Proper Novice.....Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/components/finishing-kit/bar-tape-and-grips#!=&g_manufacturer=on-one The grips are described here. Bar ends good for varying hand positions on longer rides

On the spec, you may want to go for a 90mm stem and a 170mm crank. The rest looks to be standard sizing.

Also, call them and ask for a women's saddle so you may not need to change immediately...actually they do have a lady flow saddle in the list :smile: looks ok, although quite narrow, being petite should be ok, available in white or black

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SASIXLAD/selle-italia-x1-lady-flow-saddle

Last edited:

Kumquat

I've always taken the men's/women's bike thing to be a marketing ploy. Whenever I've fixed a friend's (women's) bike, I've been quite comfortable when test-riding it, and imagine the converse is true. (I'm assuming here that Knobchops won't be wearing an Edwardian dress whilst cycling.)

I think there is some difference between mens and ladies bikes, but there is considerable variation is body type even between the same gender (who knew! :rolleyes: ) so some women's bodies will be better on a mens bike and some (especially if particularly small or longs legs/short torso type) will only be comfortable on a womens bike.

At home we only have mens bikes- my mum is very tall, too tall for most (cheap) ladies bikes. Being a tomboy, when I was a child I had boys bikes as the only difference is colour, and then at age about 12 went onto a small men's bike. In hindsight, It may have been a bit heavy for me at the time, but the geometry was very comfortable. I've tried ladies bike belonging to friends/ hire bikes etc and not found them any better for me- that said I'm 5"7 and have shorter legs and a longer torso, so someone with a more "feminine" build (such as op, who is 5"3) may find men's bikes a complete torture!

OP
OP
Knobchops

Knobchops

SO. I have decided that I definitely want this bike. It by far sticks out as a great value excellent looking bike....BUT...
I live in Southampton...the shops are in Barnsley & Sheffield :sad:
Do I buy a bike I've never sat on or ridden?
Do I measure myself & hope for the best and how do I customise when I know nothing about the choices of spec :cry: Somebody HELP MEEEEEEEEE!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Get someone else to measure you, there should be links on the web as to which bits are key (Google Sheldon Brown) and then phone Planet X and ask their advice on sizing

When you say spec choice, what do you mean. Personally, I'd want the ladies saddle, ergonomic grips, perhaps bar ends. Anything else? You have a choice of colours too

OP
OP
Knobchops

Knobchops

Get someone else to measure you, there should be links on the web as to which bits are key (Google Sheldon Brown) and then phone Planet X and ask their advice on sizing

When you say spec choice, what do you mean. Personally, I'd want the ladies saddle, ergonomic grips, perhaps bar ends. Anything else? You have a choice of colours too
I'm good with those bits...its the choice of 2 chains, 3 chainsets, 4 handlebars, 4 stems etc that i'm struggling with:blink:

OP
OP
Knobchops

Knobchops

Why not pop into Hargreaves in Southampton and see what they have??
Thanks, I went to Hargroves and reserved the Specialized bike which I liked but I can't help but feel there's much better out there for my money...you seem to be very limited to what bikes they have in the showroom...I don't want to make a selection from choice of 2 that they show you. I also went to the Hub...yet to try Cycleworld

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm good with those bits...its the choice of 2 chains, 3 chainsets, 4 handlebars, 4 stems etc that i'm struggling with:blink:
Planet X should help you with the last three, determined by your height, leg length, arm length, shoulder width (although not so important on a flat bar, more road bikes)

Chain, KMC meant to be good

Cyclist33

Have you got a bike you can measure those parts up to compare?

My opinions: chain, irrelevant, will be much of a muchness across all bikes on a given budget. Handlebar, if going for flat, measure your shoulder to shoulder width and pick something equal to that. Stems, get an 80 mm one if offered, it makes handling sharp, thusly exciting, and if you're needing a longer one down the line it's cheap to change. Chainset, go for a triple with a 48 tooth top ring, good compromise choice and plenty quick enough, not many people ride in the absolute top gear possible with a bigger chainset anyway.

OP
OP
Knobchops

Knobchops

Have you got a bike you can measure those parts up to compare?

My opinions: chain, irrelevant, will be much of a muchness across all bikes on a given budget. Handlebar, if going for flat, measure your shoulder to shoulder width and pick something equal to that. Stems, get an 80 mm one if offered, it makes handling sharp, thusly exciting, and if you're needing a longer one down the line it's cheap to change. Chainset, go for a triple with a 48 tooth top ring, good compromise choice and plenty quick enough, not many people ride in the absolute top gear possible with a bigger chainset anyway.
Chain options are 114 or 116 links. 90mm stem is the smallest option....chainset is either SRAM APEX GXT 172.5, 170 or 175 50-34t? SRAM PG 1030 OR SRAM PG 1050 11-32T cassette?

vickster

Legendary Member
Chain options are 114 or 116 links. 90mm stem is the smallest option....chainset is either SRAM APEX GXT 172.5, 170 or 175 50-34t? SRAM PG 1030 OR SRAM PG 1050 11-32T cassette?
Go with 50-34 on front, 11-32 on back, should make hills bearable :smile: SRAM don't make triples as far as I know, and in Southampton, I can't imagine you need one :smile:

Crank length, depends on you, I ride 172.5mm but I'm 5'10 with a 34" inside leg or similar. At 5'3 get 170mm if you can, 90mm stem

BUT get your measurements and PHONE Planet X for advice (avoid weekends)

Cyclist33

Chainset. The 172.5 type number is the length of the crank arm, ie the pedal arm. Longer crank arm equals further for your leg to reach the bottom of the stroke and nearer for your leg to reach the top of the stroke. So if you've short legs, pick a shorter crank arm. In reality you're looking at half a centimetre which I don't think will make a difference. 50-34 is the teeth quantities in the front, that's pretty standard although I still think a 48 triple would be better. Don't see why you would need to pick chain specs. 114 I imagine.

Top Bottom