Rate my gardening chances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
the-birds_2105331i.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGjLxFHdUjW6ZoyJ2WQsBqMvCzddCT8vr9CAv2urwrXWdP9NRgow.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Don't take any notice of this lot. Find a landscaping firm in the yellow pages,, and get them to flatten the ground and sew the grass seed. Make sure you get a landscaper with references., it shouldn't cost you a fortune and good luck. PS? That lot are right. It does, look shite :laugh:

How green is your valley big is your garden? You could either use astroturf (for hassle-and maintenance-free gardening) or use rolled turf. But if you want to see the results of your own labours, then a seeded garden is quite rewarding.

It's a technical art, but in a nutshell, this should help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/lawns_sowlawn1.shtml

Once the seed has taken and begins to shoot, water well and often (but don't flood it) and lay a tarpaulin over the grass at nights (to start with) to keep the temperature in the soil, thus aiding healthy growing.

Once it is established, you'll need to aerate (make lots of 3-4 inch deep holes) and dress (cover lightly and evenly with appropriate sand).

Then watch with horror from you window as your kids/neighbours's dogs tear your lawn to shreds! :smile:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

How green is your valley big is your garden? You could either use astroturf (for hassle-and maintenance-free gardening) or use rolled turf. But if you want to see the results of your own labours, then a seeded garden is quite rewarding.

It's a technical art, but in a nutshell, this should help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/lawns_sowlawn1.shtml

Once the seed has taken and begins to shoot, water well and often (but don't flood it) and lay a tarpaulin over the grass at nights (to start with) to keep the temperature in the soil, thus aiding healthy growing.

Once it is established, you'll need to aerate (make lots of 3-4 inch deep holes) and dress (cover lightly and evenly with appropriate sand).

Then watch with horror from you window as your kids/neighbours's dogs tear your lawn to shreds! :smile:

I read that bbc article yesterday.

I don't have a tarpaulin Dayvo but the weather forecast is quite favourable at the moment, so I'm hoping it won't go too cold.

Don't worry @Spinney, this is light compared to the family expertise :smile: It's also probably temporary until we decide on what we really want. I just didn't want it to look a tip and rather than spend a few hundred on turf, I figured a tenner on grass seed wouldn't be too much of waste.

You should go down to the beach and round up some kids to come round with their buckets and spades to sort it out for you

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Crackle,
I'm afraid you need to start again. Hire a rotovator, let that do most of the work. Then rake the soil as level as you can get it, and remove as many stones as possible. Once as level as you can manage walk up and down the soil in rows, firming the soil as you go. Rake the soil again, removing any more stones. Tread and rake again.
Once you are happy that you have a nice fine tilth that's even then you can sow the seed. Sow it like you did in the picture, then rake over the area again.
Now comes the important bit- irrigate daily. Not just getting the surface wet, but giving it a good soaking.
At present it is still a bit too cold for grass seed to germinate as it likes a soil temp around 10 degrees.
Once germinated you need to let the grass reach 4 inches before you cut it. Use a rotary mower on the highest setting. Keep it irrigated right through the summer.
The alternative is to turf, you'll still have to rotovate etc, but you'll get quicker results.
If you need any more advice, just ask. Don't go to a gardening forum, they're full of eejits, like bike forums really.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree with @Spinney the birds are going to thank you, I'm talking from experience, I thought it was sweet all these birds in the garden till I realised what they were up to. Buy another box and put some down before the predicted rain at the weekend, the soil is a little dry at the moment.

Top Bottom