RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran

None, aside from the early start. I'd plot a conservative route keeping clear of the road closures. There's plenty of places south of the river you could safely leave a car all day and ride in/back to if you didn't want to fork out for a parking place.

I dont mind paying the official car park fee, but do you know what time they open?

I am guessing you have to get there very early, and ive no issue with that either.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We've booked the hotel for next year, and we try for a ballot place tomorrow , if we don't get in we'll go for a charity place. However we won't ask for donations or sponsorship, we'll just donate the full amount ourselves. Extravagant I know, but we believe the event is worth it.

This year we raised over 1200 quid for the RLS100, last year we raised over 3600 quid for the Marathon. Probably a bit much asking folk for donations next year.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
not transferable but if you go to excel to sign on there are no checks after that so you could pass it on.... i'd offered mates beer or dinner this year if they got in,
Having now seen it first hand, in the wet you could happily just sneak on to the course there were no checks after Excel. And no one seemed to care, I didn't see many stewards on the route who I think would have made a fuss.

It's possible they might do checks when you're standing still, or if you tried to use the hubs, but I doubt it. A fake number where the transponder should be if you're that way inclined. The thing is, I guess if they caught you, specifically if you were involved in an accident they would be as unhappy as they could be, at the least blacklisting anyone involved but if there were injuries involved then seriously looking for compensation (and it's not like the Pru aren't skilled at that). I'd not do it, but then most people who break the rules presume they'll never get caught so the risks don't matter, do they?

sleaver

Veteran
Unless people have already seen, the entry for next year has been raised by £10 to £58 although they have said it will stay at that for 2016 as well. They said it was due to the cost of putting the event on.

However we won't ask for donations or sponsorship, we'll just donate the full amount ourselves. Extravagant I know, but we believe the event is worth it.
That is what I have been thinking. Save a bit each month and it shouldn't be that bad. Hopefully the organisers haven't increased the prices for charities as well as that would then get passed on to the riders.

One thing I have been thinking, I wonder how many ballot places will be taken up by people who pulled out on Saturday with a 'medical'? I'm not thinking of the honest ones, I'm thinking where the reason was "I'm allergic to rain".

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I dont mind paying the official car park fee, but do you know what time they open?

I am guessing you have to get there very early, and ive no issue with that either.
They start closing roads at 5am, they want you there an hour before your start and your wave is open an hour before your start (with a 20 minute arrival window). The cycle to the start takes longer than you think, the closed roads mean the traffic around them backs up all over and you can't make the pace you might think. Once at the park there's a fair bit of sign chasing to find your start (I might be bias as I came from the south and my green start was the northernmost one.) if you arrive just as your wave closes because you were dropped off slightly late and then took longer than you'd hoped to get there then the start feels rushed, I had time for a wee but was glad I didn't need more, you slowly shuffle forwards so stopping to kit up then needing to double back to pick your glasses up off the bin where you'd left them will out you at the back of your wave...

Colin_B

What would be the best car park to use if you wanted to go to excel to register and then get a few hours sleep in the car before riding to the start ?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
A few hours? Excel closes at 8pm on the Saturday, first wave is going to fill some time after 5 on Sunday but you could be a couple of hours later than that. If a night sleeping in your car sounds like the best prep then maybe drive out a bit and back in on the Sunday?

Colin_B

A few hours? Excel closes at 8pm on the Saturday, first wave is going to fill some time after 5 on Sunday but you could be a couple of hours later than that. If a night sleeping in your car sounds like the best prep then maybe drive out a bit and back in on the Sunday?
Just looking at the possibilities at the moment if I get a place though the ballot. Its a estate car so I can lay out flat :smile:

I so want to enter the ballot, but the logistics of getting into London from down here are a mare. Hotels are already booked up .
I wondered if this was true so had a look at travelodge site. It turns out that you can only book 325 days ahead, so it's still possible to get a room there, as 1/8 isn't on sale yet.

By picking another Saturday, it seems the city airport one (for example) is £59 with full refund up to day of stay.

Peteaud

Veteran
I wondered if this was true so had a look at travelodge site. It turns out that you can only book 325 days ahead, so it's still possible to get a room there, as 1/8 isn't on sale yet.

By picking another Saturday, it seems the city airport one (for example) is £59 with full refund up to day of stay.

I used Premier Inn. :banghead:

didnt think about TL :idea:

vickster

Legendary Member
One thing I have been thinking, I wonder how many ballot places will be taken up by people who pulled out on Saturday with a 'medical'? I'm not thinking of the honest ones, I'm thinking where the reason was "I'm allergic to rain".

Probably several thousand. Even before the weather forecast, at my volunteer training, Pru said that they expect 20-21k riders of the 24k, so it could be more if there were other late withdrawals

Perhaps people who've not had ballot places before should get first dibs (of course this may already be so). Perhaps if people want to ride again, they should do it for charity

vickster

Legendary Member
What time does the ballot open tomorrow ?
The online ballot for places in next year’s Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 will open on www.PrudentialRideLondon.co.uk on Monday 18 August 2014.

The ballot will close on Monday 5 January 2015 or when 100,000 registrations have been received – whichever is earlier. The 2014 ballot, which accepted 80,000 registrations, closed in less than four weeks.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Incidentally, unless Laura Trott is waving you off, being at the back or front of your wave doesn't matter because timing starts when you cross the line and your wave will be right on top of the wave that's gone and very closely followed by the next one (was for me anyway).

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Probably several thousand. Even before the weather forecast, at my volunteer training, Pru said that they expect 20-21k riders of the 24k, so it could be more if there were other late withdrawals

Perhaps people who've not had ballot places before should get first dibs (of course this may already be so). Perhaps if people want to ride again, they should do it for charity
From what I remember, aren't ballot places treated differently to charity places for medical drops. They said almost 21k finished, so there can't be many more than 3k medicals.

Top Bottom