R.I.P Cilla Black.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
That's from seven years ago and you went and hunted it out? And have we noticed Ricky Tomlinson commenting on her passing? No, he's maintained a dignified silence. It's a shame you didn't have it in you to do the same.

It doesn't negate his opinions.

TheYoutube comments/thread were started yesterday - so not 7 years ago.

I note that many of those who maintain the need for a 'dignified silence' following the death of a well-known person, don't apply the same rules to all . . . such as the passing of (for example) Margaret Thatcher, after which very many bitter comments were made. One rule for one . . .

There was nothing offensive in my comment - I merely mentioned that I was surprised that Cilla and Ricky Tomlinson didn't get on. Equally, I was surprised to read elsewhere, that Cilla was a big fan of Margaret Thatcher and John Major . . . . . . . unusual enough to be worthy of comment.

I think that these are perfectly reasonable observations and ones which I'm perfectly entitled to make.

Last edited:
I found similar when the old racist Patrick Moore died and everyone was gushing about how wonderful he was. Got told off on a sister forum when I pointed out what a horrible racist he was on his RIP thread.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I found similar when the old racist Patrick Moore died and everyone was gushing about how wonderful he was. Got told off on a sister forum when I pointed out what a horrible racist he was on his RIP thread.

You dismiss a man who gave so much as "a horrible racist" because he had opinions about what he saw as happening to his country. He fought during WW2 and lost the love of his life during the conflict. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ermans-70-years-Nazi-bomb-killed-fianc-e.html
I just had to say this, i couldn't ignore or let it go what you said about such a great man. Maybe this thread will now descend into a Society Culture and Politics type thread?

You dismiss a man who gave so much as "a horrible racist" because he had opinions about what he saw as happening to his country. He fought during WW2 and lost the love of his life during the conflict. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ermans-70-years-Nazi-bomb-killed-fianc-e.html
I just had to say this, i couldn't ignore or let it go what you said about such a great man. Maybe this thread will now descend into a Society Culture and Politics type thread?
I didnt dismiss him. He did great work. He was also a big old racist who used his position to air publically his views.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
When did the term 'passing' come into common usage?

Seems to be the term to use all of a sudden.

I'm aware it's an old term but it just seems to be used a lot lately.

OT - Cilla, she had a good life, made some people happy - but seemed self-obsessed when I saw her on chat shows over the years.

Cyclist33

[QUOTE 3833847, member: 43827"]Did he say anything else about one race being superior to another - I really don't know? Or did he just say that he hated Germany because of their actions in a war that he was involved in?

If so then I used to know several relatives, really gentle and generous men, who have now died, who it seems were racist because they could not stop hating the Japanese, because of their treatment as POWS in the second world war.

Racism is a very complex condition.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's quite simple.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Nice version of step inside love played on the radio today . I looked it up for you lovely lot :girl:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just been watching the local (NW) news and it's wall to wall Cilla Black. Nobody does mawkish sentimentality quite like Liverpool

Books of condolence, flags at half mast, folk who've never met her in tears.
Yes i saw the program broadcast from outside the Cavern Club. It was also a nice little holiday for the reporter outside Cilla Blacks Spanish villa. Why they had to send someone out to Spain just to tel us what we already knew i don't know.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
What amazed me was how the Telegraph had two pages about her yesterday.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes i saw the program broadcast from outside the Cavern Club. It was also a nice little holiday for the reporter outside Cilla Blacks Spanish villa. Why they had to send someone out to Spain just to tel us what we already knew i don't know.

And oddly the reporter (lady in green on the news I was watching) had stolen Cilla's teeth.

Top Bottom