Rangers Liquidation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru

Thanks for the link to their forum. Just a look around. There are some interesting comments and belief that Newco Rangers will play in the SPL next season. Equally, there was a comment regarding the value of the assets -£5.5m - seems very low considering the stadium and the training ground are included. I would have thought the land value alone would exceed that figure.

Interesting numbers there.
Has to be said - IMHO Scottish football is poor and could do with a major shake-up. The loss of Rangers from the SPL and the dominance of the Old Firm could be it.
For me - go back to 3 larger leagues (which actually could work in Rangers favour - less seasons needed to get back to the top flight). Non of the playing each other 4x per season nonsense - that is only about Old firm televised rights.
It would mean an adjustment in accepting the footballing level that can be maintained but if it is more financially stable and sustainable is that a problem? Trying to compete with the big european leagues is not going to work.
Of course it won't happen and it'll all limp along with the clubs trying to grab as much tv revenue for themselves until it repeats again.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Meanwhile, on Pie and Bovril, a Scottish football forum, the Rangers administration thread has today reached an ironic page 1690 with over 42000 posts and 3 million views.

When I were a lad my dad would take me to Muirton Park to watch St Johnstone, but not if Rangers or Celtic were in town. When I was old enough to go myself I soon saw what utter vile, bigoted morons the 'supporters' of these two clubs are. The other SPL clubs all have reduced home attendances when the old firm are in town, and if you are in any doubt what ra peepul are like see what they did to Manchester.

The EBTs referred to up thread are nothing to do with the liquidation, as the tax appeal tribunal have not yet ruled on the issue. The current debt owed to HMRC is due to Rangers not paying any VAT or PAYE since last May.
The SFA still have to decide if the EBTs amounted to a dual contract, which if the case means Rangers were fielding unregistered players for over 10 years. In doing so they have cheated the rest of Scottish football out of £millions.
Meanwhile Green's rather unwise decision to take the SFA to the Court of Session could backfire spectacularly as the court ruled that the SFA had to impose a penalty within their rules, which may result in Rangers being suspended from football altogether. Unlike debts, footballing penalties will follow the newco.

Doseone

Guru
If the taxman has been cheated then HMRC are backed in to a corner - they have to take action.

As I understand it, the only reason the smaller clubs may vote to have Rangers back in the SPL would be on the back of a horse trade in exchange for greater voting rights on certain issues.

Without Rangers in the SPL why would Celtic need such a high wage bill or to spend on transfers etc? = bad for the SPL.

Without Rangers in the SPL why would Celtic need such a high wage bill or to spend on transfers etc? = bad for the SPL.

They wouldn't, unless they thought it would make them competitive in europe - which it won't. Domestic success would be expected but then that should be achievable given the revenue they get from gate receipts.
I can't actually see why inflated wage bill and overpriced transfers are a bad thing for the SPL though. Isn't that why Rangers are in their present situation?
TV contracts and revenues will be an interesting area if Rangers are not in the SPL next season.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Punt them out is my view.
Renegotiate TV deals, start afresh without them.
And it might put Celtic in ther place as well given that they will no longer have their city 'rivals' backing them in opposing every decision which favours other teams who are not Celtic or Rangers.

for the greater good, I say punt them out as well, both old firm teams have bullied and cajoled all the other SPL teams. The game is dead up here, so losing the SKY deal, aint going to make a huge amount of difference. I think if Rangers are kept in the SPL then I can see a revolt amongst other fans. I have a degree of sympathy for the true fans but even they have to look at what has been going on and think how can that really be right??

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Keep new Rangers in a lower Scottish league with a cap on spend for all teams in that league, put Celtic in the English Premier league and let the SPL be more of a level playing field which will make it a more interesting league for the tv and the Celtic draw to the English Premier league would be massive for sky!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Keep new Rangers in a lower Scottish league with a cap on spend for all teams in that league, put Celtic in the English Premier league and let the SPL be more of a level playing field which will make it a more interesting league for the tv and the Celtic draw to the English Premier league would be massive for sky!
There is no chance of the Premier League clubs voting one of their own members out to accommodate Celtic. Not only that but EUFA would be unlikely to allow it and the Police (particularly the Met) have voiced strong objections when the issue has been raised in the past.

In any case, Celtic would struggle in the Championship, let alone the top tier. They're not that good a side and the days of strolling through easy fixtures would be over.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
There is no chance of the Premier League clubs voting one of their own members out to accommodate Celtic. Not only that but EUFA would be unlikely to allow it and the Police (particularly the Met) have voiced strong objections when the issue has been raised in the past.

In any case, Celtic would struggle in the Championship, let alone the top tier. They're not that good a side and the days of strolling through easy fixtures would be over.

Pity as I think it would draw large gates in whatever league at least for the first year, just for the novelty!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There was me hoping they would make Ibrox into a Velodrome too....

FWIW, I echo the sentiments of others, Rangers can't stay where they are, they will in effect be a new team and need to pay their dues in the lower divisions just like any other new team. If they are as good as they have been, then it shouldn't take them long to get to the top once more anyway. It would make for some interesting fixtures (and unfortunately quite a few predictable wins) too!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that is interesting, SJ, but the crude, stupid basic fact of the matter is that the SPL got a telly deal which is an absolute corker - way above what they themselves expected - and that telly deal disappears if the four 'Old Firm' matches don't get played. Remember that telly revenues are on the slide, and any deal negotiated this year is unlikely to match a deal negotiated last year.

It's impossible to defend what's happened, but, then again, what happened isn't the fault of the Rangers fans, however much one despairs over the sectarianism on the terraces. Time may prove me wrong, but I think that the smaller clubs will have to vote for Rangers2 to join them in next year's SPL, although one would expect them to go for some cast-iron guarantees about the new company.

I think you're right about Celtic. If they were admitted to the EPL they'd struggle to stay up.

postman

Legendary Member
I have got to say i have not followed this story fully.But on the news last night two figures were shown where the tax bill was a staggering £96 million An offer of £5.5 million was made.Or 9p in every pound.Right or wrong?
So what happens to the guy who fails to put his tax returns in,chased from pillar to post.So why should anyone with a tax bill try not to pay?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It appears that the bigger the company and the more people you employ the more lenient HMRC are towards any PAYE arrears because they then load up the debt with late payment fines, interest and penalties until such a time as it is obvious to HMRC that the debt has grown to be unfeasible to continue, at which point they have first charge on the assets of the company.

Any company that allows itself to defer any payment due to anybody is on a slippery slope and shouldn't be trading anyway. It really winds me up that directors can legally walk away from debts owed to working people by going into administration when it's too late and they can blithely set up another company and do exactly the same all over again. The knock-on effect can be catastrophic and should be outlawed.

Breathe.... I'm calm... it's OK.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
There was me hoping they would make Ibrox into a Velodrome too....

FWIW, I echo the sentiments of others, Rangers can't stay where they are, they will in effect be a new team and need to pay their dues in the lower divisions just like any other new team. If they are as good as they have been, then it shouldn't take them long to get to the top once more anyway. It would make for some interesting fixtures (and unfortunately quite a few predictable wins) too!
fiorentina, in italy, were relegated to the bottom tier of italian football over non-footballing matters. they soon found their way back to serie a. so there's a precedent there.

i'm sure i'm not the only one thinking that rangers won't be the last club that goes though all of this…

Top Bottom