Prozac or derivatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
As someone who suffers from low Serotonin levels, I found taking the prescribed tablets after a while levelled my anxiety out and I now think about life's problems in a more rational way. Been taking the tablets for 9 months now and now have a little niggle in the back of my mind because of how affective the tablets have been. I started to think will I be ok when I stop taking the said medication :blush:
Good luck.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As someone who lives with a person who suffers like this but refuses the doctors help it requires a lot of patience and can be extremely hard on ones own mental health.
I have a daughter like this too ...
I appreciate that I can be a nightmare sometimes too.

classic33

Leg End Member
Their experience, their chemical imbalance, their brain, their head?

Can you see why posts from experience may differ wildly?
Currently on medication "strong enough to put an elephant to sleep", but I lay awake until the early hours. Different opinions are always helpful.
See Prozac for more information.

I've used it and similar site for checking what I'm on over the years.

vickster

Legendary Member
But we all react in different ways. And its possible to "Yellow Card" any drug if something unexpected comes up.
Indeed it is legally expected of doctors to report adverse events (and for market researchers and others to inform pharmaceutical companies so they can inform the regulatory authorities)

classic33

Leg End Member
Indeed it is legally expected of doctors to report adverse events (and for market researchers and others to inform pharmaceutical companies so they can inform the regulatory authorities)
No, I meant you the user can "Yellow Flag" a drug. The system is in place to allow you to do so.
Change of manufacturer had me passing blood within a week of starting them. Didn't notice the change as they were used to complete a prescription.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Hi everyone I actually sent this reply from my phone after being notified of the thread but I think that it may have gone straight to WW rather than to the forum. I see this morning that there have been additional comments so thank you for those. I will definitely be using the meditation links.
As it’s a nice day I will shortly be going out on the bike so hopefully that will ease my problem. Because its local to me I will be cycling over Beachy Head not for any other reason that it is such a nice view from the top so have no fear there.

Thanks whisky wheels for your words of wisdom. What I meant by derivative was another form of Prozac. The actual name is as beens mentioned fluoxetine which I don't doubt you are aware of. I haven't rejected your suggestions of using therapy but at the moment this does seem an easier solution.
What makes this more difficult for me is that my symptoms are physical and I am not aware of actually being depressed. Indeed when I tell you a 16 year old young girl who was a friend of my grandson died last Saturday with cancer then what right have I as a 63 year old to be depressed.
I think the advice I received earlier with regards to why not try it and if I don't feel any different come off of it influenced me to take that second pill. By what I read its going to take 2- 3 weeks to kick in so I will have to see how I feel when it does.
WW I am writing this on my phone and I have just scrolled and seen your comment about the drug so I will bear that in mind.
Prior to this I did have another episode of this and the doctor prescribed me Amity..... your know what I mean and I stopped using that quickly as that made me feel suicidal.
Searching for an alternative solution I am revisiting my self help books on my shelves. I have even just brought a new one today Wishes Fulfilled by Wayne Dyer so I am trying to seek other solutions.
Oh and by the way I have a sister who is a long stay patient in a home for people with learning difficulties so you have my up most respect for the work you previously did.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Fluoxetine's not a derivative of Prozac, it's the generic name. It's the same stuff under the bonnet, so to speak. I too suffer from anxiety (social anxiety in my case), and have found taking antidepressants has helped, along with CBT. I found fluoxetine had some unfortunate side-effects for a chap starting a new relationship (delaying ejaculation), so have changed to duloxetine (Cymbalta), which seems to work in that respect, but means I can't drink. With all these things, it's a question of juggling side-effects.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks mark I hope the replacement drug is suiting your needs now.
This is all new to me so I will have to see how I get on.
I had an interesting conversation with my mates wife earlier who was telling me that the throat restriction pains etc I am experiencing one of their neighbours also had and after having many tests nothing was found so it was clearly stressed related.
So perhaps mine to is caused by stress \ anxiety too.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I have been told I suffer from Health Anxiety and a bit of Social Phobia by my CBT counsellor who I saw for the second time on Monday. So for me it is very early days when it comes to the therapy.

I often end up wondering who'll turn up at my funeral if anybody, often have anxiety attacks in which I think I'm about to peg it, i've experienced these for about thirty years on and off, so I'm glad I'm here to write about it :rolleyes: The thing with the throat I believe is a common anxiety symptom, I sometimes experience the sensation of a lump in my throat, more so when I think about it and all sorts of other physical symptoms. I remember once my Doc looked at me as I walked into his surgery and said 'what is it this time'.
When I done the treadmill stress test, the doc said it was one of the best results he had seen in a long time, yet I left there thinking he may have made a mistake. I don't take medication, for a couple of reasons, one being, I don't want my travel or health insurance to rocket and secondly I will try with the CBT and meditation to resolve issues.

One thing I know is not health anxiety, is my history of kidney stones.........:angry:

Good luck with the meds.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
TJ thank you so much for being so open about your experiences and knowledge of having anxiety as its very helpful to me.
Your point about health insurance is something I had never considered.
I had a great cycle ride yesterday so I did consider not taking a pill but in the end I did because I just want to see whether I do eventually feel better.
That's not to say that I won't look at the other alternatives either.
I am also really glad that you feel it is great to discuss the issue on here and dare I say it I have posted a thread on the CTC forum suggesting that they too should have a section for health and fitness.CycleChat in my opinion is providing a great service to all of us cyclists in providing this section.
It is so great to be able to get advice from like minded people who have experience of the problems we may have.
Good luck for the future TJ.

Tin Pot

Guru
It's hard to take advice, but these days before I go for advice I try to decide whether I'll take it before I ask!

If you're interested in reading, then I would highly recommend The Alchemist (sold everywhere). Hard to say why I liked it given it was so far from my kind of book when I read it, but I think it relaxed my troubled mind.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why would taking medication for anxiety or depression or similar affect your health insurance? When I transferred from a corporate to individual bupa policy at the start of this year, they only asked about history of cancer, heart/cv disease, diabetes and joint / back arthritis in the last 5 years. And whether any medical appointments were arranged for anything. Nothing else. The only potential outcome is that they may not cover psych treatment but that would depend on the policy anyhow

Personally, if an option and depending on the diagnosis, I'd always try some sort of talking therapy first before medication :smile:

Top Bottom