England : Warwickshire Ride to Warwicks 2014?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Inspired by @Flying Dodo 's Diddy Dun Run and Dover rides, and @CharlieB 's Bucks ride I'd like to fly a kite for a possible long ride next year.

I know it's a long while away yet, but I thought I'd moot it while the idea is still floating round my head. Otherwise time will fly by.

How about a ride from London to the village of Marton in Warwickshire? I have friends who live on a farm near there, and they'd be happy (yes I have asked them) to host a small(ish) gathering of cyclists (outside if it's nice, in the workshop if it's raining) and I could arrange some nosh. Limit would be 20-odd people, and I don't think that would be threatened.

Marton is about 95 miles (+/- depending on route) from central London, and about 10 miles from each of Rugby, Coventry and Leamington Spa railway stations for return journeys.

This could be a night ride, with a halfway stop at the 24 hour Tescos in Buckingham (that's over half way, there may be better) and breakfast in Marton at about 10am, and riders would then have to make their own way to one of the nearby stations.

It would need to be in the spring, as it's quite a long way and I for one need time to build my fitness back up after winter hibernation, and get some route recces done. Possibly May. Timed to fit in with the FNRttC calendar, naturally.

A possible alternative would be a day ride, starting stupidly early in London (say 7am ish) and stopping along the way to pick up passengers at, say, Berkhamsted or Hemel Hempstead at 10ish and arriving in Marton for late afternoon tea. It would be roughly 60-odd miles from Berkhamsted to Marton (not forgetting the extra 10 to the station after).

There's a notional route here although the route out of London is nothing but guesswork. Don't take it seriously.

Any theoretical expressions of interest? Criticism of the idea (constructive or otherwise)?

Interesting. An early Saturday or Sunday morning start would be fine on those roads out of London, and the rest looks OK. So it would then also work as a night ride if you wanted.

Kies

Would love to do that as a day or night ride. We have family friends not too far away so an ideal place to meet the Mrs after.

Edit: if this ride is in early spring - might be an idea to do a day ride so the temperature rises. My knees prefer warmth at all times :smile:

Last edited:

Kies

Says the man who has bailed more times than Felix Baumgartner !

Felix is my hero !

robjh

Legendary Member
I might be interested, especially if it was a Sunday. I'm currently working in Cov and it would be a nice way of getting up there for the week, but things could all change between now and then.

Top Bottom