R.I.P Cilla Black.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was wrong about Cilla Black. The day she died i posted that she hadn't visited her home town for years and insinuated that she'd turned her back on Liverpool. My opinion was changed when it was announced that she was to be buried in her mother's grave in the church grounds where she was married. I don't know if this was her choice or that of her sons, i'm presuming it was in her will? Anyway she returned home for good,and there was me thinking she'd be buried hundreds of miles away.
Moving somewhere other than the place where you were born or brought up is really quite common. Lots of people do it and it doesn't mean they've turned their back on their home town. They just moved somewhere else on the planet.

Lullabelle

Banana
I was wrong about Cilla Black. The day she died i posted that she hadn't visited her home town for years and insinuated that she'd turned her back on Liverpool. My opinion was changed when it was announced that she was to be buried in her mother's grave in the church grounds where she was married. I don't know if this was her choice or that of her sons, i'm presuming it was in her will? Anyway she returned home for good,and there was me thinking she'd be buried hundreds of miles away.

Surprised she isn't with her late husband Bobby, although not sure where he is to be honest

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was born in Orleans, France but live in North Wales where I will be buried. My roots are still in my own town though and always will be. I told my wife and children that my only wish is to have a little French flag on my tombstone when I go.

Cyclist33

a) We don't know if it was her choice, so it may not have been. (50% chance without further clarification.)
b) Doesn't change the fact (if true) that she hadn't visited her home town for years.

So I don't think you were necessarily wrong.

I was mercifully untouched by the whole affair. Just as with likeable celebs I don't actually know them so I don't have any feelings when they pass away, it's the same with unlikeable ones.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that the public/tv persona of Cilla is at odds with her personal attitude and if she hadn't made a mint out of a few cheesy singles in the Sixties no one would think she was a particularly nice person. I'm sure if she hadn't become famous she would have had a good set of friends and a nice hubby, but I wouldn't have paid any attention to any of that.

Now Gerry Marsden, he stayed in Liverpool, as he foretold / promised in his song (which he wrote) Ferry Cross the Mersey - but even so I wouldn't pretend to know anything about what he's actually like.

MarkF

Guru
I was listening to live commentary of the funeral on a Spanish radio station whilst on the beach in Valencia. :wacko: I think it was a CDS station, the on-the-spot hack mentioned Jimmy Tarbuck/Beatles and Princess Diana an awful lot and kept saying the people of Liverpool were resilient and would definitely get though it. I was spellbound.

RedRider

Pulling through
Now Gerry Marsden, he stayed in Liverpool, as he foretold / promised in his song (which he wrote) Ferry Cross the Mersey - but even so I wouldn't pretend to know anything about what he's actually like.
His brother and drummer Freddy taught me how to drive - Pacemaker School of Motoring, naturally - some great stories about sharing the bill with the likes of James Brown at the Harlem Apollo.

Cyclist33

The jokes were addressed to me. I didn't find them offensive as I understand the spirit in which they were made by @Dayvo and @rich p. What I do find offensive is people getting offended on my behalf.

Don't give yourself airs, no one is doing anything "on your behalf". If the jokes were addressed to you, how come neither of them said "addressed to regulator" or something similar? Or how come they were, instead of being privately messaged to you, posted openly on a public forum?

The jokes contained outmoded and derogatory terms offensive to a minority community and neither of the posts were framed as anything other than cheap and thoughtless / inconsiderate. I'm really surprised anyone would defend them.

Top Bottom