FNRttC Reading Curry Ride Friday 23rd September 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
If you are thinking on travelling on either the 22.15 or 22.45 trains from Paddington to Reading and need a bike space please let me know as I have reserved the spare spaces on both trains

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
What's our eta back in Reading? I was planning to just buy an open return but then remembered that these days a bike reservation & therefore a seat reservation is necessary so I am wondering whether the 1010 will be OK? or will that restrict the morning's fun?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What's our eta back in Reading? I was planning to just buy an open return but then remembered that these days a bike reservation & therefore a seat reservation is necessary so I am wondering whether the 1010 will be OK? or will that restrict the morning's fun?

We will be heading back to Reading arriving around 8am with breakfast and beer over looking the Kennet Canal.

10:10 will give you 2hr 10 mins of fun. Provided that you can continue having fun right up to the moment you board the train.

By the way, I'm planning some sort of SMRbtH (weather and whim permitting). I've not figured out a proper route yet but probably heading sort of towards Woking. Then either heading East from Woking to SE London or, if feeling energetic, crossing the Downs sort of Dorking-ish, then heading East and then North re-crossing them sort of Godstone ish. Or, of course, depending on weather and whim, just getting the train back to London.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Reservationless travel is possible on a slow direct train to Paddington, a train to Guildford and Gatwick for South London and the South Coast, or on a very slow train to Waterloo.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I'm planning some sort of SMRbtH
Thanks for that: I thought it was on the thread somewhere but didn't find it on a rapid browse.
I've booked myself a return at 1015 anyway but weather & body permitting will consider the SMRbtH although heading for east London the traverse south of London is less attractive (& I don't think there is another option). The return ticket total was only £17.75 so not the end of the world to scrap it.
I ran into a minor difficulty (well it is a hassle) finding a bike reservation so will arrive in Reading at 2110 for curry.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
If you are thinking on travelling on either the 22.15 or 22.45 trains from Paddington to Reading and need a bike space please let me know as I have reserved the spare spaces on both trains
Merely drawing this point to your attention, Fridaypeeps.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a sort of planny thing for Saturday morning. If anyone's interested in joining me they are welcome. All dependent on weather and how my legs are feeling, of course. I may just get the train back.

So - plan A is 78km (abt 50 miles, enough to make it up to a ton) to Purley via Ascot, Weybridge and Epsom. Direct trains from Purley to London Bridge. Or less direct ones to other destinations via E Croydon. But note there is some scheduled engineering that will render the service crap. Technical definition of what that means is available on the National Rail website.
Plan B is get the train back to London. Probs to Clapham Junct.
Plan C was the over enthusiastic route, skirting round South of London and crossing the Downs twice. I won't be attempting that, on advice from my legs, who are not best pleased after Sunday's ride.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
can't come. visitors from oz.

Neophyte

Regular
Ladies and Gentleman,

The next Friday Night Ride to the Coast is taking place on the 23rd September 2016 and registration is now open. Please register your interest by using the following link.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...v7-kt7fNMF99i32i-nD0MZKzNaOQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

I would like to invite you to an unusual ride for The Fridays as we don’t depart from London or arrive on the Coast for breakfast instead for those who undertake this adventure will be completing a circular route of about 65 miles through the beautiful countryside that Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire has to offer including some of the gorgeous 'ups and downs' the Chilterns has to offer. This will not be a flat ride but there is nothing which should concern you if you have a reasonable range of gears. Like all Friday's rides no one will be left behind as we will deploy the well tested system of Waymarkers and Tail End Charlies.

For those who need water for their night riding pleasure please don’t worry the magnificent River Thames will not be far away and will be crossed on a number occasions as we navigate our way around the route including a weir. Unlike the rides that start at Hyde Park Corner we will leave urban traffic behind within minutes of departing and find ourselves travelling down quiet country lanes.

The halfway stop will be at Velolife a dedicated cycle café which has kindly offered to open their doors in the early hours to nourish us with delicious coffee, rolls and cake.

We will be departing at Midnight from the north side of Reading Railway Station (back entrance adjacent to platform 15) and I ask that participants arrive by 11.30pm to sign in and receive the safety briefing ready for a prompt departure at midnight.

Hopefully we will be joined by some members from Reading CTC.

Reading is served by various frequent trains services. You can either travel from London Paddington on the very regular High Speed Service which takes about 25mins. However bikes reservations need to be made in advance with a maximum of 6 bikes per train. There is also a regular stopping service which takes about an hour and has no bike reservation issues.

Those of you travelling from South or South West London you might prefer to use the twice hourly South West train service from Waterloo which stops at Clapham Junction and Richmond and also takes about an hour to reach Reading and there are also no need for bike reservations.

For those wondering why it is called the Reading Curry Ride then for those who are interested we will be visiting the Standard Tandoori in Reading for a pre ride meal. If interested in eating please email fridaynightridetothecoast@gmail.com putting 'Curry' in the title. Please arrive by 9.30pm so we can depart and cycle the five minutes to the restrauant. The Standard Tandoori are very bike friendly and have a secure rear yard which we can store our bikes in.

Looking forward to seeing many returning and new faces soon on this not to be missed ride.

Titus

Ride Leader.
Titus
I'm new to the rides and to this forum so apologies if have posted incorrectly.

I plan to ride my six speed Brompton. Will that be enough gearage for the hills?

Thanks for a steer.

Neophyte aka Jon

PS Have joined the Fridays, signed up for the ride and am a member of fka CTC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Titus
I'm new to the rides and to this forum so apologies if have posted incorrectly.

I plan to ride my six speed Brompton. Will that be enough gearage for the hills?

Thanks for a steer.

Neophyte aka Jon

PS Have joined the Fridays, signed up for the ride and am a member of fka CTC.

Jon we will be doing nothing I haven't personally done on my own 6 speed Brompton. See you next Friday

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Top Bottom