Ride Report: Mouseketeers pop out for the Sunday paper.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Part I:

Howdo. Woke up early Sunday morning, MrsArallsopp still asleep. Thought it would be nice to pop out and grab the day's paper before the family wake up. I need to log some miles this month, so what the hell, I'll take the 'bent.

Hmmm... Now I know people tease Auntie Helen for logging grocery trips, so maybe this wouldn't be fair. Thing is, for her to go get groceries means going all the way to Essex! If those aren't loggable miles, clearly I'm going to have to go a bit further afield. Wonder if there's a local rag for Norfolk & Suffolk?

Hmmm.. That'd be a long trip. I best don my mouse ears, pull on the white gloves, and collect young ILB. We hook up at The Dripping Tap in Bromley. Its 3am. ILB is in 'full on touring configuration' sporting a 1 litre seat pack, and plethora of lights front and rear. I'm on the Furai, my GPS is loaded with a route from home to London Fields, and another called the 'Dun Run'.

We get going pretty sharpish, descending into SE London, shedding jerseys and jackets as we lose altitude. The night is hot, humid, and peppered with the remains of Saturday night revelers, so we seek refuge in that most charming of environs, "The Rotherhithe Tunnel". I've wanted to cycle through this since seeing Ben's youtube vid, so it was with eager anticipation that we descended into its depths.

What Ben's camera footage doesn't make clear is:
  • he is an extremely strong cyclist, untroubled by gradients.
  • he is seemingly heat proof.

Seriously. The tunnel must have been a few thousand degrees in itself, and through peculiarities of the 'air conditioning' both directions had a major headwind. If you've ever swung open the oven door to grab a tray of chips, and got caught in the backdraft from the fan, its like that. You know that trick with the ping pong ball and the hairdryer? That's us.

Exiting onto the north side of the river, repeated unlikely turns prove correct as we swing East, then North through the side streets to London Fields. The park is muddy, so we skirt the edges for a while looking for the start of our onward route. Having never attempted the run out to Dunwich, we are using a donor GPS track recorded in 2006 and kindly shared on the web. I’ve remapped it using Audax style routing, the sky is brightening, its twelve minutes past 4, lets off!

Immediately, a splendid lack of research, familiarity, and local knowledge treats us to a U turn in a bus garage and a shortcut through a church yard. I assure ILB that this is a ‘known issue’ and that we will only have one more 300yd section where the downloaded route doesn't seem to line up to any road. These are the consequences of 500 point filtering, perhaps.

We exit town on the A102, join the first of many extremely straight roads, clear the marshlands between Hackney and Leyton, and bump along the Epping Road for what seems like ever. This is where we formalize the first laws of future route selection:
  • Any road we look forward to (eg. Rotherhithe tunnel) will, on arrival, prove horrible.
  • Any road through a forest will be dull, straight, and have an abysmal surface.
(Incidentally, the worst road we’ve ridden was the approach to Bournemouth through New Forest, scoring high in both camps.)

Anway, Epping forest subscribes to form with the GPS punctuating 6km silences to say “E02” or “SOX” all the damn way. The rising sun is battling with the morning mist, and lays a slab of orange as it filters through the tree cover. The light is so solid, I read it as a hill, and drop a gear. The road continues straight, level. Me, ILB, and my rattling cassette.

3674380507_ed81496d14_b.jpg

We smack over a pair of cattle grids flanking a roundabout, to finally reach an instruction to ‘BR’ (bear right). Momentarily lifted, we swing off into dense fog around North Weald. The sun is (presumably) up, but visibility is down. The GPS chimes in with a ‘SOX’, which we don’t even see until we’re 6 metres from it. Quite handy to have the little unit with us at times like this.

We exit Moreton at 0545, maintaining an average of 16mph and getting turn warnings from the GPS. I consider setting the ‘off track’ warning to keep me from straying into the hedges. The fog stays with us through many villages called “…Roding”, lifts briefly as we pass through Dunmow, then blankets us again as we begin the search for breakfast. Stebbing seems short on shops, Great Bardfield short on houses, the (two) residents of Finchingfield clearly don’t eat. One more strike would confirm the hypothesis… There are no shops in Essex:smile:

Distracting us from our hunger is the village of Wethersfield. Immediately upon hitting the outskirts, we begin to pick out shadowy figures at the edge of the road, some stood in front gardens, some tucked behind gates, children and adult alike, all indifferently frozen to our greetings. We become aware that the only life we’ve seen since leaving London has been relatively fresh roadkill… This has all got a bit sinister.

Realisation dawns that these are scarecrows. We discover the third and fourth laws:
  • Scarecrows in fields are figures of fun and function; environmentally friendly follies; favourites of trips to Oz and Aunt Sally.
  • Scarecrows in a high street are fear inducing effigies of horror; Blair Witch channeling the Wickerman; that episode of Doctor Who where the mannequins come to life, only they’re dressed as clowns. This is deeply phobic stuff.
Hunger finally conquers, and we sit down to sandwiches outside The Dog Inn. The rear box proves essential once again, offering a selection of jam, lemon curd and peanut butter. ILB gets the jam. We dine beneath the outstretched arms of the ‘jack in the box’ scarecrow, trying not to notice that the closer you are, the more it looks like it will kill you.

0730 passes, and we leap aboard the bikes once again. ILB apes a good friend of ours, by trying to engage with cleat covers in place. Good boy. One final scarecrow of a little boy waves us off as we retreat back into the mists.

At 0850 we give up looking for sustenance, and raid the box once again. Ten minutes after resuming, we hit a ringroad near Sudbury, to find a MacDonalds serving breakfast. Ideal opportunity for our third breakfast of the day really, so we circle it on at least 3 sides before entering via the ‘no entry’ exit of the drive thru lane. Forty very pleasant minutes pass. We eat. We use the facilities. We take some time out of the saddle. We’re 7 hours into the ride, 75 miles from home, seemingly in Suffolk, and restored to health by carcinogens and mechanically reconstituted meat.

The fog finally lifts, the skies tweak the chroma setting from white to blue, and the day starts in earnest. By 1045, we’re on B1078 through The Green at Ladyfield, enjoying the views and stealing greetings from the Sunday morning dog walkers. All is looking very good. The GPS is happy. ILB is powering along. I’m counting cars (up to 5 already!) and settling into the pace. We're both eating plenty of flies.

20 minutes later, we hit the second ‘known issue’. As the last great unknown between us and the coast, this 300 yard section sees the GPS track swing left from the relatively minor Coddenham Road, disappear on the approach to the A14, and magically reappear north of the A140. 6 lanes of traffic have been skipped in between. I’ve been putting off thinking about it.

Ok. Well, we can’t teleport, so will have to just hit the roundabout on the dual carriageway. At least it’s the first exit. North up the A140, and I'm thinking a fast dual carriageway is decidedly at odds with the quiet lanes of the recent 50 miles. Confidence ebbs with every passing car, and we are surprised to discover we have become utterly acclimatised to traffic free routes. A couple of hundred yards in, a bail out opportunity presents itself in the form of local services and we gladly take it. If nothing else, it'll at least offer a discrete opportunity to park up, zoom out a little and check the route again.

We roll into the car park to find around 200 Harleys, resplendent with matching owners. Ok. This may not be as discrete as we'd hoped. 7 minutes pass whilst I simultaneously attend to the needs of GPS and crowd, all of whom have a question about my chainline, suspension, top speed, outlay, braking, comfort, etc.. ILB reliably goes mute in new company, shuts down, and waits for it to pass :biggrin:

At 1115, we exit back onto the A140, wobble up the hill and peel right across the constant stream of cars heading to/from Waveney. Country lanes resume, and the little line on the GPS pops back under my tyres. Good. We don't see any road markings for 40 minutes.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Part II

Pleasant villages punctuate green fields, the road hums under our tyres. Lunch is calling, and the back box has been raided pretty heavily. Shops seemed only to be placed where people have successfully drilled for confectionary, and I begin to wonder if we will even find a supermarket before the 4 o'clock Sunday cut off. Just South of Framlingham we spy a petrol station and pull in on the basis that they at least offer shade if not supplies. Fortunately for us, they offer a healthy stock of sandwiches, chocolate bars (mars muffins?) and cool drinks. We stand infront of the chiller cabinet like pilgrims before the Wizard of Oz.

Eventually we make our choices and are served by an unfortunate individual who may have been male or female, but is not a particularly successful model of either. "Thanks Guv" I punt, but get only a scowl in response. Oh well. 50/50.

A Boost bar and mineral water replenish me for the run to the beach, and at 1230 we rejoin the mad dogs and Englishmen in the final leg of our outbound route. The sun spies us immediately and hits us with the force of a blast furnace. There is such an abundance of daylight beating down on my legs and arms, I am pretty sure I'd measure as heavier. The road adjacent to the castle is being resurfaced, and the crucible of tar is looking like a welcome splash pool for a cool down. We briefly consider re-routing before ploughing up the pavement alongside the workers. This stretch, at least, will be nice and smooth for next week's Dynamo.

Scanning ahead, the GPS is only offering 12 more instructions before 'END'. Things are beginning to look possible again. We continue North East with a feeling of accomplishment, tinged with a slight metallic aftertaste as we recognise that the real ride is about to begin. A mile north of the A1120 we spy Dunwich Lane and begin to head East. We're already catching the scent of sun lotion diffused with sea water, the chemical odour of plastic beachballs going sticky in the heat. The beach is definitely just up ahead. We see signs for car parks, footpaths, dunes, this is it, not quite, this then, no, 800 metres, no, almost there, ok, this is getting stupid, and just as we thought it'd never happen... CAFE!

Ten to two, and we finally sit down to steak pie, chips, two burgers, chips again, and a pair of ice creams to finish. Mmmmmm... 130 miles deserves a treat, and treat we do. Conversation turns to the route home. ILB suggests taking the 'direct' route (A12) back to Ipswich, then making it up from there down, as the road gets a bit big. This doesn't sound like a fantastic idea. I'm sitting on a GPS with a trackback feature that'll guide us home (admittedly down a few dead ends) and it'll get us there in under 130 traffic free miles if we shave off the bigger redundant loops. By the time we've finished the ice creams, its quarter to three. I struggle with the maths for a while, pull out the blackberry and try to work out 130 miles divided by 14.8 (our average speed). Hmmmm... just under 9 hours. That puts us back home by midnight, with no breaks. I have a look over at ILB. He has no shoes on... This is a bad sign™. I refactor a little. Let's say London by midnight, home by 1. ILB has no socks on either.... Let's say London by half past, home before 2...

...and so, the return loop begins. ILB speeds ahead, and I drag myself up out of the car park in 6 shades of the wrong gear. The heat continues to build, but we're quickly checking off waypoints from the outbound route. Within minutes, we're being waved through the roadworks at Framlingham by a cycle friendly county mountie. ILB pops up onto the pavement, whilst (recumbent) I opt to stay on the road. 4 hours of burning sunlight has done little to cure the surface, and I fear next week's Dun Runners may find a set of tramlines carved in. My apologies.

The roads are familiar, and by five past four we're already back at the petrol station. This time, I remember to grab the local rag "Suffolk Norfolk Life" magazine, offer a conciliatory "cheers my love" and claim my second scowl in return. Ok. Maybe neither then.

Twenty minutes in the shade of the forecourt, top up the water, buy another Boost bar, drink some Powerade, pick the tar off my tyres, and hope that the heat of the day has now passed. From the outbound journey, we know there will be no chance of shade, or supplies until Sudbury. ILB expands his stock with a bar mounted sandwich, taped up and carried for next 40 miles or so. In the interim, a constant stream of insects generously supply us with protein and sun protection. The roads are smooth. The pace is fast. Things are getting hilly again.

I know its a good sign when I see the route ahead split into two. Option one is the vortex of the A140 services. Option 2 gives us a second punt at teleportation. We scribe a third loop around the outside of the roundabout, and rejoin Coddenham Road opposite a tiny footpath with an underpass symbol on it. Ah... suddenly that makes sense.

MacDonalds can only be a few miles away now, and I checked the closing time on my way out at breakfast. All will be fine. Taking advantage of prior experience, we make our way directly to the 'no entry' sign. Parking up at twenty past seven, we're so confident that we don't even bother to buy food. Diet coke for me, full on fatty for ILB. Conversation turns again to our progress so far the route back. Hmmm.. This is beginning to look a bit daft. Until now, we'd been thinking of this as little more than a FNRttC and back. Ok, so its a different coast, but its also flatter and at our pace. This should be fine. But somehow we've got 182 miles on the clock already today, and there's another 75 between us and home. Less than 40 miles down the road is the mythical marker of 219 miles, our previous maximum, and that ended with a bail...

The mind game starts to beat us, and we begin to construct a defence.
"Its not a 250 mile ride. Its just a 75 mile ride home."
"The clock resets when we get off the bikes."
"We're fed, and watered, rested and only 60 miles from London."
"People just turn up and go on 60 mile rides."
"60 mile rides are rides where you set off and say 'Oh, I forgot my water bottle' and don't worry about it"
"60 miles is less than two commutes"
"60 miles is nothing."
"And London to home doesn't even count."
"Easy"
"Let's go"

Unbelievably, this works. We plough off at a renewed pace. With refreshed minds we begin to spot roads we've travelled on other rides. A crossing we malnavigated with Aperitif; a sharp descent from The Red Lion pub at Finchingfield; about 2/3rds of Essex, etc. ILB is up ahead, powering away without issue. Slowly, cars begin to appear on the roads. At eight thirty, they start switching on their headlamps. We've battled with the sun all day. First refusing to burn off the mists, then furiously over reacting and burning just about everything, now sulking low in the sky and threatening to drop us into blackness. I'm looking at the GPS battery, and wondering how far it'll get us with the backlight on...

3674383493_6a7ea93106_b.jpg

Finchingfield isn't far from home. We passed through here before breakfast, after all. Its getting damp again. These must be the lowlands before Epping. Half nine, its getting dark. Our lights go on. Back into the endless Rodings, back past the scarecrows. 10 o'clock. Properly dark now. Not much further. We're actually looking forward to the boring road through Epping Forest. Half ten. Darkness in a way quite foreign to suburbanites. Glad to have the Cyo with me. 11 o'clock, North Weald. This is it. Boring road up ahead. Definately. Ten past, we hit Epping, swing left and aim for town. Judder judder judder. Glimpse of Canary Wharf. Road stretching out into the blackness ahead. Sky turning orange under sodium onslaught. Ten to twelve, routing *under* the roundabout of the North Circular, avoids two cattle grids, but denies cognitive mapping. Many meerkat like emergences onto the wrong road, popping up and down in trial and error until the arrow on the GPS lines up with the onward route.

3674384611_8140cd71f8_b.jpg

Just before midnight we see our first London Bus, then a dedicated cycle lane, speed humps, streetlights, shop windows, pedestrians, all the trappings of the contemporary city. Bendy buses still roam the night out here, but by twenty past twelve we're back in the park, facing a very pleasant blue bridge. I forget to set the GPS to route 1, and spend a fairly useless 10 minutes riding down random turnings only to be routed back to 'END'. Heading due South, we make our way back to the river, recognise the tunnel entrance with 3 metres to spare, swing through and pick our way back up Bromley Hill to home.

I split with ILB at the top of the High Street, him going on to Orpington, me rolling to Hayes and bumping up the driveway at 0145. Just enough time to make a shake, turn off the camera, pop the magazine on the breakfast table, and seek a pillow.

Timelapse vid at youtube.

redjedi

Über Member
Well done Andy's :biggrin:

Great write up. I'm really looking forward to the Dun Run now. Although not so much the return leg.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Err, excuse my ignorance, but what's a Mouseketeer? I've seen the logo but I'm none the wiser... looking forward to a proper read of the reports later!

Cheers!

Sweltering reportage from the wrecumbent wriding writer. Excellent stuff - to make one shudder, to know...and to understand.:angry: (A12itis and the threat of is 'mouseketeer crack')

A good ride done justice. "The Harley and the IlB" - sounds like a Christmas ditty, not a sweaty scenario - shame to have missed it.

Well done both of you on completing this toughie.:angry:

Tynan

Veteran
heroic stuff

and I like the subtle undercurrent of gruelling effort and desperation beneath the breezy day out

we'll be setting off on the return lef a lot earlier jedi, granted a lot slower too most likely

and no Rotherhithe tunnel malarky, not for me anyway, thankfully my house isa right turn just after Epping Forest, although I'll be making the missing miles by riding to the start

a definite slower ride in today as the legs start to prepare and I'm taking the Lady Wife to the theater on Friday so a rest day! Doubtless offset by drinking too much

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

scoosh said:
:angry: What a great ride and report :angry: !
Cheers Scoosh. I'm watching the progress bar on the vid as we speak. When its up, it'll be a hell of a lot quicker than reading all the above :biggrin:

redjedi said:
I'm really looking forward to the Dun Run now. Although not so much the return leg.
Don't worry. Its only the last 125 miles that are tough.

Fab Foodie said:
Err, excuse my ignorance, but what's a Mouseketeer?

The Mouseketeers are a deviant clique of cyclechat, corrupting straight line routing, seeking unpleasant (and often unnecessary) roads, and celebrating the unattainable. We were named by ChrisKH in this post after he and Sig joined us on a ride home from Manningtree. Membership is not fixed, and relies only on you tackling something you really shouldn't.:sad:

Aperitif said:
Shame to have missed it.
Why not do another time travel ride and join us? We're leaving last Sunday.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Fab Foodie said:
Err, excuse my ignorance, but what's a Mouseketeer? I've seen the logo but I'm none the wiser... looking forward to a proper read of the reports later!

Cheers!

seems to be a generic term for anyone foolish enough to allow Arallspop or Aperitif to influence their ride decisions.

Great report Andy, that's one long day, I'm still of the view that 12 hours saddle time is enough for any 24 hour period:ohmy:

stevevw

Guru
Arallsop
I know ILB is off on a little trip next weekend but will you be repeating last weekends ride this weekend?

ChrisKH

Guru
Excellent! Give me some of what you guys are taking please.

"...the chemical odour of plastic beachballs going sticky in the heat" I particularly liked. :angry:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

stevevw said:
Will you be repeating last weekends ride this weekend?

Regrettably, no. It would have been good, but my pass card doesn't have any dates free until the last week of July. Of course, there are serious plans underfoot for 4 and a half of those days, but more of that later.

ChrisKH said:
Excellent! Give me some of what you guys are taking please.
Thanks Chris. Its the Boost bars. I'm telling you. Definitely taking them up to Edinburgh. :tongue:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Awsome write up!

Cracked me up in parts!

But a big well done!! And two Mcds in one day... am jealous.. still, my local kebabby would have been open at both setting off and home times if i had come! Happy Days! hehehe!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Good write up ... apart from you seem to have missed the bit where presumably you checked into some establishment for the mentally unstable where they would prevent you from creating new rash ideas about a "nice day out":biggrin:

Top Bottom