England : Berkshire Reading CTC night ride to Lymington Friday 19th September 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thank you to you lovely people for coming on this ride. And for the way-marking and back-marking.

I'll certainly look into variations suggested although as the route is almost straight as an arrow as it could be any then deviation around Amazingstoke (genius!) and omitting the ferry will certainly increase the distance. Perhaps not a bad thing though as going further west could take in the Test Valley which, in daylight at least, is a beautiful ride in itself.

The 4 of Reading CTC who either hadn't been routed by a bovine blocking manouvre or had a train pre-booked rode back to Southampton via the ferry again. Terrific Tonia gave us another discount on the fare and we took 3 trains (which worked fine) back to Reading arriving at 2pm. A 60th birthday party for one of our members was on for the evening which required a prompt departure from Lymington - not that that stopped us doing a little pre-celebrating on the journey back.

I'm grateful to @dellzeqq for including this ride on the Friday's website so whatever happens for next years Friday's calendar please consider adding this ride in. The date is not inflexible - it just happens to be the same date each year because the first time we did it, the round-up was happening at the time in the New Forest which was spectacular to see but not, as yet repeated.
The increase in distance could be very slight, and don't forget the time savings in omitting the ferry. I've been thinking through a few alternatives, this is what I came up with as a first draft. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6072486 A few steep bits- three climbs over 10% but all less than 15%- and 73 miles. You'd probably want to tweak the exit from Reading.

frank9755

Cyclist
The Test Valley is indeed gorgeous, but there's precious little open there during the daytime, let alone at 3am for a halfway stop.

The Lyndhurst-Brockenhurst road is busy. If doing something else, better to enter the Forest from Sherfield English and do a loop out to the west, coming in via Bolderwood, the Arboretum and Rhinefield - which is quieter and even prettier.

StuAff

The Test Valley is indeed gorgeous, but there's precious little open there during the daytime, let alone at 3am for a halfway stop.

The Lyndhurst-Brockenhurst road is busy. If doing something else, better to enter the Forest from Sherfield English and do a loop out to the west, coming in via Bolderwood, the Arboretum and Rhinefield - which is quieter and even prettier.
On the first part, my first draft sticks with the Winchester Shell garage for that very reason. On the second Lyndhurst-Brockenhurst is pleasant enough when it's quiet (done it early on weekend mornings), but that sounds like a good idea. Went down Rhinefield yesterday.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The increase in distance could be very slight, and don't forget the time savings in omitting the ferry. I've been thinking through a few alternatives, this is what I came up with as a first draft. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6072486 A few steep bits- three climbs over 10% but all less than 15%- and 73 miles. You'd probably want to tweak the exit from Reading.
White Hill followed by the huff up to Hannington Mast - you'll not be popular Stu! It's a lovely route, though I'd tweak the bit from Popham to come through Micheldever, Stoke Charity and Kings Worthy rather than cross the M3. I'd also choose Romsey and down into the NF rather than the meh ride from Winchester through Eastleigh to Scum and the ferry. Bolderwood and Rhinefield should be compulsory.
I'm trying to think of alternatives to the Winchester Shell, but we're all usually in bed by 10pm. It's not a party town.

StuAff

White Hill followed by the huff up to Hannington Mast - you'll not be popular Stu! It's a lovely route, though I'd tweak the bit from Popham to come through Micheldever, Stoke Charity and Kings Worthy rather than cross the M3. I'd also choose Romsey and down into the NF rather than the meh ride from Winchester through Eastleigh to Scum and the ferry. Bolderwood and Rhinefield should be compulsory.
I'm trying to think of alternatives to the Winchester Shell, but we're all usually in bed by 10pm. It's not a party town.
Thanks Paul.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sounds like it was fab, sorry I couldn't make it,although I did have a pretty good (if wet) ride myself on Saturday. Hope to join you on one or two of these next year.

StuAff

Please keep the route as it is! I like the ferry, even allowing for my dislike of sailing generally - it breaks the journey and is a chance for a coffee and a rest. And I'm not keen on any more hills than we had on Saturday morning, thanks very much.
There's no more climbing in the route I posted upthread than Olaf's track from Friday, honest. Alternatives with less climbing too. Point taken about coffee stop, but there are plenty of pubs, coffee shops and pubs in Romsey (did I mention the pubs?) let alone the western side of Southampton Water. There's certainly good scope to cut out the dubious charms of Basingstoke......
Another version http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6078412

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The route options are an embarrassment of riches, so it's always going to be difficult. I can see how the USP of the ferry ride appeals, but at the same time a very early morning visit through Nomansland and the ornamental drives would just be lovely. Similarly the 'stoke - some superb riding round and about, but in the end it's what sbird as the organiser feels works and keeps the route manageable.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
@srw, what news of the collective noun for baboons?
Apparently it's a congress. Though why you're asking me, I haven't the foggiest (or even mistiest) recollection.

srw

Oh, and since we didn't say it on Saturday - goodbye, everyone. It was a lovely ride while it lasted, and pleasure to have been wheezing our way up the hills behind you.

srw

OK - some of them are intentionally humorous coinages by scriptwriters on comedy shows.

Can I just say Swing Swang Lane?

Top Bottom