Robbed and stabbed for an iphone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lazy

lazy

You need to contact your local victim support group. They will help with the way you are feeling and you can talk it through with them . It must have been very frightening and you will naturally feel like this after. 20 stitches!!! Did he use a meat cleaver?! He must have almost severed your finger!!

Yes i have been in touch with them, they said they will get in touch.
i think it was a knife it went through my middle finger and de-gloved on its way out. it was very nasty blood all over. i hope no one has to go through this.

TreeHuggery

cant imagine how horrendous that must have been for you - like others have said on here, don't beat yourself up, most people aren't like that, and we all of us expect people to be decent human beings.....glad you're ok - as with what buggy and others have said you need to look after yourself and get some support - but I also think you need to look on your constabularies website at their mission statement, and quote back the relevant part of their mission statement in a complaint.

OP
OP
lazy

lazy

Get Well Soon.
What a horrendous experience. Is there any CCTV in your street at all? Not that the police would dream of using it to get a conviction. We were told, by police, that the street CCTV was not admissible in court after a burglary.

Take the time to get better and +1 on the victim support thing.

police were not keen on CCTV, they could have obtained council CCTV footage which work in collaboration with them but i strongly feel the detective was being very passive and was not very keen to look for options.

i am just giving them time i will defiantly make some noise because if they wont make any arrests the criminals will be more encouraged and more people will get hurt.

classic33

Leg End Member
With you I wotsit details the handset Can be tracked.
http://www.nmpcu.police.uk/

Profpointy

Legendary Member

IMEI is the phone's identity (international mobile equipment identity) - nothing to do with the SIM.

SIM itself doesn't matter - so long as the network deletes your account, the SIM is just scrap plastic and can't be used to access the network. SIM is in a sense part of the network, and can't be used elsewhere at all - unlike the phone, which could be used elsewhere with another SIM in it. Phones can be (mostly) blocked by other networks, at least the more reputable ones - maybe more questionable ones in distant parts of the world might not be as diligent

classic33

Leg End Member
IMEI is the phone's identity (international mobile equipment identity) - nothing to do with the SIM.

SIM itself doesn't matter - so long as the network deletes your account, the SIM is just scrap plastic and can't be used to access the network. SIM is in a sense part of the network, and can't be used elsewhere at all - unlike the phone, which could be used elsewhere with another SIM in it. Phones can be (mostly) blocked by other networks, at least the more reputable ones - maybe more questionable ones in distant parts of the world might not be as diligent
The reason behind blocking the SIM Card is so no calls can be made on it. Any made using it, you can be liable for. Its listed in your name, so any prank calls made from it, your liable & they have your address.
As you say its seperate from the phone, so can be used in another handset. Unless blocked. Also required if you intend to keep the number

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The reason behind blocking the SIM Card is so no calls can be made on it. Any made using it, you can be liable for. Its listed in your name, so any prank calls made from it, your liable & they have your address.
As you say its seperate from the phone, so can be used in another handset. Unless blocked. Also required if you intend to keep the number

Doesn't quite work like that, but you do need to tell the network certainly. The point is the SIM (subscriber identity module) is configured to work in the network and then the network is loaded up with your details. Strictly speaking, the phone number isn't even in the SIM (albeit there's something called the IMSI - which is a bit like a phone number used behind the scenes). You cancel your account, and they delete the SIM's details from the network, and send you a new SIM out. Phone number remains in the network.

.... sorry, realise I'm being a bit geeky - yes, do tell the network to "block the SIM" as well.

Keeping the number isn't an issue unless you cancel the account entirely

By "they have your address" I take it you mean the network does?

EDIT - having re-read the above, I've just remembered I'm not signing off a technical spec for the workflow - so I think your lay persons summary of "block the SIM" is probably good enough !

Last edited:
Top Bottom