Riding with a weaker friend.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

How do people deal with this?

Fair play to my mate, we go out and usually within 5 miles he's out of his comfort zone, but obviously I want to get the most out of my ride.

Most of the time I get up the hills as quick as I can, then slow down the descent to allow him to speed up. However, recently I've had to actually stop and wait for him. Again, not a problem! It gives me a break if anything... But I'd like to give myself a workout.

Any ideas how I can kind of get more out of my ride without leaving him for dust? Obviously I could leave him when we get back and do another ride, but I'd prefer to maximise my gains whilst helping him along.

LocalLad

Could you do a certain bit with him, treat it as a warm up, then split your route so you go further and harder, and agree to meet somewhere like a cafe. Whoever is there last buys the cake. Then, finish the ride with him

This way, you both get a good ride, and the social side of it

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I would go ride on my own every now and then, I am a club ride leader so we are always waiting for someone, but that is all part of riding with a club, but through out the week i do different rides with different people, Some of the rides people wait for me. It's swings and round abouts. It a feel good thing when you help someone along, But you do need to do your own thing.:okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can imagine you zooming off all the time and waiting is pretty demoralising for him, but him being your mate he's not going to say.
Help your friend, stay with him and encourage, which means riding with him rather then buggering off ahead all the time.
Afterwards, go do your own thing,

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Blast a 50 mile sub 2 hour ride out before you meet up.

Or do as I do in these circumstances and help the guy, in every way possible, offer protection from the elements. Not forgetting do not waive your willy in front of them.
Cheers.

Luckily we're both in the military, so we have a backbone. I think his cock is bigger than mine anyway.

So.. Back to reality. Good options! I do go out on my own, which is probably why I'm slightly quicker than he is. I also encourage him without being pedantic, as I'm sure he's a faster runner, swimmer and probably everything else than me. He can do better, he's just a lazy stinker on a bike.

kiriyama

My dad has recently got back into cycling. He's a runner so his fitness is pretty good still, but he is older and heavier than me so a fair bit slower on the hills. When im riding on my own I mainly do shorter high intensity rides due to lack of time. So joining him on a weekend for a longer slower ride is a welcome change. It's good to mix up your training anyway, no need to go hell for leather every ride. Maybe use your rides with your mate as recovery rides and try not to worry about looking rubbish on strava!

Also he has a lot more experience of the area and knows some good roads I'd previously never considered riding.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

My dad has recently got back into cycling. He's a runner so his fitness is pretty good still, but he is older and heavier than me so a fair bit slower on the hills. When im riding on my own I mainly do shorter high intensity rides due to lack of time. So joining him on a weekend for a longer slower ride is a welcome change. It's good to mix up your training anyway, no need to go hell for leather every ride. Maybe use your rides with your mate as recovery rides and try not to worry about looking rubbish on strava!

Also he has a lot more experience of the area and knows some good roads I'd previously never considered riding.
Are you joking? It doesn't count if it wasn't on strava, you lunatic.

How do people deal with this?

Fair play to my mate, we go out and usually within 5 miles he's out of his comfort zone, but obviously I want to get the most out of my ride.

Most of the time I get up the hills as quick as I can, then slow down the descent to allow him to speed up. However, recently I've had to actually stop and wait for him. Again, not a problem! It gives me a break if anything... But I'd like to give myself a workout.

Any ideas how I can kind of get more out of my ride without leaving him for dust? Obviously I could leave him when we get back and do another ride, but I'd prefer to maximise my gains whilst helping him along.
This maybe not the answer but i had a weak mate and we would bike to a pre decided destination and after a few mile i would pull away from him and wait his arrival at said destination. It worked for us . And i waited for him on the way back sometimes 20 mins. This meant we had more to speak about when we caught up with each other.

kiriyama

Are you joking? It doesn't count if it wasn't on strava, you lunatic.

I used to feel the same about strava, but learnt sometimes it's better to enjoy the ride than worry about segment times. And you can always go back another day on your own and smash the segment! You don't have to be going 100% all the time or it can become a chore!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I went out with a colleague for the second time last month. First time was with a large group and he complained that it was too slow. This time it was a much smaller group and much better riders - he was last up all the hills. :whistle: I wonder if he will come out with me again.

Top Bottom