Rohloffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pkeenan

Über Member
Already passed on my congratulations on your initial thread - but I hope you enjoy many years and miles with your new steed!

T1PAU

A red Rholoff!

Rholoff.jpg

OP
OP
P

P.H

Über Member
View attachment 22266
I would like to try a stem about one inch longer as I felt this would just about put the icing on the cake.

Assuming you had a fitting before having the frame custom made, I'd do a lot more miles before making any changes to position. It could just be that you just need to get used to it. The only bike I bought on the basis of a fitting was a Hewitt tourer, I thought it was completely wrong for the first couple of hundred miles, then thought it was OK for a few hundred, than after about a thousand miles I bought the bits to change my other bikes to match as it was perfect! It's simple when you think about it, what feels right is what you're used to, which may not necessarily be what's best.

pkeenan

Über Member
Would definitely agree with P.H there. This bike you've just got is probably in a *completely* different league to anything you've ridden, so it's bound to feel different. When I first got my Thorn Nomad I worried about my choice of handle bars (I went for butterfly) because it felt so unfamiliar to my other bike (a racing bike set up!).
I stuck it out, and in a matter of a handful of rides I was happy that I'd made the right choice.

Now, many thousands of miles later it's exactly the same. The only changes I am considering being purely cosmetic (some Brooks bar tape)!!

Crankarm

Guru
Nice looking bike. So how much was it?

Does it have horizontal rear drop outs as I can't see a torque arm on the non drive side if it had vertical drop outs?

Also the belt drive. Is it the CDX centre track version?

Why no disc brakes?

The future is orange ;).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
View attachment 22266

PS. The bike slept well the first night back home in the living room (don’t think the boss was too happy) and yes it was of money but as yet I still haven’t found a shroud with pockets in.

Time to get out and do some miles now and live by my number one motto

“Not many men on their death beds wished they had spent more time at work”

You need to have firm words with your wife. My Woodrup is still in the living room fourteen months after taking delivery. I was surprised by the lack of rear carrier on your bike. I have a Tortec rack and it has served me well as a carrier for my panniers and rear light.

After a few rides I too had my stem and steerer height adjusted. I had the stem shorted by a few centimetres and more spacers inserted under the stem. I'm sure that Woodrups will make the adjustments for you. It would be a good excuse to come down to Leeds for a 'pie run' :thumbsup:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
What's the ancient monument just behind the bike?

That's no way to talk about Rockymountain.

Skipper9999

Nice looking bike. So how much was it?

Does it have horizontal rear drop outs as I can't see a torque arm on the non drive side if it had vertical drop outs?

Also the belt drive. Is it the CDX centre track version?

Why no disc brakes?

The future is orange ;).

Cost , like when my son asked I said son asked I told him "Son I can tell you if you really want to know ? But then I will have to kill you so you never tell your mother !!"
However with the spec I had (Easton and Hope parts added) it was over £3700
photo5.JPG

Not that technical on the drop out but I will say vertical as when I loosened the wheel nut the wheel dropped out the bottom , so that must be vertical? I hope the picture shows a little more detail.

Yes the belt drive is the centre track version, It not so sensitive on the tension being bang on.....I think.

NO discs because I was told the V-Brakes wold stop the bike, and they do. Also maintenance is easier and although you wear the rims out I still think they will give me good life.

The bike is growing on me I love it. More Photos on Flickr

swansonj

Guru
Couple of pics of my fairly standard Thorn Raven Tour. The only slightly unorthodox thing I've done is turn the stem over so it mimics the look of a quill stem. The rack was reused from a 700c bike so is too large really but who cares...

Craving your indulgence for yet more piccies, but I finally have some pictures of my Thorn in a setting which in my opinion does justice to it:
Col du Grand Colombier, ditto (for the second time on the same day!) with Mont Blanc in background, and above the Lautaret on the way to Galibier:

colombier1.jpg
colombier2.jpg
galibier.jpg

Bodhbh

Guru
Couple of pics of my fairly standard Thorn Raven Tour. The only slightly unorthodox thing I've done is turn the stem over so it mimics the look of a quill stem....

And put the bar ends on the inside...but nice to see I'm not the only one!

swansonj

Guru
And put the bar ends on the inside...but nice to see I'm not the only one!
You can just see from the photos I've just added that I now have inboard and outboard bar ends. 80% of riding on the straight bars (with hands poised over the brakes, which was the main reason for going for flat bars not drops). I have the bars quite high because my back objects if I spend extended time leaning too far forward. 10% of riding on outboard bars, for a change of wrist position or when climbing out of the saddle. And 10% on the inboard bars for a more stretched out, aerodynamic position. It looks clumsy but it provides me with all the positions I want. (When I was younger, I valued being able to descend hills, on the drops, aerodynamic and with hands covering brakes - now, when descending big hills, I spend my time maximising drag to limit my speed!)

Top Bottom