Proper Novice.....Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Knobchops

Knobchops

Please forgive my 'bike' and er 'forum' ignorance...but what is an OP and what is a CX type bike?
Also, drop bars are a no no...defo not a fan of those.
Taking all advice on board though thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Depends how 'girlie' you want it to be but I'm also a big fan of Ridgeback bikes (as well as Raleigh) but how does this look

Drago

Legendary Member
I am told by several ladies that the Giant Talon women specific frames are excellent machines. Not being a laydee I'll have to take their word for it.

They're certainly well finished, and will leave you enough for your lock and lid.

vickster

Legendary Member

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Please forgive my 'bike' and er 'forum' ignorance...but what is an OP and what is a CX type bike?
Also, drop bars are a no no...defo not a fan of those.
Taking all advice on board though thanks

OP = original post/poster, i.e the first post in the thread.

CX is a cyclocross bike, a drop bar bike that can take mudguards and wider tyres than a full on road bike

S.Giles

I've always taken the men's/women's bike thing to be a marketing ploy. Whenever I've fixed a friend's (women's) bike, I've been quite comfortable when test-riding it, and imagine the converse is true. (I'm assuming here that Knobchops won't be wearing an Edwardian dress whilst cycling.)

Cyclist33

I've always taken the men's/women's bike thing to be a marketing ploy. Whenever I've fixed a friend's (women's) bike, I've been quite comfortable when test-riding it, and imagine the converse is true. (I'm assuming here that Knobchops won't be wearing an Edwardian dress whilst cycling.)

Yet, having experience of neither the converse scenario nor of being a woman, I would take your supposition with a pinch of salt!

vickster

Legendary Member
It's about finding the bike that fits both shape and aesthetics. I'm a pretty tall woman, and have men's/unisex frames...but when I buy them, I have to change bars, stem, saddle, which adds hassle and usually £100+ quid. There is as far as I have found no stock men's 54cm frame with a 100mm stem and 38cm bars as standard, and obviously not with a 155mm WSD saddle. The geometries are also different in terms of HT length etc

Flat bar bikes are less hassle on this front, it's true, but still need to change the saddle

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I like that bike ALOT but I'm not keen on the drop bars.
I have a CX bike. Drops and all. I spend 95% of my time with my hands on the 'hoods'. The bit that the brakes/gear shifters poke out of. Very comfortable riding position nowadays with a very ergonomic gear shift. So much better than it used to be.
I bought my CX for winter and I'm still riding it in this glorious weather. On road, off road, up and down hills, through mud, to the pub, back from the pub and for quick trips into the city to buy stuff. I even cart my guitar about on it - but not often.
I really would recommend trying drops out, just to make sure they are not for you :smile:

Top Bottom