England : Warwickshire Ride to Warwicks 2014?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
A Grand Day Out.
Thank you to DT for the perfect routing, the choice of the ArTea (sp?) rooms and the organisation, and to Mrs. DT, Monica for the spread at the end in Marton.
Thank you to everyone else for the company and to @Eddie_C for guiding me into Coventry at a scary average speed to get a slow train back to Berko.
Chapeau to all who did the whole trip from HPC, as it was well over the ton. Only 89 for me for the day.
Footnote: on the train, updating mycylinglog, I noted I had to do another 6 miles to get 800m for May. Dropping down the hill into Chesham, at the end of my road, I was still a mile short, so I had to do some pootling round a block or two to get there.
Tea and some loud music beckons.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Firstly, I must apologise to Dogtrousers - I said I'd let him know if I had to bail out. I hadn't thought that through, as it seems to have caused a bit of confusion. Sorry about that.

I left the house just after 12, and got back just before 9, 108 miles later... That was a little bit more than I had really planned - but it was too good a day to waste! Lovely to see you all, even if it were only for a far too short ten miles. But I really couldn't have made it to Pottersby and back, so next time perhaps. But there were plenty of wonderful Warwickshire lanes as recompense - in fact that whole area is splendid cycling country. If there is ever a repeat, do it! You won't regret it, and DT planned the perfect route. It was a shame to miss FlyingDodo and velovoice - hope your knee gets better soon.

Thanks to DT for organising a splendid day out and Mrs DT for the flans and cake at the end!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks to everyone who came, and congrats to the virgin centurions.

Apologies if I misled anyone by saying there were "no hills". I meant "no hills with a name and reputation like the Beacon or Box Hill". There were indeed quite a few bits that were inclined upwards.

That was my 5th ton since the start of April, and I can confirm that it does get easier!

Last edited:

Eddie_C

Über Member
Thank you DT for a splendid day out, and to Mrs DT for such a wonderful spread at the end.

Thanks for the advice for the best route into Coventry - Charlie and I made the station with plenty of time to spare.

And well done those who've just completed their first century.

Thomk

Guru
Thanks to DT for organizing the ride. Good weather, good company and best of all delicious home cooked food provided by the talented Monica (Mrs DT). I only managed a measly 80 miles but it was my longest ride of the year so it felt something of an achievement.

CharlieB

[QUOTE 3112222, member: 30090"]That was a mini adventure.

Thanks to DT and everyone else for the ride and food at the end. Well done to Steve who before yesterday, his longest ride was 60km.

I left and headed south towards Daventry and was starting to feel it, but past experience had taught me that a bit of hot grub goes a long way. So got to Daventry, went to some TGI Fridays rip off and had a big bowl of Pasta and some pancakes. Refreshed and rested I cracked on and ended up getting home just after two o'clock. 294km which is a snip under 186 miles. Legs are a bit sore and I have some red patches on my legs where I missed with the sun cream.

See some of you this Friday.[/QUOTE]
Chapeau, Lee!

CharlieB

Also:
Quite upset to see a dead hare at the roadside. They are my favourite wild animal indigenous to this country, not least because hares are mystical creatures with magical properties. There's lots of literature out there about that.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Also:
Quite upset to see a dead hare at the roadside. They are my favourite wild animal indigenous to this country, not least because hares are mystical creatures with magical properties. There's lots of literature out there about that.

:sad: I saw that too. It followed hot on the heels of two dead rats.

It seems to be quite a fatal route, as the recce rides had many dead things too. Including several badgers and a duck that would not have looked out of place mounted on Damian Hurst's Nan's wall.

Hares are relatively common on the Yorkshire Wolds, but I rarely see them elsewhere, darn Sarf.
I once saw some "boxing". I was in an aeroplane at the time and they were on the grass of Newcastle airport!

Edit: Just done a bit of reading. The story relating to hares that I remember is of Boudica releasing a hare and the way in which it turned was used for divination. It's possible that we weren't too far away from the site of Boudica's ultimate defeat by the Romans as it was somewhere near Watling St (the A5) and some have suggested Paulerspury, just up the road from where we had lunch (but others have suggested miles away).

Last edited:
Top Bottom