner tubes, even fitted them for most people, along with tea/coffee, cold drinks and cakes, since I moved to this spot. Despite all the cyclists promising to return with goodies not one has, did have a nice card from one nice couple from afar though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have given out over 20 inner tubes, even fitted them for most people, along with tea/coffee, cold drinks and cakes, since I moved to this spot. Despite all the cyclists promising to return with goodies not one has, did have a nice card from one nice couple from afar though.
Do you get a lot of glass and/or thorns on the roads round you! :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you get a lot of glass and/or thorns on the roads round you! :whistle:

No I live at the end of the Bardney to Woodhall Spa summer route, which the farmer decided to top up with road chippings and glass lots of it. Basically you have a nice Tarmac path that runs for 7 miles and ends with 1 miles of rubbish surface along with plenty of hawthorne cuttings.

If I see a cyclist leaning over their bike as I look out from my garden or any back window over the track I know that I have got to go and offer help. I always have a stock of tubes, the next lot will need longer valves though as we seem to be getting more deep rim jobs.

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Lincoln_to_Boston_via_Water_Rail_Way-Cycle-Route-4424.html

See write up by somebody on there who mentions the track.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a similar experience this evening. Hot and sweaty after a ride, I stopped at a shop on Shepherds Bush Road for a can of beer. I was disgusted that the owner wouldn't let me have one when I told him I didn't have any money. Is there no limit to peoples' pettiness? Anybody would have thought it was his beer, FFS.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Warburton Bridge, not far from Warrington, is a private toll bridge. Bikes go free and cars are 12p one way and 25p return ( used to be 12 1/2p one way but the 1/2p got dropped and complex rules meant they couldn't raise it to 13p)
I used to drive a car which fitted under the barrier at Warburton Bridge and it was on my way to work. I know this because one day late on, I was blasting to work and expected the toll be be unmanned (it usually was at that time, about 9.30pm) and the barrier to be up, but there was someone still there - cue a massive screech of tyres and ducking of head (it was an open top) and I came to a stop about five yards past the barrier, reversed, apologised, paid my money and sped off again. The look on the lady's face was priceless.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to drive a car which fitted under the barrier at Warburton Bridge and it was on my way to work. I know this because one day late on, I was blasting to work and expected the toll be be unmanned (it usually was at that time, about 9.30pm) and the barrier to be up, but there was someone still there - cue a massive screech of tyres and ducking of head (it was an open top) and I came to a stop about five yards past the barrier, reversed, apologised, paid my money and sped off again. The look on the lady's face was priceless.
You are Hans Meixner and ICMFP.
http://www.placetobe.info/berlinwall/escapes/driving-through-the-berlin-wall/

Top Bottom