Rohloffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
You can just see from the photos I've just added that I now have inboard and outboard bar ends. 80% of riding on the straight bars (with hands poised over the brakes, which was the main reason for going for flat bars not drops). I have the bars quite high because my back objects if I spend extended time leaning too far forward. 10% of riding on outboard bars, for a change of wrist position or when climbing out of the saddle. And 10% on the inboard bars for a more stretched out, aerodynamic position. It looks clumsy but it provides me with all the positions I want. (When I was younger, I valued being able to descend hills, on the drops, aerodynamic and with hands covering brakes - now, when descending big hills, I spend my time maximising drag to limit my speed!)

I tend to spend 80% of my time on the inner bar ends, or at least at the base of them where they clamp and you can still flick the shifters and reach the brakes. It can't be a million miles away from the hand position using the hoods. Over the rough stuff and fast decents (like you I'm not too bothered about the aerodynamics) I'll move my hands outside to the flats. Long flat road sections and headwinds I'll tend to move up towards the ends of the bar ends. Not sure why more people don't put them on the inside (well it looks a bit goofy).

Top Bottom