recommend a G shock or other night visible watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cumisky

I use a garmin Vivoactive, does what you want with the bonus of accurate GPS and easy uploading to Strava, with more accurate data than the phone, particularly when it comes to climbing stats.
The new Vivoactive HR also has built in heart rate, though more expensive than the first generation.

The new Vivoactive HR also has built in heart rate, though more expensive than the first generation.

HRT on it is about as accurate as a stopped watch - probably right twice a day - but it makes an alright all day watch

Edit - actually it is a vivosmart Ive got on my wrist - but the HRT bit is the same

MarkF

Guru
Hi Sanddancer, I too have a lot of watches as I've been a collector for over 20 years.

The best G-Shock I've ever had, and loads have passed through, is the GW6900, recently discontinued, they'll go up in value. Solar powered, legible, unbreakable and the light automatically comes on at a gentle flick of your wrist. I've had it 6 years and don''t envisage ever buying a replacement.
medium_533821-fs-casio-g-shock-gw6900-1-solar-atomic-watch-80-00-brand-new.jpg

I've used it for all sorts of work and sports but......................I don't ever use it for cycling. ^_^ For the same reason I don't use any G-Shock, or many of my divers or nearly every automatic, the cases are too deep, they dig into your upper hand, there is no getting away from it, either they dig in your hand, or, you have the strap so tight they can't move down your arm as you cycle, either way the result is irritating for me. G-Shocks are as bad as divers because of the shielded (proud) buttons on the case sides.

I wanted something that stayed in position without irritating me, had a slim case, a clear legible face that I could see at night and good lume too. It had to be decent, not a manky cheap watch and I after a few trials I settled on the below, a 38mm Orsa military watch. I use it on every ride and it's been on many tours. I use a velcro olive hemp strap, it's super comfy, on tour you can wash the sweat out and it'll dry quick and it's fastening ensures that if you bang it badly and lose one spring bar (it's happened to me more then once) the watch can't fall from your wrist.
Orsa-Mil-09.jpg

Ok, it's discontinued. ^_^ But that's what I would go for, a slim, quartz, military, white or cream dialled, 36/38mm watch with a velcro fastening strap for micro adjustment. My son has a very similar Lorus watch, 36mm but the whole face is lit (via lume) at night.

My strap is very plain but there are a ton of fancy ones around for only a few quid. :eek:

g_meridian-zero-watch-straps_70031.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sanddancer

sanddancer

yes, yes and yes, though if you want full on satnav then you're gonna end up paying a pretty penny for the more higher end units. my 520 can manage at least two to three weeks if you use it about an hour or two per day 4 or 5 days a week.

Thanks. A sat nav with route planner is something I have thought about for going off into the unknown :biggrin: so I will have search ;) :smile:
The watch os something mainly to check the time on my commute and to wear at work.

OP
OP
sanddancer

sanddancer

Hi Sanddancer, I too have a lot of watches as I've been a collector for over 20 years.

The best G-Shock I've ever had, and loads have passed through, is the GW6900, recently discontinued, they'll go up in value. Solar powered, legible, unbreakable and the light automatically comes on at a gentle flick of your wrist. I've had it 6 years and don''t envisage ever buying a replacement.
medium_533821-fs-casio-g-shock-gw6900-1-solar-atomic-watch-80-00-brand-new.jpg

I've used it for all sorts of work and sports but......................I don't ever use it for cycling. ^_^ For the same reason I don't use any G-Shock, or many of my divers or nearly every automatic, the cases are too deep, they dig into your upper hand, there is no getting away from it, either they dig in your hand, or, you have the strap so tight they can't move down your arm as you cycle, either way the result is irritating for me. G-Shocks are as bad as divers because of the shielded (proud) buttons on the case sides.

I wanted something that stayed in position without irritating me, had a slim case, a clear legible face that I could see at night and good lume too. It had to be decent, not a manky cheap watch and I after a few trials I settled on the below, a 38mm Orsa military watch. I use it on every ride and it's been on many tours. I use a velcro olive hemp strap, it's super comfy, on tour you can wash the sweat out and it'll dry quick and it's fastening ensures that if you bang it badly and lose one spring bar (it's happened to me more then once) the watch can't fall from your wrist.
Orsa-Mil-09.jpg

Ok, it's discontinued. ^_^ But that's what I would go for, a slim, quartz, military, white or cream dialled, 36/38mm watch with a velcro fastening strap for micro adjustment. My son has a very similar Lorus watch, 36mm but the whole face is lit (via lume) at night.

My strap is very plain but there are a ton of fancy ones around for only a few quid. :eek:

g_meridian-zero-watch-straps_70031.jpg

Nice watch and I know the lorus you mention. Good point about the strap. I do have one of those straps somewhere and two leather military straps with the same sort of principle if one watch pin breaks ;)

I know what you mean about the chunky style watches and I had an issue with mine where I would leave the jacket sleeve back to see the watch but not ideal in the winter. Hence why I fancy a diver strap to wear over the jersey sleeve but now you mention the pin breaking you have put me off that idea lol :biggrin:

MarkF

Guru
Nice watch and I know the lorus you mention. Good point about the strap. I do have one of those straps somewhere and two leather military straps with the same sort of principle if one watch pin breaks ;)

I know what you mean about the chunky style watches and I had an issue with mine where I would leave the jacket sleeve back to see the watch but not ideal in the winter. Hence why I fancy a diver strap to wear over the jersey sleeve but now you mention the pin breaking you have put me off that idea lol :biggrin:

I use the Orsa in winter and it's so slim that moving the cuff back isn't an issue, it's also decent enough to wear anywhere. I've been on tour, noticed my watch flapping about and been grateful for the strap, no idea what I catch the watch on strong enough to lose a spring bar but not enough for me to notice.:blink:

I far prefer chunky watches and normally wear divers but they are useless for cycling, like many "cycling" watches are, surely never designed by anybody who rode a bike for any length of time?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hence why I fancy a diver strap to wear over the jersey sleeve
Depends how big a wrist you have, but a long Nato strap should do up over it. That's how I used to wear my G Shock in winter, iirc.

More recently, I had a Momentum Atlas with a lume dial that was very visible at night (I had to reach over and press the button on the G Shock). There are some Citizen Eco-Drives that have good lume and clear dials for between £60 & £100, and will be more than waterproof enough for cycling (e.g. the BM-8180, which has a white dialled variant too and was £70ish at Argos, iirc).

OP
OP
sanddancer

sanddancer

I use the Orsa in winter and it's so slim that moving the cuff back isn't an issue, it's also decent enough to wear anywhere. I've been on tour, noticed my watch flapping about and been grateful for the strap, no idea what I catch the watch on strong enough to lose a spring bar but not enough for me to notice.:blink:

I far prefer chunky watches and normally wear divers but they are useless for cycling, like many "cycling" watches are, surely never designed by anybody who rode a bike for any length of time?

The problem with the orsa or lorus is I would probably struggle to see the hands.
I don't know how I knocked the crown off my g-shock clone either :biggrin:

OP
OP
sanddancer

sanddancer

Thanks very much for all the feedback.
really appreciate it.
and thanks to @MarkF i nipped to argos and bought a lorus lumibrite that was reduced to £25.
Did a little research and the face paint is the same as seiko use since lorus is part of the seiko group so should be good.

Nice slim comfortable to wear.
Probably still buy a g shock :biggrin:

20160519_201222.jpg
20160519_201228.jpg
20160519_201256.jpg

Top Bottom