Richmond Park this Saturday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In a bid to get fitter and improve my (pretty awful) hill climbing ability before Whitstable I'm hoping to do a few Richmond Park sessions this month. Does anyone fancy joining me on Saturday for a few laps (weather permitting)?

It won't be particularly early because I usually get a little squiffy after work on Fridays!
whistling.gif

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hmmm, semi tempted, but I really cant say for certain as like you, this friday is beer o'clock time!

Andrij

Über Member
could make it an afternoon thing . . . . . park shuts at 6 I think.

Unless it's deer cull time, the park is open 24-7 for walkers and cyclists. As you want to practice for Whitstable post-sunset RP rides are perfect: climbs, quiet roads, and darkness! Just watch out for the deer.

Saturday morning Becs? :eek:
You would revel in admiring the stony-faced peloton of London Dynorod as they whirr around the road, anti-clock.
Better to go later as your reluctant body will suggest...
Haverstock Hill, Highgate Hill, East Heath Road etc is gentle enough introduction to breathlessness, but I suppose you you would be dabbling in 4x4 territory at its most active...there's a whole lot of shopping going on!
On a serious point, Richmond Park should become just that - a park. Ban the motors, save for a land train or so...in The Gower, for example, there is a land train to chugg people around. This idea would work very well in Richmond Park for people wishing to do a tour, leaving the tarmac free for healthy pursuit and so forth...and not another rolling car park.

Edited: Can't spell!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure about this Saturday (week off seems to be morphing into week down the pub) but I like the idea. Count me in for future weeks.

redjedi

Über Member
It won't be particularly early because I usually get a little squiffy after work on Fridays!
whistling.gif

Surely that's better training for Whitstable than any hill climbing :cheers:

Not sure what I'm doing yet this weekend. I don't think I wrapped up warm enough on Friday night and as a result have been feeling under the weather for the past couple of days.
I also need to go over to Wokingham to get the keys to my brother's house before he goes on holiday, and see my two nephews.

But I do enjoy a good blast around RP, except as 'teef says, in the summer when everyone likes to get in their cars and sit in yet more traffic jams :rolleyes:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
[QUOTE 1193641"]
I tend to go early Sat morn before the gates open - great with no cars. Get there for six and home by nine!

Considering I only live a 10 min bike ride from Kingston Gate, I could/should prob pop down for a couple of laps or three. If it's dry.

Sure your hangover will be over by lunch, Davy...?

ETA?
[/quote]

Ive been known to stay in bed till gone 6pm.... and then mope about feeling sorry and ill with the inabilty to walk and talk straight still till the next day... Hangovers arent what they used to be like...

But, were see!

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
I'm thinking not before 11am with maybe a pint or 2 in Barnes afterwards . . . . I have no commitments on Saturday though so I can fit round the severity of people's hangovers! :tongue:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Count us in. We've had a change of arrangements so are free this weekend. HPC at 11? Lunch at the cafe in the North East segment of the park?

Abs

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I was going to get the overground to Richmond from Hampstead, maybe we could meet at Richmond station at 11.30?

Might be a little later for me. I've just remembered I've got a dentist appointment at 10:15 and I don't know how long that will take. :?

What's the cost of the train down as that maybe the quickest way for us now I've remembered the appointment?

Abs

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Overground is £1.30 each way on an oyster card. Not sure about cash fare.

Bloomin eck that's cheap. Cool, we'll ride to Hampstead Heath station then as soon as I'm out of the dentists. I've never taken my bike on a train before. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Bloomin eck that's cheap. Cool, we'll ride to Hampstead Heath station then as soon as I'm out of the dentists. I've never taken my bike on a train before. :ohmy:

The overground is great, loads of space for loads of bikes - however I've just checked the tfl website and the trains are only going as far as South Acton on Saturday with loads of changes. How about you give me a call when you leave and I'll meet you somewhere to pedal down? I'm guessing it will take about an hour (I usually go through Hammersmith and Barnes but if you know a better route I'm all ears! I'll PM you my number)

Dave and Luke (and anyone else) - if your hangovers/lurgies subside and you feel like joining us I guess aim for 12 noon at Roehampton gate, or you could PM me your numbers and I can let you know if we are running early/late.

Fingers crossed it stays dry!

Top Bottom