Recommend a Helmet Please......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't like helmets with big vents as my hair looks daft (rather than all of me looking daft)! Comfort is key and aesthetic (on me, as far as a helmet can look aesthetically pleasing)
Take heart - few people look really good in a helmet I think apart from those with chiseled features.

Re the post above, check out some of Specialized's cheaper helmets. Perfectly good.

Some shops don't stock their cheaper helmets in think in case folk twigg that you don't have to pay a small fortune for a lid unless you are in the Tour.

1. It must fit
2. It must be comfortable
3. It must be secure
4. It should pass Snell B95, or similar testing
this... nothing else is really important (including what my hair looks like sorry @vickster ;) )

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, but hair is also a consideration, in terms of comfort. Expensive helmets with big vents and aerodynamics don't suit me, so I wouldn't put ventilation high on the list. I tried lots of helmets before getting my Uvex Boss Race

vickster

Legendary Member
Take heart - few people look really good in a helmet I think apart from those with chiseled features.

Re the post above, check out some of Specialized's cheaper helmets. Perfectly good.

Some shops don't stock their cheaper helmets in think in case folk twigg that you don't have to pay a small fortune for a lid unless you are in the Tour.
My other helmet is an Echelon, looks more crap than the Uvex which cost about the same (this was to replace a 3 month old Cannondale that took a knock in the accident and is ready for the bin, but will stay put until the claim is settled, reckon it'll be very dusty by then)

maltloaf

It's foolish to buy one without trying. I went to Evans with £100 to spend on a helmet and walked out with a £30 specialized align as it was the one that fitted the best and was the most comfortable on MY head.

Not quite there are two different standards. The EU one and the American, Snell 95, one. The latter is a slightly higher standard.

Sorry to be picky......

The EN1078 is a worthless one!

It is not recognised in the US for sporting events, and even in the UK some organisers insist on higher standards

migrantwing

Veteran
I have a Giro Savant helmet. Cost me around £40. The missus got herself a helmet from Decathlon. It cost around £30 and is very, very similar to my Giro. In fact, I prefer the fit and look of her helmet to mine. It's slightly less bulky than the Giro.

canvas.png

Giro Savant

big_86460c600ad847499e55fc1d4cbc1706.jpg

Decathlon B'Twin 700

Attachments

• big_86460c600ad847499e55fc1d4cbc1706.jpg
    big_86460c600ad847499e55fc1d4cbc1706.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 21

ayceejay

Guru
If you find a comfortable helmet please let me know as three helmets later I am convinced no such animal exists. Both the Bell and the Giro have removable foam bits Velcro'd in, after a while they become soaked in sweat therefore smelly but no replacement can be found. I have just bought a Mavic under helmet cap to try to solve this problem.

Sharky

Guru
When buying, find out about their crash replacement policy. Giro do or did - have had to replace mine twice and the replacement is about 60% of the original price.
Madison offer a replacement service I think.

Keith

montroseloon

I bought a Prowell helmet which is nice, light and also adjustable and can also be fitted with a shark fin light for extra visibility. I know that it passes the EU tests but not sure about the Snell 95 one

screenman

Legendary Member
If you find a comfortable helmet please let me know as three helmets later I am convinced no such animal exists. Both the Bell and the Giro have removable foam bits Velcro'd in, after a while they become soaked in sweat therefore smelly but no replacement can be found. I have just bought a Mavic under helmet cap to try to solve this problem.

Do you not just take them out and wash them?

Also Chain Reaction stock inserts for most helmets.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/helmets/helmets-spares

Sorry to be picky......

The EN1078 is a worthless one!

It is not recognised in the US for sporting events, and even in the UK some organisers insist on higher standards

How can they do that? Most helmets in the UK I've seen say something like "meets one or more of the following standards", so it's actually quite hard to know.

I checked on line, and found that all spesh helmets meet the Snell standard (caveat: as I remember), but you can't tell from UK packaging.

Mike!

Guru
[QUOTE 3247562, member: 45"]Me too. The Concept Store matched an online price so I got it for about £55. I used to get real head pain after about an hour with my old Bell helmets. This one is completely comfortable, all day long.[/QUOTE]
I will upset you then, paid £49 for mine due to club discount at my LBS ^_^

Top Bottom