Proper Novice.....Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Knobchops

Knobchops

I'm only little...5'3" and I can honestly say I don't think I've had enough bikes or have enough knowledge to know what is a good fit?

BigCoops

Knowing Planet X the spec will be more than adequate, I run one of their carbon road bikes and it's a beast, the spec was excellent for the price (IMHO).

It is a SRAM Apex drivetrain and they look very much like Avid BB series cable disc brakes, the finishing kit will be their own brand stuff (stem, bars etc) which is of decent quality, not sure on the wheel set or tyres, but again, I'm sure a quick email to them will answer any questions you have. :smile:

As far as drop bars go, they give you the advantage of being able to alter your body and hand position, while still retaining control, drops for speed, hoods for comfortable cruising and climbing and tops for sitting up and looking around, buy a drop bar bike with a set of interrupter levers and you can brake from the tops too.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'm only little...5'3" and I can honestly say I don't think I've had enough bikes or have enough knowledge to know what is a good fit?
Go to a place. There is a great bike shop in Southampton. Cycleworld or something. They seem pretty all about in there. You can sit on the bikes - don't know about a test ride there - but you can try them for size and style. They will advise you. After all, they don't want you coming back and being cross because they have sent you off on a totally unsuitable bike. Facebook and twitter are far to powerful to mess with nowadays.

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming it was the women's version?

According to Planet X, at 5'3 you should be ok with the small London road, but talk to them if that's on the short list

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/london-road

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'm a bit taller than you @Knobchops. 5'7" so I can ride bikes for blokes. My CX bike is really short and I love him. He's called Eric (Eric the half a bike). It's not a stretch to ride. The components are brilliant 105 gearset which are as smooth as a smooth thing. Chunky tyres (35mm I think), he goes like stink and I love him so much, that he lives in the bedroom. I let my neighbour's lad have a go on him, as he's looking to spend some birthday money. His Mum won't let him buy a Planet X as he's going to grow yet. Lad is around 5'3" and the bike was too big, it's a 51cm frame. Next one down, in that style of bike would have done very nicely. I all but had to prize him off it. I actually had to bribe him with a guitar lesson!

I've liked the look of this before but maybe too expensive at £699. And no means of test ride...

https://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3641
grand-canyon-al-29-59-w_c1122.png

BigCoops

Knobchops,

I've just thought, if you look at the Argento, select a colour and size, the 'customise' button will highlight, the various pull downs will give you the full spec and any changeable bits, (stem length, bar width etc).

:smile:

OP
OP
Knobchops

Knobchops

Knobchops,

I've just thought, if you look at the Argento, select a colour and size, the 'customise' button will highlight, the various pull downs will give you the full spec and any changeable bits, (stem length, bar width etc).

:smile:
I'm liking this A LOT and I REALLY like this bike, it looks really unique...can someone tell me whats the difference between half bob & bob on grips?

Top Bottom