FNRttC Reading Curry Ride Friday 23rd September 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Hmm, poking around on the CyclingUK website I found this:

(my bold)
Which is not what you said, or what you've been told. I may have misinterpreted it though, but it does appear clear to me. Link to where I found it :http://www.cyclinguk.org/insurance/third-party-insurance

Tim it would appear that your finding is correct in terms of cover is the same for affiliated and full Members. Though full Members still only get the legal advice top up.

Also affiliated membership still only entitles you to ride with the affiliated group rather than the wider Cycling UK Members groups

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
All booked and form submitted. :smile: Not sure whether I'll be attending the curry event. Not actually sure whether it would be a splendid idea.

Tim Hall

Tim it would appear that your finding is correct in terms of cover is the same for affiliated and full Members. Though full Members still only get the legal advice top up.

Also affiliated membership still only entitles you to ride with the affiliated group rather than the wider Cycling UK Members groups
Sorry to bang on about this, but another snippet from the CyclingUK website is at odds with your "only entitled to ride with your affilated group" bit:
There is a list of Cycling UK groups or consult our UK Cycling Events guide. Contact the local group to discuss the kind of rides they do – the chances are there will be a group locally that matches your requirements. If not, they may know of others that will. Cycling UK members, whether full or affiliate members, are free to ride with any Cycling UK Member Groups anywhere in the country so contact them if you are nearby.

(again, the bold bits are mine)

Source: https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycling-guide/ride-group

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Sorry to bang on about this, but another snippet from the CyclingUK website is at odds with your "only entitled to ride with your affilated group" bit:

(again, the bold bits are mine)

Source: https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycling-guide/ride-group

Thank you for your research it would appear that things may of have been sensibly relaxed to maximise the reach and appeal of Cycling UK membership or I was given the wrong slant in the first case.

The main thing is you need some form of Cycling UK Third Party Insurance to enjoy the magic of FNRTTC.

Tim Hall

Thank you for your research it would appear that things may of have been sensibly relaxed to maximise the reach and appeal of Cycling UK membership or I was given the wrong slant in the first case.

The main thing is you need some form.of Cycling UK Third Party Insurance to enjoy the magic of FNRTTC.
Agreed. Now I need to find my membership card. I've put it "somewhere safe".

frank9755

Cyclist
My understanding, from having read up about it in the past, was as Tim's, so good to have it confirmed that it is still the case.
@AKA Bob, it might be worth amending your earlier posts to avoid them giving incorrect info to people searching in future...?

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Having spoken to Cycling UK HQ this morning there still seems to be some confusion.

Full Members and Affliated members both have the same third party cover for damage and injuries they cause others.

Only Full Members have access to legal advice and representation to make claims against another where they have suffered damage or injuries by a third party. ie the member is the victim.

Also interestingly they also said which was my original interuputation but infomation found on the Cycling UK website contradicted. Affilated members are tied in terms of rides to the group they are Affilated to and though could ride as guest with member groups would not be entitled to ride automatically with other groups with out full membership.

Full Members get six issues of Cycle.

Only full Members have full voting rights.

Both full and Affilated are entitled to discounts and offers provided by 3rd party companies.

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

As I said, they seem to be in a terrible muddle. Personally I'd take what it says on the website over what some person on the phone says.

I agree with you about who can ride with whom which is really a minor point and doesn't concern this ride. The rest is pretty much clear cut about insurance and the bolt on extra policy full membership gives you.

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Well I'm happy to go full membership if it gets me the full benefits. @AKA Bob, does it heve to be CyclingUk cover to join the Fridays if so many people who will be covered by British Cycling already would either be excluded or have to stump up for duel membership.

That's another debate which hopefully won't occur on this thread However the decision of The Fridays is we would like people to have Cycling UK membership and to join the Fridays Club if they would like to ride with us.

Last edited:
@AKA Bob
I am interested in joining the ride, sounds lovely, different from other FNRttC rides. At the risk of appearing quite thick (not especially difficult, I know), I have a query: I have read all the bumf FNRttC kindly sent to me and it tells me where it starts, where it goes, where it breaks but not where it finishes. I am guessing this might be ol' london town. Could you be more specific as to an 'official' finishing point (eg Madeira Caff; as there is no Coast involved)?
I am also guessing there will be a rehydration option - is this likely to be at the 'finish' or another venue?
Thanks
stupid of storrington
(the reason for the query is to arrange transportation back to the sticks)

Top Bottom